True holiness is humble holiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Hugh Binning, Works, pp. 449-450:

Grace cometh to level men, to make the high mountains valleys for Christ’s chariot; it maketh men stoop low to enter the door of the kingdom. Therefore, if you have attained any measure beyond others, if you would prove it real grace and holiness, do not exalt yourselves above others; be not high-minded; come down and sit among the ungodly, among the unclean, and let not grace given diminish the low estimation of yourself in yourself. There is a growing that is but a fancy, and men’s conceit; when men grow above ordinances, above other Christians, and can see none or few Christians but themselves, such a growth is not real. It is but fancy, it is but swelling and wind, and must be pricked to let it out. A holy prophet came in among an unclean people; he did not say, “Stand by, I am holier than thou.” Such a man as can find no Christian about him, even though to the judgment of all others, they seek God more than he, such a man hath not real solid grace, – his holiness is profane holiness, and proud holiness; for true holiness is humble holiness, and in honour preferreth others.

I needed this; may the Lord work this lowliness of mind in me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back