Two congregations at "Corinth" - their relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
If we use London in the sense of Greater London it swallows up all sorts of smaller cities. I was interested to read of the church that met at Cenchrea a couple of miles from Corinth
[BIBLE]Romans 16:1[/BIBLE]
and the "inner London" church in Corinth proper that met in the home of Gaius
[BIBLE]Romans 16:23[/BIBLE]

I wonder what the relationship between these two fellowships would have been? Did I find an answer? Well I was browsing the text in e-sword and came across some text in blue at the end of Romans(??) this appears in my KJV almost as an authentic P.S.

Written to the Romans from Corinthus, and sent by Phebe servant of the church at Cenchrea.

I searched in FF Bruce's commentary on Romans and John Stott's but neither of them were able to say anything about this addition to the KJV text - anyone? It does suggest that Paul was writing from Cenchrea? I had thought that he was writing from Corinth but was he really hanging out in Cencherea a couple of miles away or was Phebe visiting him at the house of Gaius from the church in Cencherea

Last edited:
Assuming some historical validity, how common was it for women to be messengers? :worms:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back