Unicorns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand why you might get angry now, but I didn't intend such. I never, ever (and if I did I would certainly get angry at myself) intended communicting with spirits or fairy dancing or whatever. You made a comment on my heritage. That might be true but not lately. I am more Italian than anything else. I didn't even have my Gaelic heritage in mind when I made that comment.

I have always been interested in worldview matters. I also believe the Enlightenment to be one of the darkest moments in Western history. I was simply trying to trace out why people do not believe such and such when educated people did believe such and such a few centuries earlier. My point was that given Enlightenment standards of rationality, people can't believe in supernatural. And while we are all committed Christians, we still retain elements of the Enlightenment in our minds.

That's it. I didn't intend anything else. I will be honest with you. I don't know much about Fairies. I don't know if I have ever read a book on them. I am not that interested. They were simply an illustration in a worldview argument. An illustration. That's it.

I was simply trying to trace out why people do not believe such and such when educated people did believe such and such a few centuries earlier.

Because we are better educated and have more knowledge. Did you read the whole of Gill's commentaries on Job 41? Nowadays a stupid Western child has more understanding of natural history than he did, and much more than Augustine. And it's the same with Fairies. We don't believe in them or Unicorns because they don't exist.

All primitive peoples believe in Kamis, Elves, Goblins, Kobolds etc.. and it drove me nuts in Africa. "Who beat you up?" "The Tokoloshi" "There's no such thing as a Tokoloshi, it was you boy friend, and I'm going to write him up or kick his butt myself" "No, boss, I saw it, it was a Tokoloshi".

Little men that get blamed for everything bad, just like fairies, goblins, trolls, imps and the rest. There's no uniformity of belief as far as details. It was the same way in Europe before they had widespread literacy; every area had it's own contradictory view what they look like, what to do to make them stay away, etc....In one area you may have to carry around a secret potion, in another one local Black pastor claimed he bought the services of three Tokoloshis by giving them his grandfather's liver, and it goes on and on.

Thanks. I'll know now to keep a little human liver on me when I'm in Africa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back