Tribulation and Suffering

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertPGH1981

Puritan Board Sophomore
When reading the scriptures I have noticed that suffering to a Christian in the First Centrury A.D. was dramatically different from suffering in modern day America. When Paul uses language in Rom_12:12 "Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer." What exactly does he have in mind when he says Tribulation? Is he specifically talking about physical torments and racism against Christians, or does this also include to other struggles like deaths in the family, being cheated by other Christians and family? Would this also include struggles on the Job, in relationships, and struggles with the flesh in general?

What would you say he had in mind? The reason I ask is because we have it so much easier in the United States than our Christian Brothers and Sisters in Ancient Rome.

Here is the definition of the word Tribulation translated from the Greek word thlipsis.

thlipsis (G2347)
thlip'-sis
From G2346; pressure (literally or figuratively): - afflicted, (-tion), anguish, burdened, persecution, tribulation, trouble.

Josh is right, the same Greek word is used in these verses as well:

1 Corinthians 7:28 But even if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. Nevertheless such will have trouble in the flesh, but I would spare you. (1Co 7:28 NKJ)
2 Corinthians 1:4 who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. (2Co 1:4 NKJ)
2 Corinthians 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory (2Co 4:17 NKJ)
James 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world. (Jam 1:27 NKJ)

Robert
What would you say he had in mind? The reason I ask is because we have it so much easier in the United States than our Christian Brothers and Sisters in Ancient Rome.

The only reasons why there isn't physical state persecution is because of the influence of Christianity, the binding of Satan and the restraining of the Holy Spirit.

Many of our brothers and sisters in other countries would love to enjoy the postmil conditions we currently do, and which we may not always have.

but they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree, and no one shall make them afraid, for the mouth of the LORD of hosts has spoken. (Micah 4:4, ESV)

Many of our brothers and sisters in other countries would love to enjoy the postmil conditions we currently do, and which we may not always have.

I thought of this as well when I was writing the question originally. We are blessed that we do not deal with fearing for our lives in the United States. I think the worse that happens to us is that we might be spit on or physically beat. But even in those cases they are very uncommon and extremely rare in the United States.

I was just curious to know that Paul had in mind more physiological torments like break-ups, loneliness, depression, divorces, deaths and personal conflicts. Would he actually consider that tribulation? Based on rbcbob's responses below it looks like they would fall into the tribulation category.

Josh is right, the same Greek word is used in these verses as well:

1 Corinthians 7:28 But even if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. Nevertheless such will have trouble in the flesh, but I would spare you. (1Co 7:28 NKJ)
2 Corinthians 1:4 who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. (2Co 1:4 NKJ)
2 Corinthians 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory (2Co 4:17 NKJ)
James 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world. (Jam 1:27 NKJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back