Trance music and Scripture meditation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cifrado

Puritan Board Freshman
Before I got saved I was a heavy user of psychedelic drugs, and used to indulge in trance music. Today, being a born again Christian, I no longer use drugs of coarse; however I still enjoy a good piece of trance music. While many people use this type of music to induce euphoria (on drugs). I find it very useful for relaxation, and meditation. That is, inspiration and deep thought. Would you consider it wrong to play this kind of music when reflecting on scripture considering its history? In my own opinion a good piece of trance is like Bach or Beethoven; it never gets old. In general, what do you think about listening to any kind of music whilst meditating on Gods word. Should this be a silent activity? What are your thoughts?

To get a better idea of what I'm talking about, here is a nice piece:

YouTube - Koan - When the silence is speaking

I listen to trance like music when working out or thinking hard (because the lyrics won't distract me). However, if you are using it to "meditate" in the sense of emptying your mind, then I would not advocate this. Silence is often better, IF you can get it. If not, some sort of background music to avoid distractions might be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back