Tower of Babel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnStevenson

Puritan Board Freshman
Why do you think the Tower of Babel Narrative is included in the pages of the Bible? If Moses is indeed the author of this book (and I believe that to be the case), then why would the Israelites in the wilderness needed to have known this story?

This story is the beginning of the table of nations and the dispersion of people and language. This was the time when men first began to call on the name of the Lord. The Israelites were to be a blessing to the nations and Babel gives the genesis of the different peoples.

In the post-flood narrative we come across the descendants of Ham who, under the leadership of Nimrod, settled in the plains of Shinar. Genesis 11 reveals the humanistic nature of their society:

Genesis 11:4 4 And they said, "Come, let us build for ourselves a city, and a tower whose top will reach into heaven, and let us make for ourselves a name; lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth."

Additionally it appears they were not willing to obey part of the Noahic covenant as given by God, "Genesis 9:1 And God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth." We know this by what they said in Genesis 11:4, "...lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth." Of course we know what God did. He confused their speech which resulted in the breakdown of their society and their scattering abroad the face of the whole earth.

John, you're attaching the Babel narrative to Israel in the wilderness. You're also inquiring as to the relevance to Israel at that time. Could their be relevance between the command given by God (Genesis 9:1), the disobedience of the people of Nimrod (Genesis 11:4), the divine act of God in confusing their speech (Genesis 11:8) and the warning given to Israel if they should disobey the command of God? What did God promise He would do to Israel if they persisted in disobedience? Deut. 28 explains in detail. Before the Pentateuch was written these stories were handed down orally. It is probable that all Israel knew the story of Babel. Since Moses wrote the Pentateuch towards the end of his life (a consensus belief held by many) I am not so sure this was written for the period of the wilderness wanderings but for successive generations.

:2cents:

[Edited on 5-11-2006 by BaptistInCrisis]

Scripture gives genealogies of God's chosen (Adam, Seth, ...., Noah, ....) but it also displays the results of the Fall in the genealogy that descends from Cain and then later from Ham. It's a contrast between Grace and Sin.

Originally posted by SemperFideles
Scripture gives genealogies of God's chosen (Adam, Seth, ...., Noah, ....) but it also displays the results of the Fall in the genealogy that descends from Cain and then later from Ham. It's a contrast between Grace and Sin.

That too! :amen:

I heard a rather interesting sermon on the Tower of Babel once. I can't say it was the most theologically astute or accurate depiction of the events therein, but the title was enough to give pause and reflection. It was titled...

"Man's Highrise to Hell"

DTK

Pentecost is the beginning of the reversal of the Tower of Babel, eschatologically speaking. All of the languages were understood at Pentecost, by the power of the Spirit.

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
Pentecost is the beginning of the reversal of the Tower of Babel, eschatologically speaking. All of the languages were understood at Pentecost, by the power of the Spirit.

:up: :up:

Christ is "reversing the curse" pronounced in Eden.

Hallelujah!

Robin

Speaking of the Tower of Babel, I've been to the site in Iraq where ancient Babylon was located. There is an archeological site there. The below picture is what they claim to be part of the foundation of the Tower of Babel:

babel.jpg

Ur of the Chaldees is also in Iraq near the town of Jalibah.

Originally posted by BobVigneault
This story is the beginning of the table of nations and the dispersion of people and language. This was the time when men first began to call on the name of the Lord. The Israelites were to be a blessing to the nations and Babel gives the genesis of the different peoples.
Actually, the Table of Nations is given in the previous chapter, but I agree that there is evidently supposed to be a connection. It seems to me that this is similar to Genesis 1-2 where we see first the panoramic view of creation and then the specific insights in the creation of man.

Your comment about blessing to the nations brings up a new question: Are the people who are at Babel to be blessed in Genesis 12:3?

Deuteronomy 28

Originally posted by BaptistInCrisisDeut. 28 explains in detail. Before the Pentateuch was written these stories were handed down orally. It is probable that all Israel knew the story of Babel. Since Moses wrote the Pentateuch towards the end of his life (a consensus belief held by many) I am not so sure this was written for the period of the wilderness wanderings but for successive generations.
I would suggest that ALL the Scriptures were written for an immediate audience and that Genesis is no exception. That is not to say that there cannot be later applications.

Your reference to Deuteronomy 28 is particularly striking in view that in verse 49 of that chapter, the curse culminates when God brings against rebellious Israel a nation against you from afar, from the end of the earth, as the eagle swoops down, a nation whose language you shall not understand.

Perhaps there is a point here. It is that the curse brought against Babel will have reprecussions against the children of Israel if they also rebel against God.

[Edited on 5-12-2006 by JohnStevenson]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back