Ultimate biblical song/artist/group list...

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Yes, Jamie Soles opus is remarkably Scriptural and biblically focused (I know of his hetrodoxy and find little trace of it in his lyrics).

- Some in the OPC and PCA promote Judy Rogers - but I have never heard her.

- Some of Talbot's stuff is okay (lyric-wise).

- Mary Rice Hopkins (of Wendy & Mary fame) does all children's stuff now.

- The Lost Dogs have done a number of hymn-type songs, and esp. the album Nazarene Crying Towel is enjoyable in this regard.

- Much of Randy Stonehill's ouvre is suitable for a wide range of ages.

- As I have said, Terry Taylor's various incarnations (Daniel Amos, foremost) provide both an active and reflective range of material (with the odd artsy-fartsy types inclination to social gospel which you c an weed out).

- Though I used to hear (in the 80s) the Marantha albums and appreciated some of the more scriptural-literal stuff, they produced a lot of sacharrine, and I found the Psalms Alive! trio of albums - produced/written by Tom Howard and Bill Batstone - very satisfying.

- I'll echo Wes' endorsement of Neal Morse - esp. It's Not Too Late and Testimony (disc 2) - though Sola Scriptura is a bit rocky in parts.

- Early Amy Grant, Michelle Tumes for the Enya-like style, Carolyn Arends overall.

- Other collections of Psalms and Hymns available through Inheritance Publications and others like Reformation Heritage Books and Monergism are very useful, too.

Remember [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TliWDSLrYb8"]Larry Norman[/ame]

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M64Izj7na0E&feature=related"]Sweet Sweet Song of Salvation[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTlr-73DQq8&feature=related"]The Great American Novel[/ame]

?

Anything by Neal Morse. It's too bad he doesn't get any looks from "christian" record labels, Extremely talented musician. For those in the pre-mill, Dispensational camp who also like metal there's Saviour Machine. The Swedish group Veni Domine if you like progressive metal. One of my favorites has been Iona though not widely known this side of the Atlantic.

If you haven't heard the latest Lincoln Brewster album you are missing out. Phenomenal guitarist. And, he tips his hat to the great guitarists of the eighties as well.

All Time, you ask?

NKOTB:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZusIOLDRs8&feature=PlayList&p=8B316D10AEC24E92&playnext=1&index=8]YouTube - New Kids On The Block Hangin Tough Video High Quality[/ame]

:rofl:

:wow: Wow... it seems that Casting Crowns is a hot favorite here.

Here is my list:

1. Songs from Sovereign Grace Music
  2. Songs from The Mandate (Stuart Townend and Robin Mark are the song leaders)
  3. Keith and Kristyn Getty
  4. Casting Crowns (of course!)
  5. Steven Curtis Chapman (I like his older stuff)
  6. Twila Paris
  7. Glad
  8. 4Him
  9. The Continentals
  10. Steve Green

I glad to see someone finally mentioned Stuart Townend. He is by far one of the top reformed writers and singers of our day. We will see many of hymns in our hymnals in year to come.

Also David Ward has a lovely selection of songs on Reformedpraise.org

:oops: I'm not the most discerning person in the world. I've been known to listen to music on the radio to the point that I know who sings it- but have no idea what the words are. Sorry to open a can of worms on PCD :worms:.
If you like jazz, I know a guy named Ron Kronz who plays a mean sax and has a couple of CD's out. You'll also probably hear of a guy named Jessie Coleman someday who's a gifted piano player, songwriter and piano player.

Last edited:
We LOVE Jamie Soles music in our home. My kids sing him all the time. To have a 5 year old singing the kings of Israel is good thing.

He is CREC, but that does not put him in the same category as a denier of the Trinity.

Check him out, he is great. He just put out a CD called Pure Words. It is all Psalms from the ESV (with some artistic license).

Phillips, Craig & Dean
:wow:

These guys are heretics. They are modalists.

I was more or less responding to the wow smily. I didn't know they were modalists until it came up in a thread on here not long ago. So, I don't think that we should be shocked when their name comes up in a list of favorites as if people are ignoring their modalism. I just don't think a lot of people know about it. Maybe more know about it than they do. I didn't even know they were Oneness pastors. Maybe that's speaking to my own fault, but I simply don't have time to run a search on every Christian singer that's out there.

By no means was I defending modalism. Just wanted to make that clear.

