Trying to locate a work by Thomas Cartwright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
In Johannes Cocceius's The Doctrine of the Covenant and Testament of God (p. 104), he cites from a work by Thomas Cartwright. The reference is listed in the text as Hist. Christi, tom. 2, p. 84. Having checked PRDL, it is not immediately clear which book Cocceius is citing, though I think that it may be Cartwright's Harmony of the Evangelists (in Latin), which was published in Amsterdam in 1647. In fact, looking at the edition on the Internet Archive, I think that the section Cocceius quotes is taken from the third paragraph on the first column of page 84.

The English translation of the quotation reads, "Christ's benevolence is indeed remarkable and incredible to the whole human race, but nevertheless is restricted by the will of the Father. For while in His love toward men He may long for all to be saved, nevertheless, since He understands that it appears otherwise to the Father, He gathers His emotion and casts it on the will of the Father, and because it happens for the best and most just judgment of God, He rejoices with Him."

Is anyone here able to check the quote with the original Latin source to see if it is indeed from the Harmony of the Evangelists?

Last edited:
A distinction is apparently made between Cartwright's Historia Christi and his Harmonia Evangelica (see here, footnotes 1 and 5).

The only other reference I can find to Historia is in a work by Edward Leigh. Absolutely nothing turns up anywhere else, in library listings or anything, which is exceedingly odd.

My knowledge of Latin is limited, but I'm pretty sure the quote you are looking for is not on the page you linked to.

Is the Historia Christi simply a section within the Harmonia?
Not as a distinguishable partition. Given there is a 1627 edition of Harmonia it would almost seem that the 1630 Historia could be a topical collection of excerpts from the former. In which case the content would be in Harmonia, but perhaps dispersed throughout.???

Last edited:
I have not found a/the 1630 titled Historia Christi but as Historiam evangelicum, apparently another edition of the harmonia? in a 3 volume set.
https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=a...ap:"cartwright,+thomas"+>+ln:lat&qt=facet_ln:

Not as a distinguishable partition. Given there is a 1627 edition of Harmonia it would almost seem that the 1630 Historia could be a topical collection of excerpts from the former. In which case the content would be in Harmonia, but perhaps dispersed throughout.???

I have not found a/the 1630 titled Historia Christi but as Historiam evangelicum, apparently another edition of the harmonia? in a 3 volume set.

It appears this is indeed what we've been looking for. The secondary title page in these volumes is Historia Christi. Vol.1 Vol.2 Vol.3

However... vol. 2 page 84 does not seem to correspond with the given citation. Nor can I find it in an immediate search in other possible places (v1.p84, v3.p84, v2.p184, 284 etc.) I may do some further snooping but have to run for now.

In Johannes Cocceius's The Doctrine of the Covenant and Testament of God (p. 104),

Daniel, can you give some type of sectional heading or enumeration under which the quotation occurs? I'd like to check a Latin version of DCTG to try and verify the reference. (My Type A and OCD is starting to kick in here...)

It's in Vol. 2 p.87 - half-way through 3rd paragraph.

Christi autem philanthropia est illa quidem eximia & incredibilis erga hominum universum genus, sed tamen voluntate patris tanquam cancellis circumscribitur. Ut enim pro suo erga homines amore omnes cupiut salvos, tamen cum intelligit secus patri videri, contrahit affectum suum: eumque ad patris voluntatem adigit; & quod optimo & justissimo Dei judico sit, ei congratulatur.​

Also here, in a slightly altered rendition, p.343 - half-way through 3rd paragraph

Cocceius' citation is here, again slightly altered, p.109 - first paragraph.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back