Translations of the Septuagint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PointyHaired Calvinist

Puritan Board Junior
Steve and Tim's discussion has gotten me more interested in the Septuagint.

Sir Lancelot Brenton's translation is the most well-known in the English-speaking world (and has the Greek in parallel columns), but the New English Translation of the Septuagint has been released recently and is pretty good from what I've seen.

If I add one to my library, which would be best? For those who have studied, which is the better translation of the LXX?

Johnathan,

I couldn't answer which is the best translation, though what Jobes And Silva comment about the New English Translation of the Septuagint (NETS) I would prefer to stick with the Brenton's, which I have. J&S do not speak poorly of the NETS, this is just my personal choice. Were I an LXX scholar I would get both, plus Rahlfs's critical edition.

If you're in a bookstore which has J&S's book (mentioned in the LXX discussion thread), their comments are on page 76. You could also google the topic and come up with some further views.

Last edited:
I decided to get Brenton's. The NETS is a beautiful piece of bookmaking, but I read enough bad readings online and in the free downloadable version I chose to go with the oldie but goodie. Brenton seems to have a much higher view of scripture, while NETS looks more like it's looking at just an ancient book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back