Lots of great suggestions here. I grew up around country and southern gospel, so lean toward that genre when I can get my hands of the better stuff put out. Of course, much of it is just a silly excuse to show of vocal ability. Several good singers have been mentioned already, but some of old Kingsmen songs were good (Master I See was one of my favorites). [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REMF0a2urPc&feature=related"]Gold City[/ame] Gold City has some good songs. The Oak Ridge Boys used to have a few. One of my favorite was "When I Sing for Him." But the only version I can find is Dolly Parton singing it. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nUOqaLEVc0"]Dolly Parton[/ame] The boys do it better.
I'm glad the Gettys were mentioned.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubGCISQQ7Zo&feature=PlayList&p=1BBEFE0005665BC2&index=1"]the Gettys[/ame] They're doing a great job.

Recently I've enjoyed Acappella. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36JjIAjkheY"]Acappella[/ame] Here's one of their older songs. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_4iDM-M7xA&feature=PlayList&p=25117698DEF839D9&index=0"]one of their older songs[/ame] Won by One has a few good songs too, of a similar genre.

For classical Christian music, you can't beat Philip Webb. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvTITYX_bFE&feature=related"]Philip Webb[/ame]

Derek Webb is my favorite.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-RkhY6JWDY]YouTube - Derek Webb - A New Law[/ame]

I also love Indelible Grace of the Reformed University Fellowship (RUF)
Indelible Grace takes old hymns and writes new music to them. They use Newton and Watts, etc.
From the website:
"Our hope is to help the church recover the tradition of putting old hymns to new music for each generation, and to enrich our worship with a huge view of God and His indelible grace."

A great song by Bob Dylan:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8S_ic7PUuY]YouTube - Bob Dylan - Every Grain Of Sand[/ame]
Every Grain Of Sand

In the time of my confession, in the hour of my deepest need
When the pool of tears beneath my feet flood every newborn seed
There's a dyin' voice within me reaching out somewhere,
Toiling in the danger and in the morals of despair.

Don't have the inclination to look back on any mistake,
Like Cain, I now behold this chain of events that I must break.
In the fury of the moment I can see the Master's hand
In every leaf that trembles, in every grain of sand.

Oh, the flowers of indulgence and the weeds of yesteryear,
Like criminals, they have choked the breath of conscience and good cheer.
The sun beat down upon the steps of time to light the way
To ease the pain of idleness and the memory of decay.

I gaze into the doorway of temptation's angry flame
And every time I pass that way I always hear my name.
Then onward in my journey I come to understand
That every hair is numbered like every grain of sand.

I have gone from rags to riches in the sorrow of the night
In the violence of a summer's dream, in the chill of a wintry light,
In the bitter dance of loneliness fading into space,
In the broken mirror of innocence on each forgotten face.

I hear the ancient footsteps like the motion of the sea
Sometimes I turn, there's someone there, other times it's only me.
I am hanging in the balance of the reality of man
Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.

Copyright ©1981 Special Rider Music

I confess that I really don't like most "Christian music".

That being said, my favorite Christian band, by far, is Iona. I don't know exactly how one would define them. I don't "read up on them", that much, just have a good handful of their c.d.'s. Maybe one would call them Celtic, progressive rock; not sure. I came across Heaven's Bright Sun (their 2-Disc live album) when I first became a Christian, and it was about the only album I encountered in the entire range of "Christian music" that could even hold a sonic candle to the music I had enjoyed in the psychedelic subculture.

I highly recommend them.

Also, purely in terms of verbal edification (because I don't care for rap), there are some excellent rap artists out there. In fact, the only rap c.d.'s I own are Christian rap.

Flame, the Ambassador, Cross Movement, etc., are all excellent, and have some very edifying, theologically sound songs.

There's also the 2 Psalm c.d.'s that the PRC puts out, both of which are more than worth the money.

-----Added 1/3/2009 at 05:00:12 EST-----

Also, I think one of the greatest Christian songs I've heard is, ironically enough, Johnny Cash's version of "The Old Account Was Settled Long Ago" on the San Quentin c.d. I really enjoy that track, and am almost always blessed by listening to it.

Outside of the Psalter, here's my favorite song:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhbUHqPyLEk]YouTube - And Can It Be that I Should Gain[/ame]

Phillips, Craig & Dean

You mean, there's really only one of them, appearing at different times as Phillips, Craig and Dean?

