1559 - Latin
1560 - French

Translations English
1536 - Latin
1541 - French -----White (2008)
1559 - Latin -----Battles/McNeil (1960)
1560 - French

So my questions:
1. Is there any 1560 translation? It appears that that would be the most up to date and so seems thatd be the best choice
2. If only the 1559 version is available, is then Battles/Mcneil the best? Also, is there a Kindle version or only hardcopy?

The 1559 was the final edition, with which Calvin was finally satisfied. It was translated into French the following year.

Beveridge's translation should be the complete 1559 version. Be aware that Beveridge uses some antiquated English, which I like but which many people might not enjoy.

I cannot speak to the accuracy of the translations, but it is my understanding that Beveridge is well received.

I tried both Battles and Beveridge and prefer the latter. The prose is much more flowing and Calvin writes so clearly I don't think the style is very outdated at all.

The best version for kindle is the OSNOVA edition. It has the complete KJV embedded in it and every verse reference in the Institutes is linked so you can quickly follow the link to see the context. Superb edition even with the occasional typo.

And Beveridge is quite a bit cheaper to get in hardcopy or kindle.

Unless they've got another link to a newer Osnova edition this is what I'm getting on Amazon ;

Screenshot-3.jpg

Notice on the right at the top of the screenshot, "This title is not currently available for purchase."

Now I'm interested in getting the Beveridge translation on my Kindle as well, and curious about these two edtions ;

Here are the top two Kindle search results for The Institutes translated my Beveridge. The first example has an introduction by John Murray, which is quite inviting, but shows a print length of 584 pages, file Size: 4442 KB.

The second example, below, shows a print length of 1454 pages, yet the file size, 2604 KB, is smaller than that of the first ! Can someone explain how that works ? Is it a matter of pagination ? There is no indication that the first is an abridgment, and as usual, Amazon uses the same reviews for all editions.

https://www.amazon.com/Institutes-C...r=1-1&keywords=calvin's+institutes,+beveridge

Product Details

File Size: 4442 KB
Print Length: 584 pages
Publisher: Fig; 1 edition (January 1, 2012)
Publication Date: January 1, 2012
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
Language: English
ASIN: B006US2R6G

https://www.amazon.com/Institutes-C...r=1-2&keywords=calvin's+institutes,+beveridge

Product Details

File Size: 2604 KB
Print Length: 1454 pages
Publication Date: September 12, 2011
Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
Language: English
ASIN: B005MR3X9G

Yes, that is the OSNOVA edition, Amazon must have taken it down for failure to fix reported typos? I can almost guarantee all the other editions on there have the same typos though.

At one point they offered it on their website as a purchase/download but that no longer seems to exist. I've emailed Illya (he and his wife did the edition) and hopefully he'll correct it and get it back up. I can't really recommend any other edition, as this one is superior in all aspects.

I think Barnes and Noble may have the version for the Nook. You should be able to import it into Calibre and read it afterwards.

Last edited:
Jason, do you know if the Mcneill edition is considered the best one tp own/use?

David, Jason started the thread asking for advice on editions. So he's wondering the same thing.

As for "the best one t[o] own," that's sort of like asking, "which is better--Microsoft or Apple?" It boils down to personal preference and, if you are deeply into scholarly studies, nuances.

The Battles/McNeill edition is a very fine translation; full of useful footnotes. It is more modern than the Beveridge translation. Some find it a bit easier to read. I notice paraphrases that bother me slightly, but it does the job of getting Calvin across.

Beveridge's translation is a bit more stilted, a bit more faithful to some turns of phrase in Calvin's French version, sometimes you can't tell if he is following the French or Latin at a given point, but over all, it also does a good job of getting Calvin across.

Beveridge's translation is public domain, and you can find it free or at little cost all over the internet.

Battles/McNeill is more costly.

I have both, and I also have a facsimile of the 1560 French edition and several digital copies of the various Latin editions. When I have leisure time, I'll read the French version and then go see how the translators rendered certain phrases.

But, really, any of them are fine to get started with. Get one and read it.

Last edited:
Thanks Victor, I have read the Beveridge edition on Calvin before, was just curious if the Mcneill one was better one to purchase and use! Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back