Tossing in the night, seven bedtime scenes of rest and restlessness from the Psalms

Status
Not open for further replies.

whirlingmerc

Puritan Board Sophomore
Tossing in the night, seven bedtime scenes of rest and restlessness from the Psalms

Designed to be asleep a third of our lives
perhaps that we might know the world can go on without us
Seven scenes of rest and restlessness of the righteous
and one scene more of a wicked plot.

The thought of the heart revealed in rest and restlessness.

Frustrated ...
with injustice and evil, restrained from answering evil with evil, turning to meditate his heart and rest lifted with a Selahs
“Be angry, and do not sin. Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still.” Selah Psalm 4:4
The blessed man has been opposed, heart heavy
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety
This is an evening prayer and a morning prayer will soon follow in Psalm 5

Exhausted and mourning.
hurting with endless tears. A man of sorrows is seen
“I am weary with my groaning; All night I make my bed swim; I drench my couch with my tears.” Psalm 6:6
Yet Psalms of exaltation and victory will follow soon in Psalms 8,9,10

Enter the evil man…
Diagnosis: no fear of God Symptoms: Plotting. Meditating very wrongly. Heart hard. Ceased to be wise. Hates good. Value confusion
“He devises wickedness on his bed; He sets himself in a way that is not good; He does not abhor evil.” Psalm 36:4
Plots futile. If the wicked man overslept to the next psalm 37, he would awake to see that the meek shall inherit the earth.

Strengthened and sustained..
Return to the blessed man, the poor man, even betrayed by a man supposedly helping the poor, so it was thought. The one languishing helped.
“The Lord will strengthen him on his bed of illness; You will sustain him on his sickbed.” Psalm 41:3
Security found in God. As for me, You uphold me in my integrity,
And set me before Your face forever.

Meditating…
Faced with his life stress, your lovingkindness is better than life and finding solace in God, his King. Early will I seek you. Sooner rather than later.
“When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches.” Psalm 63:6
The wicked will be food for jackels and the night thinker, King David, shall rejoice in God and not just him everyone including the reader who swears by Him

Sleeping not, forgetting God not…
David thinking about making preparations for the house of God,
Somehow the satisfaction of the poor, the promise to David and the glory of God meeting.
“Surely I will not go into the chamber of my house, Or go up to the comfort of my bed;” Psalm 132:3
Plans not forgotten. Promises not forgotten.

Seen by God...
There is no bed, no where, no how, that is too far form God’s view as the Psalmist prays for the great searcher of hearts to turn his searchlights on the Psalmist’s heart to see if there is any evil in me.
“If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.” Psalm 139:8
A plea made for the searcher to turn on the high beams and search out David's heart, even in his opposition to level that there not be evil.

Joy unrestrained....
So filled with joy in a world made right, rejoicing in God, singing in bed.
Let the saints be joyful in glory; Let them sing aloud on their beds. Psalm 149:5
Exuberant yet unrestrained by bedtime

The thought of the heart revealed in rest and restlessness.

The blessed man has journeyed from frustrated by evil
to a happy state so much so they sing in bed.
No mention of evil in Psalm 150

Thy kingdom come Thy will be done

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back