Understanding Matthew 26:26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas_Goodwin

Puritan Board Freshman
Matthew 26:26
"Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.”"

Not only is the Lord's supper literally the body of Christ but also

John 15:1
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser."

Jesus is literally a vine
and

John 4:13
"Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again,"

literally water too...

"Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.”"

and

literally water too...
What are you getting at?

What are you getting at?
oh sorry I thought it was clear. I was addressing transubstantiation, and if you didn't as the Lord Jesus done (in Matthew chapter 4) let verse interpret verse, you would be forced by the same line of reasoning to accept Jesus is wine and bread just as He is a vine and water.

and

literally water too...
:scratch:

I get what you're saying. If someone is going to take his words literally in regards to "this is my body..., this is my blood..." then they would have to do the same with other metaphors, which of course is ridiculous. Good point. Did you just have a light bulb moment?;)

I get what you're saying. If someone is going to take his words literally in regards to "this is my body..., this is my blood..." then they would have to do the same with other metaphors, which of course is ridiculous. Good point. Did you just have a light bulb moment?;)
Yes. I have been confused on how to understand the matthew verse. but then understanding this made sense to me :cheers:

This is a helpful thought. A couple considerations:

1) Don't title your thread in such a way as to mislead readers to think you are about to make a serious confession, when in reality you meant it as sarcasm. Sarcasm is fine, but it must be placed in the right context and presented thoughtfully.

2) Make your original post clearer. When I first read it, I thought you were confessing to the board that you now accept transubstantiation, which made my heart sink. It wasn't until three or four posts later that I realized you were being sarcastic. Perhaps take more time to tell us a more complete and coherent thought in your original post instead of leaving it up to us to figure out what is going on. It would have been better to craft the post like this:

"Hello, all. I have recently been struggling with how to interpret Matthew 26:26 in a way that doesn't lead to transubstantiation. It wasn't until recently thought to myself, 'Hey, if Jesus is literally wine and bread, then he would have to be literally a vine and door, too! Scripture interprets Scripture.'"​

This is a helpful thought. A couple considerations:

1) Don't title your thread in such a way as to mislead readers to think you are about to make a serious confession, when in reality you meant it as sarcasm. Sarcasm is fine, but it must be placed in the right context and presented thoughtfully.

2) Make your original post clearer. When I first read it, I thought you were confessing to the board that you now accept transubstantiation, which made my heart sink. It wasn't until three or four posts later that I realized you were being sarcastic. Perhaps take more time to tell us a more complete and coherent thought in your original post instead of leaving it up to us to figure out what is going on. It would have been better to craft the post like this:

"Hello, all. I have recently been struggling with how to interpret Matthew 26:26 in a way that doesn't lead to transubstantiation. It wasn't until recently thought to myself, 'Hey, if Jesus is literally wine and bread, then he would have to be literally a vine and door, too! Scripture interprets Scripture.'"​
Yes you are right brother. I realize that now could have been problematic. My apologies brothers and sisters. This thread should be deleted or retitled but I dont know to do that. My fault

I repent and acknowledge my sin is being an instrument of confusion and distress
You haven't sinned, brother. As I said, you make a good point, one that I've thought about in times past, too. It's not a sin to post something in a weird way. :) I'm sure the moderators, when they have a moment, can change the title for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back