Translation Trouble: Scope

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
In translating some John Brown into Spanish, I've run into a bit of a snag, and was hoping to get some advice.

What is the basic idea behind the older use of the word "scope"?

So John Brown says:
"Q. By what other arguments may we be convinced that the scriptures are the word of God?:
A. By their antiquity, harmony, scope, success, accomplishment of prophecies, and confirmation by miracles and the blood of martyrs."

Obviously the Confession tells us that "the scope of the whole" "is to give all glory to God". But how do you render it? Or how would you rephrase it?

I see on two different Spanish translations of the Standards that "scope" is variously rendered "fin", that is, end or purpose and "designio", that is plan.

Ruben,

I am thinking he means scope in the sense of "breadth" or "field of vision;" that is, that the Scriptures touch on all of life.

It's interesting that you mention that, Fred. I am tossing around "amplitud", "fullness" as a good translation specifically in this context from John Brown. But since it is an explanation of the Shorter Catechism I thought it was conceivable that he was using it as the Confession uses it in I.5.

It's remarkable you should say that, because I thought of saying in my starting post that I was NOT considering the mouthwash brand as a legitimate source of information for my translation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back