Two Kingdoms and Hitler's Germany - can you help me evaluate an article?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Why Did German Protestants Support Hitler?

I am trying to evaluate this article and have many questions.

Thoughts?

Take, for instance, a recent article by Joel McDurmon, resident scholar and Director of Research for The America Vision. McDurmon defines his target as "Radical 2k (R2K)" a version of the two kingdoms doctrine that, he says, claims the church has nothing to say to civil authority, because civil authority operates under the category of law, not gospel. This, in McDurmon's account, was precisely the view of Lutheran churches in Germany under Hitler, and he worries that Horton's two kingdoms theology leads in the same direction.

Also,

McDurmon admits that both Luther and Calvin were two kingdoms theologians

In short, because of their two kingdoms doctrine, German Lutherans surrendered responsibility to teach God's law based on scripture. They tacitly enabled the Nazis to do all that they did. Contemporary two kingdoms theology calls for the same sort of separation between church and politics, McDurmon argues, and should therefore be rejected.

It's a powerful warning based on a sobering story. However, it significantly distorts the history it purports to tell.

Then

So, what really happened?

Despite Luther's early two kingdoms theology, which implied that church and state could be separated (though Luther always insisted that both kingdoms, or governments, are under God and obligated to obey him), Lutheranism followed the reformer's later willingness to give magistrates a prominent 'emergency' role in church governance by developing a system in which church and state had complementary roles. Magistrates were to rule over the church and society, but consistent with the moral and theological instruction of pastors, and according to God's creation order. Early Lutherans would have been surprised to hear that the two kingdoms doctrine implied anything like a separation of church and state, let alone of Christianity and politics.

Leading two kingdoms theologians like Paul Althaus argued that it was the church's obligation to support the state in its attempt to protect the German volk from corruption or defilement.

This is not the sort of "Radical 2k" theology that forbids the church to address politics. While conservative Lutherans recognized that the two kingdoms doctrine forbade the sort of partisanship and Nazification of the church advocated by the "German Christian" movement, their theology committed them to a nearly unconditional solidarity of Volk and Fatherland that called for just the sort of synthesis of church and state, of politics and Christian morality, that Hitler tended to praise in his rhetoric.

But the more poignant warning of this history is surely to avoid conflating our political ideologies with the will of God, thereby rendering ourselves vulnerable to the manipulation of politicians at best, and offering them the positive support of the church at worst. As Dietrich Bonhoeffer's biographer and fellow Confessing Church member Eberhard Bethge reflected, too many Germans had replaced their allegiance to the Christ revealed in Scripture with an allegiance to a German god of their own making. And "when a different god is made out of Christ—a Hellenistic or Teutonic or Jerry Falwell-made American god—then the first commandment is being violated." (Barnett, For the Soul of the People, 131)

In far too many cases in Nazi Germany the problem was not that pastors were being too quiet, but rather, they were being too loud—in their support for Hitler. Beguiled by their nation and its political ideology, they lost all perspective on their proper responsibilities in the pulpit and to the state. That's why Barmen Declaration author Karl Barth insisted, like Michael Horton, not that the church become more involved in politics, but that the church free itself from politicization. Only when the church maintains its allegiance to the word of God, proclaiming Christ consistent with the rule of love, and allowing the chips to fall for or against the state where they may, should pastors take up the prophetic voice.

Horton and contemporary Reformed two kingdoms theologians agree that the church must preach the whole counsel of God, declaring racism to be heretical, marriage to be between a man and a woman, and the life of the unborn to be inviolable. But they insist that the church must distinguish between our politics and God's law to avoid just the sort of politicization of the church that occurred in 1930s Germany. This is in contrast to the project of American Vision, which involves a worked out synthesis between Christianity and a very concrete political ideology. McDurmon reveals his hand at the end of his essay, when he compares those who do not support his brand of conservative politics with those who failed to resist the Nazis.

When the government protects abortions, when the government demands Christian businesses fund abortifacients against Christian conscience, when the government maintains standing armies and unnecessary foreign invasions, oppressive levels of debt and taxation, 70,000 pages of unread new regulations every year, fiat money and monopoly control over it, massive entitlements built on debt secured by the labor of our children and grandchildren . . . the list could go on . . . When the government does these things, it is the job of Christians and of the church to "maintain a prophetic stance" against the civil realm and declare those things as ungodly and tyrannical. To avoid this task, or to condemn others for performing this task, is to be the practical equivalent of the German Evangelicals described above. (emphasis added)

....it is a warning to the church not to allow its witness to be subverted by human political ideologies at all. For politicization reduces the church's moral credibility; it does not strengthen it.

