Trusting in the Darkness--Gavin Beers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afterthought

Puritan Board Senior
https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=51318234434

An encouraging sermon for those who feel themselves in darkness. Perhaps you know the truth: God is good, even in and by trial. But you may not feel the truth. You may feel your prayers hitting the ceiling as though you were forsaken by God. Perhaps you may feel as the Psalmist in Psalm 88 or in the first half of Psalm 22. Those who find themselves in such places must trust God while in the confusion of darkness. Even the Psalmist in the darkness of Psalm 88 shows a small ray of light: he is pouring out his complaint to the Lord. God is still near in such times, though one may not feel it.

Sermon text is Isaiah 50:10

"Who is among you that feareth the Lord, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the Lord, and stay upon his God."

Psalm 88
A Song or Psalm for the sons of Korah, to the chief Musician upon Mahalath Leannoth, Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite.
1 O Lord God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:
2 let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;
3 for my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.
4 I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength:
5 free among the dead, like the slain that lie in the grave, whom thou rememberest no more: and they are cut off from thy hand.
6 Thou hast laid me in the lowest pit, in darkness, in the deeps.
7 Thy wrath lieth hard upon me, and thou hast afflicted me with all thy waves. Selah.
8 Thou hast put away mine acquaintance far from me; thou hast made me an abomination unto them: I am shut up, and I cannot come forth.
9 Mine eye mourneth by reason of affliction: Lord, I have called daily upon thee, I have stretched out my hands unto thee.
10 Wilt thou shew wonders to the dead? shall the dead arise and praise thee? Selah.
11 Shall thy lovingkindness be declared in the grave? or thy faithfulness in destruction?
12 Shall thy wonders be known in the dark? and thy righteousness in the land of forgetfulness?
13 But unto thee have I cried, O Lord; and in the morning shall my prayer prevent thee.
14 Lord, why castest thou off my soul? why hidest thou thy face from me?
15 I am afflicted and ready to die from my youth up: while I suffer thy terrors I am distracted.
16 Thy fierce wrath goeth over me; thy terrors have cut me off.
17 They came round about me daily like water; they compassed me about together.
18 Lover and friend hast thou put far from me, and mine acquaintance into darkness."

Ramón, thanks for posting this sermon by my old friend. I hope to listen to it later today. I presume that you are now one of his parishioners?

"Who is among you that feareth the Lord, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the Lord, and stay upon his God."
And if you read the next verse (Isaiah 50:11), you'll understand that such a time is not the occasion for singing, "this little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back