Transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
2,000,000 Thumbs up!

My wife (Dena) and I really enjoyed this movie. I wouldn't take my kids to see it (although there were many at the theater), there are some language problems (not much, but not perfect). I think personally it was one of the best movies I have ever seen. YOU MUST SEE THIS AT THE THEATER!

PLOT was awesome, DIALOGUE great, SEX had some remarks, kissing, etc. no actual sex scenes or nudity, VIOLENCE lots of fighting, no to little blood, LANGUAGE some bad language, not too horrible, WORLDVIEW secular, OVERALL - AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!

I loved it also.

The special effects were mindblowing. I really subconciously thought that the Transformers were actually there.

It was an really great movie from a SciFi angle - but lots of gratuitous language, uses Jesus' name is a flippant manner - brings up adult themes (self gratification, for one) that may confuse/disturb younger children.

I was greatly surprised by the number of kids, and YOUNG YOUNG kids, at that, in the theatre. It was much too violent and gratuitous for that, in my opinion.

I will say there was quite a bit of attention played up on the physical aspect of the young woman. Lots of unneccessary extra camera shots, etc to play up her appearance. She was quite scantily clad a few times.

Some of the lines are kind of rigid and underdeveloped. That wasn't terrible, though.

EXCELLENT movie. One of my very faves. I could see it in the theatre again and again. I was completely caught in it so that I felt I was there. When Andrew and I got in our car, I even told him, "I keep expecting for our car to take off and start moving like one of the transformers." Hehe.

It was exciting, and funny and sad and had great tension and suspense and I was shaking with fear, literally (the good kind) at points, it was so real! I kept nuzzling up to Andrew to "keep away from the bad transformers." Haha. It felt so real, like they were going to come out of the screen!

I truly thought this movie was super! And you HAVE to see it in the theatre.

There was great usage of songs to summarize moments of the movie. I really loved that. For instance, Bumble Bee, which is the yellow camaro, starts playing "Whos gonna drive you home.... tonight" By The Cars when the girl starts walking home. It was excellent.

I felt like a kid!

My brother and I grew up cheering for Optimus Prime.

I enjoyed that they stuck to the original ideas (Autobots, Decepticons, All Spark, homeworld problems, etc.).

The special effects were outstanding. Not just good, but off the chart. Their voices were keen to the original animated series as well.

I do wish they would have taken the plot a little further than what everyone already knew.

I also thought it had a bit too much "campiness" to it. There were parts that were downright cheesy which, to me, ruined it for me. Even certain cartoons of the Transformers were more serious in nature.

The 3 sexual references/scenes were unneedful, stupid and gratuitous.
Using "Jesus" in a flippant manner is inexcusable, but right up there with trendy Christianity. They simply mimicked what a CHristian today may just say in that instance - hey, they are wearing those bracelts still right? WWJD?

My wife thought it started out well, and then went into cheeze-wizz.
I thought it started out serious, got a bit campy, and then tottered at campy/serious.

Still cheering for Optimus Prime.

I'm going to see it again tonight.
face_excited.gif

My thouhts exactly. I liked the 1st half of the movie quite a bit, then it went into cheeze-wiz.

My brother and I grew up cheering for Optimus Prime.

I enjoyed that they stuck to the original ideas (Autobots, Decepticons, All Spark, homeworld problems, etc.).

The special effects were outstanding. Not just good, but off the chart. Their voices were keen to the original animated series as well.

I do wish they would have taken the plot a little further than what everyone already knew.

I also thought it had a bit too much "campiness" to it. There were parts that were downright cheesy which, to me, ruined it for me. Even certain cartoons of the Transformers were more serious in nature.

The 3 sexual references/scenes were unneedful, stupid and gratuitous.
Using "Jesus" in a flippant manner is inexcusable, but right up there with trendy Christianity. They simply mimicked what a CHristian today may just say in that instance - hey, they are wearing those bracelts still right? WWJD?

My wife thought it started out well, and then went into cheeze-wizz.
I thought it started out serious, got a bit campy, and then tottered at campy/serious.

Still cheering for Optimus Prime.

I actually loved the scene where Sam was in his house and the Autobots were hiding outside. It was so cute. ^__^

Awesome

Modified my youngest brother's impressions to fit how I feel.

LOVED IT! Very, very pleased. It went above and beyond anything I expected. I mean, I expected it to be good but it was flat out amazing. The funny parts were funny, the action was non-stop and the Transformers were the Transformers to a T!

