Training children to be in worship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ronda:

Is it possible that your original comment might lack some grace and humility?

The statement clearly does show a lack of necessary and valid distinguishing. Merely from your failure to clarify what you mean by "out-of-control" you've offered offense to a number who you clearly did not intend (e.g., medical conditions.) This is not the fault of the reader, as you wrote in a rather blanket manner.

Please, step back for a moment and look at how this is being received by so many. Does that not suggest that while your goals may not be wrong, surely your words were less than edifying?

Only trying to help.

My comments have been about "out-of-control" behavior exhibited in public. Not the occasional crying spell, or diaper-less (and funny) exhibitionism, or uncontrollable seizures.

That's how I took the statement, although while I agreed with the basic post I didn't click the thanks button as I know several forum members have kids with medical conditions and I didn't want to insult them.

Our youngest has Down's, and had disruptive tendencies. Nothing like what Brian has to deal with. Spanking worked with Philip, and he sits quietly, but I can see how it wouldn't work with an autistic kid.

In general, though, I've been a member of several large churches where there just really isn't disruptive behavior as a pattern. I still drives me nuts when kids act up and the parents smile as if it were cute or something. I prefer that when kids act up they are taken out and spanked. But in our modern America you can't expect it so I'm just trying to learn to live with it.

To answer the OP - I posted this on the other toddlers in worship thread. I don't repost to be annoying (I hope!) but the principles here really have helped me train my 3 (well, in process of training my third at the moment - also a very active little boy!). It incorporates teaching basic obedience, but also at this age you're also just teaching them how to have self control and sit without being entertained. It really is possible, and will help in other situations as well (like going out to eat, visiting with friends, etc)
Raising Godly Tomatoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back