Sons of Korah, who have already been mentioned, are an Australian group who sing all or mainly psalms. If I recall correctly they are Presbyterians by background.

I like Toby Mac, Skillet, Chris Tomblim,Derrik Webb, Addison Road totally LOVE the song What do I know of Holy? KJ-52, Newsboys, that's all I can think of right now... I'll be back though...

Oh is this ONLY christian music?

Phillips, Craig & Dean

You mean, there's really only one of them, appearing at different times as Phillips, Craig and Dean?

Sons of Korah, who have already been mentioned, are an Australian group who sing all or mainly psalms. If I recall correctly they are Presbyterians by background.

:rofl: I just woke the dog! That is too funny. I seem to remember that the lead singer/translator (song writer just doesn't work with them) is a teaching elder.

Oh, I forgot
Relient K
Hawk Nelson
Barlow Girl
Falling Up
Big Daddy Weave
...and for the little ones, Go Fish and any Veggie Tales video soundtrack

Anyone know of some good bluegrass that's biblical?

Are any of the above artist giving away anything for free download (legal of course) :)

Anyone know of some good bluegrass that's biblical?

Are any of the above artist giving away anything for free download (legal of course) :)

The Nashiville Bluegrass Band "A Child enters Life", I love that song and do muse over its words at length.

The Louvin Brothers output was nearly all gospel, and very biblical it is too. "The Great Atomic Power" is a real gem in its insight.

Derek Webb (formerly of the band Caedmon's Call) makes his music available for free downloads. He's excellent-good lyrics, reformed, and an eclectic style that is a mix of folk, acoustic, and maybe some light rock.

I'm just going to go down the list and critique these picks, because I would personally not give many if any of these picks to my sons/daughters. If I was picking music for my children two things would be the most important in choosing: 1) lyrics (are they biblical) and 2) music (will it lead them to be more emotional or too emotional than what they already are as kids/teenagers?). So here goes.

-BarlowGirl - Not too familiar with this.
-Bebo Norman - Bebo is pretty good, I think. From what I've heard all good
-Big Daddy Weave - Can we throw this out because of the name :)
-Big Tent Revival (I grew up with this on all the time) - Did not listen to too much of this.
-Brandon Heath - Never heard of him
-Building 429 - Never heard of them
-Caedmon's Call - The Older the album is the better, after their first worship album it gets somewhat social justice-y
-Casting Crowns - Can lead a kid to emotionalism, and lyrics are not sound biblically (In my humble opinion - too sappy, evangelicalish, no meat)
-Chris Tomlin (This guy is REALLY good) - Passion movement, although good for the lyrics typically is playing off kids over-emotional states and making them more emotional
-David Crowder - Same thing as Tomlin
-dc Talk - not very deep, nothing else to say
-Derek Webb - First solo album is pretty good, after that social justicy and more mainstream-ish
-Jars of Clay - ok, better the older it is
-Jeremy Camp - ???
-John Waller - Never heard of them
-Justifide - heard of them, never listened to them
-Kutless - no comment
-Lecrae - never heard of them
-Tedashii - never heard of them
-Leeland - never heard of them
-Matthew West - I don't know what I think
-MercyMe - same as casting crowns but even worse lyrics than them
-Michael W. Smith - lyrics are bad, arminian and individualistic (sorry mr. smith), "like a rose, trampled on the ground, you took the fall (or something) and thought of ME ABOVE ALL??? NOT! You were thinking of being obedient to your Father and your bride!
-Newsboys - Lyrics are not meaty at all, can't think of anything that was wrong with it at all
-Phillips, Craig & Dean - these guys might be good (apparently they are modalists, didnt know that)
-Robbie Seay Band - Allman Brothers Band? No, I dont know
-Rush of Fools - dont know
-Sanctus Real - No comment
-Skillet - Arminian to the core!!! STAY AWAY, bad theology
-Sonic Flood - Emotionalism for worship, Arminian
-Steven Curtis Chapman - Better, kind of like michael w. smith in style, might be good, check out the lyrics first
-Third Day - these guys are southern baptists i believe, ok, not the best theology
-Thousand Foot Krutch - punk?
-Toby Mac - rap?
-Todd Agnew - I dont know
-Tree63 - I dont remember
-All the guys from the 116 Clique (Tedashii, Trip Lee, Lecrae, Shai Linn, Sho Baraka, etc.) - never heard of before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back