Far too much of the legacy of Christendom is the tragic way in which Christians have used the church and its religion to support their own oppressive politics and misguided ideologies.

How is the Church to address social issues? How is the Church to be involved in issues of law and government (since social issues are largely moral issues). What is the difference between speaking out on issues of abortions and race, and "politicizing" one's faith?

I think the church qua church needs to BE something different--a counterculture--to the world around it; in the world, though not of it. The church should be more interested in offering an alternative way to the "normal" corruption of the world at large.

1Pet.2:11 "Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul. Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation.​

The church should be absolutely clear about what is, and what is not, acceptable as Christian behavior; and exercise proper discipline on its members who flout Christ's authority in matters where the church has jurisdiction. The church should also teach its members how to think about external (to the church) matters in a moral fashion--because it is impossible not to act morally in any endeavor--though it IS possible to act in a way that is "common" (and moral) rather than "sacral."

One of the difficulties of living in this time, is that the influence of Christians in the West is waning. The world has become bored with the benefits that Christians/Christianity brought to the wider culture. Now, having given up on the authority of an external Divine Word, they wish once again to enjoy the less-inhibited passions of the unrestrained ego.

CHRISTIANS, occupying roles out of which they live in the world, hopefully can speak aloud their clear and informed (amen, let it be) moral vision. Not that morality will change anyone, but biblical morality is actually the one that accords with nature--since God created it. Sometimes, rationality trumps willful selfish shortsightedness; and it is possible to persuade even unbelievers of a moral move that is in their lawful interest, and against their baser instincts.

But those Christians should also understand what it looks like to that unbelieving world, when as just-another-pressure-group, they appear (and in some cases are in fact) trying to win those ugly political battles over whom it will be to pull the levers of POWER over other people. Nonchristians look at the CHURCH, and see a reactionary, repressive institution that wants to go back to the "good old days"--good (they say) for the "religious," but not for them.

Rather than railing against what "they" do wrong, the church should present the superior alternative. But in order to do that, the church--made up of individual Christians--may have to suffer. And, sorry to say it, but for the most part individual Christians in the West (and thus the western church in general) are fully invested in the culture-of-comfort that is the West, and do not wish to suffer, anything, EVER.

John the Baptist resisted the wickedness of the magistrate unto death. But the story I hear from many Churchmen suggests that unless we occupy the Office of Prophet, we are not qualified to follow his example. So I am compelled to remain silent.

Christians do fulfil that prophetic office; therefore, as we have opportunity, we should speak up.

I suspect the main problem with the German Protestant church during the Nazi era, was that it was riddled with Liberal Theology.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Bruce and Richard make some good points. First, is ANYONE really calling out the POTUS or the Congress to their faces? I wonder how many Christians or Christian groups are visiting their House or Senate leaders and letting them know the biblical view not only on abortion, but on taxation, privacy, property rights, and a host of other issues.

I remember back in the late 90s and early 2000s, Jeff Ziegler, Bill Einwechter, and several other board members of the National Reform Association visited with many members of Congress. They professed the Crown Rights of Christ over the nation, and while they received a little bit of sympathy from some professed Christian representatives, they were for the most part humored condescendingly by the representatives, who, as Bill told me later, pitched their materials in the trash can.

But at least they witnessed to them. Is this being done on an ongoing basis? I doubt it, and I am not aware of anyone doing it.

Second, as Bruce points out, American Christians are too engulfed in the materialistic comforts of this society to even think of doing anything that could invite persecution. As pastor Richard Ganz said many years ago, American Christians are simply "doped up" with easy living. Persecution and hardship is for Christians in other countries, not the good old US of A. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to change this attitude.

For a good book on the early Nazi era, from the 1920s to early 1934, there is a great book call Defying Hitler by Sebastian Haffner. Haffner was not a Christian, but wrote poignantly in this book about his experiences during that time before he eventually fled to England in 1937. He accused the churches of cowardice, of not making a stand whatsover in the face of Nazi repression. He indeed said that some churches heartily embraced Hitler. How could that have been, said Haffner, in light of their knowledge of Hitler's positions that he so clearly stated in Mein Kampf? Even as a non-Christian, Haffner saw that the Church had become worthless as any vehicle of resistance to the Nazis. Outside of Bonhoeffer and Niemoller, there was very little.

It is a chilling book. While we certainly have not gotten to the point of Nazi Germany circa 1933-1934, there are some signs of things that had happened in the 1920s that are eerily similar to what we are seeing now.

