Turn promises into prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (Stedfast Adherence to the Profession of our Faith), Works 3:42:

Would it not put another sort of edge upon our prayers, were we to eye God as a promising God? What do we do in prayer; think you, what is the business of prayer? The main thing in prayer is to put God in mind of the promise. The great work of Christians is to turn promises into prayer, and God will turn both into performance. Every believer, you know, is to ask according to God’s will. The asking according to God’s will is to ask in faith, James 1:5, 6. And not only to ask what God bids us ask, but to ask what God has commanded us to hope; and we know what to hope for, by what God has promised. If we stretch our hope beyond the promise, we are out of the way: but his promises are so large, that a believer needs not to fear but he hath room enough for his faith to work in, nay to run in.

Amen to this! I have committed this year 2017 to pray in this manner, and I must say, even in these last 3 weeks I already observe so much more of a genuine "interactive faith" (if I might call it that). The Promises of God are indeed plenty and beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back