"UFO's" and the Occult

Discussion in 'Spiritual Warfare' started by Ravens, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravens

Ravens Puritan Board Sophomore

I realize this is a fringe topic. However, countless people are involved in this, and I figured this little piece might be of interest to some. I was very interested in UFO lore and what not before becoming saved, and recently engaged someone on the issue on a secular web forum. He is a non-Christian with a voracious, all-consuming interest in UFO's. Anyhow, I essentially hold the same position as Gary North and many other Christians, namely, that beyond the husk of mistaken sightings and outright lies, there is a real core of experiences promoted and engineered by demonic beings. I thought I'd post what I wrote for the one or two people who might be interested:

2. VictorBravo

VictorBravo Administrator Staff Member

Joshua, having grown up among new age adherents and occult dabblers, I've thought essentially the same thing.

One thing that struck me early: the "nature spirits", the trolls, the little green men of old lore seem awful similar to the modern descriptions of UFO aliens.

Satan may be the chief of liers, but he seems to recycle his tricks. Very much like heresies.

3. Zenas

Zenas Snow Miser

The paralysis described is similar to accounts I've heard from those who have been oppressed by a demonic force. I have known both Christian and non-Christian who have reported demonic oppression- figures devoid of light or reflective capability hovering over their bed or standing at their door, laying in paralysis or falling to their knees in agony over the immense, menacing sorrow and hate they felt while it was there, and even the entity grabbing their arm, causing them to feel it burn while remaining devoid of any pigmentation other than the blackest of black.

In both situations, the oppressor only left when a prayer was given to God or mention of Christ was made.

Scary stuff that I hope never to have to endure. I would rather remain oblivious all my life and learn only after my death that I was in the lion's den the whole time.

4. LadyCalvinist

LadyCalvinist Puritan Board Junior

JD, what you wrote was insightful and brilliant, I was very impressed by it. I hope you friend is too.

Over at American Vision, they recently published a book Alien Intrusionwhich agrees with your thesis.

Off topic, I used to be a huge Sci-fi fan but now I find myself having wondering about it.

Keep up the good work!

5. Augusta

Augusta Puritan Board Doctor

My fringe hobby was Sasquatch. I have often wondered if all of the sightings were actually demonic activity. The paralyzing fears of the people who have seen one and the way the Sasquatch seem to disappear suddenly or even before peoples eyes has always made me wonder. If they are animals, then they might be just another species of great ape. There are things about some of the sightings, of which I have read hundreds of, that make me wonder if they are demonic. I don't doubt though that people are seeing something in the deep woods.

6. Zenas

Zenas Snow Miser

I dunno about ya'll but if I see something walking around in the woods, I get freaked out, no matter what it is. :eek:

7. staythecourse

staythecourse Puritan Board Junior

Thanks for the good post, JD. Once we become Biblicists there are only creatures of earth (man, animals and plants if you like) angels, demons and God. I am reading Genesis while I eat dinner and we meet all the main characters in the first few chapters. If there are beings from other planets God would have had to have made them better than Man (in his image) to be so intelligent to get to us via other dimensions or mind-bendingly long distances.

Also, "one little word will fell them (demons)." Ain't that a comfort! Thanks Andrew

8. Josiah

Josiah Puritan Board Senior

Thank you JD, your post has really been enlightening. I never knew that there were leading UFO scholars that made that sort of connection. It really gives alot to the Christian and non-Christian alike to chew upon. I have had Christian friends who have either told me that they believe in extra-terrestrial life or that they are excited for the possibility of it. I never knew what to say to them about it, but I just knew that I didnt think extra-terrestrial beings were possible. The notion of Intra-dimensional beings is more appropriate.

9. Josiah

It makes me wonder too, since even those who have claimed to have seen sasquatch close have not been able to shoot one. :think:

10. Augusta

Augusta Puritan Board Doctor

That is another mysterious thing. Although if they are as big as reported it would take several shots or being hit right through the heart or brain to take one down. Which is hard to do while you are peeing your pants and running for your life. :eek:

I also remembered that they are often linked with ufo sightings and paranormal activity. :think:

11. Josiah

Good point, I know I would be freaked out if I saw one of these: [video=youtube;yWOKwyT_xrU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWOKwyT_xrU&feature=related[/video]

upon seeing this video on youtube (which I am not sure I believe) [video=youtube;WLnQXBstKQo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLnQXBstKQo&feature=related[/video]
    I am curious to know what you (JD) think about claims of cattle mutililation from local area farmers. Can demons do these things, or is this the work of the darkened heart of the unregenerate man?

12. Quickened

Quickened Puritan Board Senior

JDwiseman

What ended up happening with that discussion you had with the man? I found your post very thought provoking and interesting. I was curious as to what he thought about your post.

13. ericfromcowtown

ericfromcowtown Puritan Board Sophomore

Call me a cynic, but I tend to lump all the Sasquatch sightings and U.F.O. / Area 51 hobbyists, in with the Loch Ness Monster and guys who wear tin-foil on their head to stop the government from controlling their thoughts. :lol: I suspect that in the vast majority of cases, such sightings are simply the result of over-active / over-tired imaginations, mental delusions, or have been induced by alcohol or drugs.

Yes, I recognize that there is a spiritual realm and that demons do exist, but I also believe that Satan is now chained and that demons are not as powerful or common place (in so far as they are made visible to us) as many would have us believe.

14. ascottishsamurai

ascottishsamurai DJ JapaScot

Once again I am amazed at God's providence and protection. Last year I myself had a demonic encounter after allowing myself to get far too involved in fantasy and role playing. Several things lead up to that point, but what continues to amaze me is the continuity with which my own frightful experience matches accounts others have shared.

I have had several opportunities to share my testimony with others, and God by His grace has used my frightful experience to warn them of the dangers of the occult and the many subtle ways the Devil uses to lure us into entrapment.

During one such opportunity, I had to write my entire testimony, which I will quote down below, because the similarities are just amazing. Keep in mind the context of my retelling of this testimony. It was in a letter to a friend, so some of the wording and things may sound odd because of that.

Looking back, I now realize that I was in no real danger. For God's protection was always there, the Devil merely wanted me to think that I was in danger...but as you have also pointed out, he is a liar.

1 John 4:3-5
    "but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them."

I am so thankful for God's protection, and providentially this experience (much to the Evil One's chagrin, I'm sure) has only served to cement my faith in Christ.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  15. Leslie

Leslie Puritan Board Junior

What do you do with the synoptic gospel worldview which identifies demons as the cause of a variety of physical and mental aberations?

That was then and this is now?
    They were wrong or exaggerating but we have it right?

It seems difficult to hold to 'sola scriptura', as even the confessions do, and still maintain what appears to be your view of paranormal phenomena. This is not to espouse uncritical acceptance of everything paranormal. It is merely to suggest that a disconnect between experience and scripture should be resolved in favor of a scriptural rather than an (in this case negative) experiential worldview.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.