Two Gardens - Augstine's Confessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgkortus

Puritan Board Freshman
I just read Augustine's Confessions for the first time - truly a masterpiece.

Augustine describe events in two different gardens. First, Augustine recounts the pear theft of his childhood. Augustine confesses that the theft represents an attempt to exalt himself against God. In addition, there is the garden where Augustine’s conversion takes place. A burning struggle takes place in his heart as he battles to submit his will to God. By grace, Augustine displays the virtue of humility as he casts himself upon God.

It seems that by making an assertion at the power of God, the pear theft can be compared to a similar assertion of pride against God that occurred in the Garden of Eden. In addition, Augustine's conversion seems to compare to the struggle of Jesus Christ himself in the Garden of Gethsemane, where He too submitted to God’s will.

Did Augustine intend for such parallels?

If Augustine did not intend this, have others viewed these two events as representing Eden and Gethsemane?

I had never made that parallel and it holds interest. But I would not take it to myself to
know the mind of Augustine, I have trouble knowing mine let alone discerning that of a giant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back