Tyson vs Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
tysonbust.jpg

Last night, on boxing classics, I watched the fight between Tyson and Douglas - an excellent fight. It was neat (and amazing) to see Douglas get off the canvas after Tyson clocked him, and to go on and win the fight.

As I watched the fight, and thought about Tyson in his prime, I started wondering who would have won between Tyson and Ali when both were in their prime. I'm thinking Ali. What do you think?

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
I think Tyson had a harder punch. Ali was a more strategical fighter.
So, who do you think would have won? As I said, I'm leaning towards Ali, though it may have been like the Ali/Frazer fights - one wins one fight, the other wins the next.

Ali. He would not have allowed Tyson to set the pace of the fight. Tyson would have been chasing him all over the ring and Ali's jab would have destroyed Tyson in the process.

However, Frazier fought much like Iron Mike...............

From what I have seen/ heard...Ali was faster than mike. Mike may have had the stronger punch. But I think Ali was bit faster and more strategic. Although training is always advancing, so guys like Ali would possibly need to train a little different to top Tyson.

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Ali. He would not have allowed Tyson to set the pace of the fight. Tyson would have been chasing him all over the ring and Ali's jab would have destroyed Tyson in the process.

However, Frazier fought much like Iron Mike...............
Yeah, Frazier was much like Tyson, not too flashy, but very persistent. Not a whole lot of fancy footwork, but those feet just kept moving forward.

In thinking of one of Ali's most powerful weapons (his mouth), he would have had a 'hay-day" with Tyson.

Originally posted by matthew11v25
From what I have seen/ heard...Ali was faster than mike. Mike may have had the stronger punch. But I think Ali was bit faster and more strategic. Although training is always advancing, so guys like Ali would possibly need to train a little different to top Tyson.
I agree, Ali was definitely faster. It would have been interesting to see the two fight, with Ali dancing and just circling around him jabbing at will.

Ali would have won hands down. Ali was a much smarter boxer than Tyson. Ali would have gotten in Tyson's head. Tyson just couldn't compete on that level. Ali would have let Tyson wear himself out then the end would come.

Originally posted by puritancovenanter
Ali would have won hands down. Ali was a much smarter boxer than Tyson. Ali would have gotten in Tyson's head.
That would definitely be frustrating for Tyson. As a precaution, would it be against the rules for Ali to wear head gear during the fight?

Things being equal I am assuming...... Ali in his prime as well as Tyson in his. Ali hands down...no doubt about it. Ali was a strategic fighter Tyson is a street thug.

float like a butterfly sting like a bee....You can hit all the otheres but you can't hit me....(or something like that)

I think Ali probably would have won too, although both fighters in their prime would have been very interesting.

I always wanted to see Foreman fight Tyson. It probably would have happened if Tyson hadn't been convicted of rape and spent those years in prison. I think Foreman might have blown out Tyson like he did Frazier and Norton. All of those fighters had a straight ahead style that played right into Foreman's strengths.

Looking back, I think it's remarkable Tyson was able to do what he did from 85-91 or so considering his size. When he moved up from light heavyweight, Evander Holyfield was considered a small heavyweight, but he is considerably bigger than Tyson and pushed him around during their fights. Tyson's effectiveness was predicated on speed, intimidation, and "throwing punches with bad intentions" in combinations. He was also very hard to hit when he was in his prime.

One of the best fights I ever saw was Tyson vs Buster Douglas. It was like a Rocky movie. Douglas literally chopping Iron Mike down to the mat.

I seriously don't know who would win. It would be a great fight.

Ultimately, I think they would both throw a knock out punch at the same time knocking them both out cold resulting in a victory and a defeat. But then Mike would get up and start biting and Ali would get furious and punch his teeth out meanwhile everyone else would just watch and let Ali do this because NO ONE bites Muhammad Ali!

[Edited on 11-14-2005 by ChristopherPaul]

on ESPN classic Teddy Atlas who was in Tyson's corner at one time said Cus had trained Tyson to defeat Holmes via slipping his jab. Holmes had a much better jab than Ali, this is why I would say Tyson, but only a young Tyson. If the Tyson of the 90's fought, Ali would school him, but if the Tyson of 1985-1989 fought Ali, he would have beaten Ali.

This is a tough call.

Early on with D'Amato (and Rooney) in his corner Tyson was much more elusive fighting with the "peek-a-boo" style (which is what I think Keon mentioned) and he was VERY fast and accurate...he simply punished the old man Larry Holmes who probably had one of the best jabs ever. I believe he said that it was like being kicked by a mule afterwards -his jab (and his experience -which included being Ali's sparring partner) was of no effect.
Later on (after parting with Rooney's strategy) Tyson started fighting more flat footed and going right for the early ko with hardly any strategy. And I think he lost some quickness too if not the "bad intent."

On the other hand, can we say that Tyson punched any harder than Foreman in his prime?-the guy was a monster! Ken Norton had a big punch too and broke Ali's jaw but Ali still got the decision (which was lame in my opinion)...but it does illustrate that Ali could take a big punch. But if you watch some of those early Tyson fights, you can see some NASTY combinations...not just the one bomb that sneaks through. You just never know what is going to happen when you put two different styles of fighters into the ring together.

I can't decide...but tend to lean towards Ali just because the quality of fighters during the 70's was, I think, of a higher level than the 80's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back