Unborn infants and WCF 10.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Curtis

Puritan Board Senior
Any resource recommendations for the inclusion in this section of the Confession of elect babies who die inside the womb?

@kainos01

Steve,

I've always taken "elect infants dying in infancy" to include elect infants who die inside the womb. Does something prompt you to think otherwise?

Peace,
Alan

Just like Dort, the people in those days faced high infant mortality. They surely had infants in the womb in mind.

@kainos01

Steve,

I've always taken "elect infants dying in infancy" to include elect infants who die inside the womb. Does something prompt you to think otherwise?

Peace,
Alan
Not at all.
I am interacting with someone, however, who is making a distinction between "pre-born" and "born" infants.
I just wanted to see if someone had done the legwork already to make the case that the distinction is unwarranted.

The Lutheran writer Charles Krauth marshaled quite a few quotations from early Reformed sources in his, Infant Baptism And Infant Salvation In The Calvinistic System. His analysis is definitely from a Lutheran perspective, but one particularly pertinent remark is from the German Reformed divine David Pareus.

Neither Zwingli, nor Calvin, nor any one of us, places, without distinction in heaven with the saints, all infants who die without baptism, whether unborn or in birth, or while they are carried to baptism, but they pronounce this, by the law of charity, of the infants alone of the Church, born in the Covenant if they be prevented by death, nevertheless, without interference with the election of God, which as of old in the family of Abraham and Isaac, so in after time often hath made, and doth make a discrimination which we are neither to search into nor to scoff at, but to adore (Rom. 9:11). This is the constant judgment of ourselves, and of our divines concerning this question. (Krauth, p.27)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back