Again, the point now is to devise a strategy of what to do. Given denominational fragmentation, it will be exceedingly difficult to get a mass, unified voice. Even with abortion that has been difficult. We need to concentrate our efforts on the best way to do this, with the gospel and glory of Christ being front and center.

" First, is ANYONE really calling out the POTUS or the Congress to their faces?"

In the 1970s/80, our church was sued for firing a homosexual organist, and it became a precedent setting case, as this violated a local ordinance. We lost at the local level, then went to appeals court and won on appeal. Our pastor was flown to testify about it before Congress. So, that's a solid example of calling the civil magistrate to repentance.

I was not a Christian at the time; not a member of the church.

You can read all about it in "When the Wicked Seize a City," (McIlhenny), probably now out of print but perhaps available out there.

" First, is ANYONE really calling out the POTUS or the Congress to their faces?"

In the 1970s/80, our church was sued for firing a homosexual organist, and it became a precedent setting case, as this violated a local ordinance. We lost at the local level, then went to appeals court and won on appeal. Our pastor was flown to testify about it before Congress. So, that's a solid example of calling the civil magistrate to repentance.

I was not a Christian at the time; not a member of the church.

You can read all about it in "When the Wicked Seize a City," (McIlhenny), probably now out of print but perhaps available out there.

Chuck McIlhenny?? Is he still pastor there? I haven't heard from or about him in years. I think he co-wrote that book with his wife Donna, right?

Talk about a real soldier of the cross - Chuck has truly been under persecution out in the Bay area for years. His home was attacked several times, and he was reviled in print too many times to count.

But those Christians should also understand what it looks like to that unbelieving world, when as just-another-pressure-group, they appear (and in some cases are in fact) trying to win those ugly political battles over whom it will be to pull the levers of POWER over other people. Nonchristians look at the CHURCH, and see a reactionary, repressive institution that wants to go back to the "good old days"--good (they say) for the "religious," but not for them.

Rather than railing against what "they" do wrong, the church should present the superior alternative. But in order to do that, the church--made up of individual Christians--may have to suffer. And, sorry to say it, but for the most part individual Christians in the West (and thus the western church in general) are fully invested in the culture-of-comfort that is the West, and do not wish to suffer, anything, EVER.

AMEN brother.

Pastor Bruce, everything you write is thoughtful and helpful and so I don't take issue with it lightly. The no railing part is refreshing. That last sentence has a thought I'd like to put a different spin on. I think there is a proper theology of suffering and martyrdom that should inform our behavior. The Early Church had two broad camps; those seeking martyrdom and those not seeking martyrdom but prepared for it nevertheless. i think it is proper for us Christians to find ourselves in the latter category. Even so, I don't think I have to necessarily give up air conditioning, my Galaxy phone, my '05 Jeep Liberty or my Kindle. Would you elaborate more specifically what it would look like for Western Christians (I think there are truly very few anyway) to be in a better state?

When I say westerners do not wish to suffer, I mean they are not willing to suffer. It takes a "big man" to accept a strike on the right cheek, and then just turn the left. Why can a Christian do that?

Same reason a great nation can endure a small strike against its pride, without being provoked. Because that which was "taken" could not touch the core of what it is. Because elbowing one's way to retaliation, and visiting 100X the suffering on... targets of opportunity... well, that kind of answer would just fly in the face of true greatness.

Christians, according to Scripture, are long-suffering. This present western society in which many of us live is addicted to ease, to convenience--even on the backs of the less-fortunate, even on the dime of their offspring to whom the bills will be sent. This society has every bit of the hubris of the classical Greco-Roman society into which the church was birthed as a counterculture. It does not reluctantly enter into conflict with those who "don't know their place" in the pecking-order.

This culture will suffer nothing--it will even give up essential liberty for some promise of security, Why? Because it is neurotic, and fragile. This life is all there is; and life is a long, evolutionary struggle of all against all. "Give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile! Better take a few extra yards just to be safe..."

I think most western Christians just accept those sorts of sentiments as normal; and being normal, as perfectly compatible with their faith. They aren't countercultural in the least. After all, wasn't this founded as a "Christian nation?" Isn't just the wusses and haters-of-good who are trying to "sell us out" to the teeming hordes of those jealous of "our freedoms?"

"Can't show them any weaknesses, now--it's just makes them bolder, and they'll comes and TAKES all our precious, my precious, my darling preciousssssss. We must strangles them!"​

Why Did German Protestants Support Hitler?

