Tyndale Commentary Series (49 Volumes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan Riese

Puritan Board Freshman
Should I go for it? It's $165 on Pre-Pub from Logos.
I don't know ANYTHING about Tyndale commentaries, but I am looking for another commentary series to get before starting seminary at GPTS.

How scholarly is it?
How technical?
How different from any other commentaries?
Is it reformed based?

I'd appreciate anybody's advice on this. Thanks!

I really like it. For what that is worth. It is not a "technical" commentary by any means but I have found the volumes to be quite helpful in sermon prep.

It is a good series. I don't have all the volumes (and more NT than OT), but I have been pleased with what I've found.

Like any series, it has its good (Kidner, Motyer, Eaton) and its bad (NT Wright, Ralph Martin). In the main, I have found the volumes I have used to be good.

The Tyndale Series is excellent and well worth purchasing. Although the volumes are often quite small they say a lot more than some weightier volumes that spend most of their time skirting the issues.

Wenham, Motyer, Harrison, Kidner in the OT and France, Morris, Guthrie and Stott in the NT are worth the price of the set.

Kidner is a goldmine; Baldwin, Wenham, Motyer, and Harrison are all good. Cole is a waste of time as are a few others. For the price it is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back