Cool cars, good acting, great action and a fun story made for the best movie of the summer.

I really like Shia Labouef. I like he's a great young actor. I'm really excited that he's starring in Indiana Jones 4.

Best young actor today, I'd say.

Did anyone catch the unnamed J.J. Abrams trailer before the movie? The one with the handicam and the head of the statue of liberty? That looked really awesome...

Yep!

Cloverfield

A J.J. Abrams production, so it should not be surprising to hear that a couple of key players from Abrams' television shows are on board.

The writer is Drew Goddard. Goddard has been a producer on both Alias and Lost and served as co-executive producer for the latter shows 2007 episodes. Fans of Joss Whedon also know him as a writer for several episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. Goddard was the principal scribe on Dirty Girls, the episode from Buffy season seven. This episode featured the return of Faith as well as the transition of Nathan Fillion from the recently canceled Firefly to Buffy wherein he portrayed a nefarious, misogynistic man of the cloth. Goddard's work on Angel primarily occurred during that show's final season as well. He wrote the World War II submarine epic, Why We Fight, and earned his place in permanent Whedon-lore for his invention of The Immortal in The Girl in Question. Clearly, he is one of the most inventive and imaginative young writers in the industry. His presence alone is indicative of a quality work in the offing.

Abrams has not left anything to chance, though. He has also hired one of his most trusted co-workers from the early days of Felicity for this project. BOP has confirmed that Matt Reeves is the director on this project. Reeves is the writer/director of the 1996 David Schwimmer comedy, The Pallbearer, and he served as executive producer during the run of Felicity (pre- and post-Keri Russell haircut). Reeves and Abrams created that project together with Reeves even writing and directing the pilot, so their working relationship goes back a decade now. When Goddard came up with the premise for Cloverfield, Reeves was the easy choice to helm the project.

As far as the acting talent goes, BOP has confirmed three stars for the project. The first cast member we can name is Michael Stahl-David. He was last seen as Sean Donnelly in the short-lived NBC drama, The Black Donnellys. Also on board is the lovely Odette Yustman. Humorously enough, Yustman has a role in Transformers, the movie that marked the debut of the massive Internet buzz for Cloverfield. Yustman's body of work thus far is mainly comprised of television appearances. She has had key roles in 2006's South Beach as well as the current ABC drama, October Road. Finally, Lizzy Caplan completes the trend of hard working television actors ready for their big break in movies. Caplan made her debut as Sara in the critical darling from 1999, Freaks and Geeks. She's since had recurring roles on Smallville, The Pitts, Tru Calling, Related, and The Class. Perhaps her most memorable was as Janis Ian in the 2004 blockbuster, Mean Girls.

So, that's the cast and crew of Cloverfield that IMDb doesn't even have yet. As far as the what, BOP doesn't want to spoil too much of the surprise here other than to say the following. It's a good ol' fashioned monster movie that hearkens back to a different era of movie making, but it does so while utilizing the heights of modern special effects. Hollywood has worked to perfect the apocalyptic movie in recent years with works such as 28 Weeks Later and the Dawn of the Dead re-make envisioning what the world would be like as it fell apart. Cloverfield seeks to be the next great "we're under attack and we're all going to die" action drama. After only two minutes of footage, it has immediately become one of the most anticipated titles of 2008.

And if you don't understand why yet, just watch the YouTube video for
an explanation...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=njcHGunU89w

Then, check out the mysterious new site that has shown up to hype the
movie:

http://www.1-18-08.com/

Not coincidentally, January 18, 2008 is currently the date scheduled for the film's release.

Pretty much agree with Dr. McMahon.

I was really surprised by the sexual content...especially the remark about self gratification...I think the "romantic tension" (read sexual), should have been more innocent.

The use of Jesus' name was there...and it is becoming a trend I'm noticing...on T.V. and in movies...they aren't using a generic "God", they're going straight for Jesus.

It was too "campy", but I think they did that on purpose trying to make it like the kids cartoon...which brings up my main beef: If you're going to do that, you ought to stick with content matter that would match the cartoon version...no swearing, no sexual references, etc.

The violence was okay, to me...it was about a war between good and evil...that must be violent.

While the effects were spectacular, I was fairly dissappointed.

I've seen it twice and I still want to see it again. I really think it's one of my favorite movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back