True holiness is from Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (The Lord's Prayer, John 17:24), Works 2:211-212:

(1.) There is no true holiness but what is from Christ, who is made of God unto us sanctification, 1 Cor. 1:30. None are sanctified but by faith in him, Acts 26:18. It is Christ’s image in them. All the moral virtues of the Heathen, for all their splendid lustre, had not any bit of true holiness in them. And so is it as to the morality that is so prized and praised by many. (2.) As all that are truly holy, would fain be perfectly holy (for no man is void of this desire, but such as would sin more, and love sin); so no man is truly holy, but he hath a mean and low esteem of his own holiness; and the most happy proficient in holiness is surely the humblest saint. (3.) Whenever holiness is sought to recommend us to God’s acceptance, without faith in Christ, there is no holiness in that desire, nor will it ever be granted. For in this case the language of the heart is, “O that I were so holy, that I might not need Jesus Christ!” What an ungodly wish is this? I hope you all abhor the thought of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back