Because they weren't as hostile to religion as were the competing communists. The Spartacists who seized Berlin at the end of World War I made Lenin and Stalin look like wimps, and those who followed in the next two decades weren't much better.

"Chuck McIlhenny?? Is he still pastor there? I haven't heard from or about him in years. I think he co-wrote that book with his wife Donna, right?"

No, he resigned several years ago. I believe you are correct and that she co-wrote.

On a side note, Chuck McIllhenny's daughter was married to a former pastor of mine. Chuck is a wonderful Christian minister who is serving as a Hospital Chaplain currently.

Anyway, it may seem off-topic but I preached today on Psalm 95. While I certainly believe that a theology of the role of the Church and the State is a contributing factor, I don't think it can be argued historically that a sound two-kingdom theology provides any immunization against the kind of wide spread apostasy from the true Christian religion where a broad swath of the visible Christian population would engage in rank idolatry. We're not immune to this. No century of the Church in the Old Testament was immune, no Christian Church in any century has been immune to this slide into apostasy.

You can listen to the sermon here: Celebrating Sanctification | Hope of Christ Church

My hearty amen to Bruce's notes is not a problem for the "other guy" but it's an issue that we must collectively wrestle with: Is God the only god or have we, Today, hardened our hearts and said that this corner of my life will belong to me. The Church and her people must be constantly reforming not in the sense of doctrinal progression but in the sense of confessing what we believe and daily putting sin to death in our members.

Will the fear of God be our pursuit? Will we see in the Law a tool in the hands of our Father to discipline us, to sanctify us toward His ends? Or will we Today, increasingly give our affections to our idols? Will the Lord strive with us forever or will He say of an entire generation: I swear in my wrath, they shall not enter my rest.

It's easy and comfortable to look to a Two Kingdom's theory to explain Germany's idolatry. It's much more chilling to look at our own idolatry and be reminded of the pattern that Psalm 95 warns us of and is repeated in Hebrews as a stark warning to us.

Thus, while I agree with the prophetic work the Church needs to continue to exercise toward the State, the more pressing issue is the unchecked idolatry among us as we have grown accustomed to bringing idols before the face of our Father. He will have no other gods before Him and the Church has largely grown impotent because we have collectively given all our energy to our idols and come to God wil our leftover energy for "quality time" and then demand of Him to "keep it short" and to give us "news we can use" or practical advice about the things we really care about. That is to say: God, can you give me some practical tips today about how I might serve my idols?

And we provoke Him to anger. Not just toward those "other guys" but toward us.

I know this is sort of a left-field response and could be a thread all its own but it's something I've been wrestling with for some time. The people had a king in Josiah who had fervor to tear down all the idols in the land but the people, by then, had strayed far from the Lord so the re-introduction of those idols was a simple matter of his death. Let us not take lightly the apostasy of the Church or our own slide into it. Let us remember these occasions where the Church has been judged by God not as an opportunity to gloat that we have a better theology of government or civic engagement but as the author of Psalm 95 or Hebrews would have us remember it.

Thanks for posting the sermon link, Rich.
We might ask in our time, the creation ordinance of marriage is being challenged by the creature, why is the church not speaking out? Is that not a mild form of cooperation?

There are many forms of idolatry, and a few you mentioned in your sermon might apply to where the state of the Church is today, Rich. My mind goes to the Okinawan lady who gave up the benefits of being a part of an idolatrous family to follow Christ and the financial burden it put on her. How many American Christians would give up the benefits of willingly being a part of an idolatrous State to follow Christ? Now, if you're a eunuch slave I can understand being like unto Daniel.

OK, I'll duck back into the dirt in my dark little cave now.

It's certainly worth considering whether service to the State would be idolatrous. One cannot simply rule it out even if it makes me uncomfortable to consider. I wasn't trying to be prescriptive in terms of all the things that can be idols of the heart. It's often easy to see the idolatry of others and my only point is that examination begins in the heart, the home, and the Church. The lesson we learn from Scripture is not to wag the finger and thank God that we're not like other men whose idols we do not share. My examples were intended to cause each of us to consider whether I have counted the cost of discipleship and to pray to God to sanctify us. To lead with anger at others' sins is not what the Psalmist calls us to. The tax collectors of Christ's day were despised precisely because they were collaborating with what the people of God considered an idolatrous government and the hatred of their sin gave the Pharisee confidence as he went into the Temple to thank God that he was not like that man.

I see your point, Rich. So where do we place J the B's rebuke of Herod in that schema? Was he being pharisaical?

<Edit> I'll leave the above, but the rest was uncharitable and baiting. Sorry, Rich.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back