Union with Christ and the Lord's Supper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonnerd

Puritan Board Freshman
How would John Murray’s statement that Union with Christ is the central truth in the doctrine of salvation inform a Calvinistic view of the Lord’s Supper? And if I wanted to study more about that, are there some things you would recommend that I look at? Thanks! Rob

(I know there is a lot of meat on that bone, and I don't want to miss any of it)

Maurice Roberts has a chapter in Union and Communion with Christ called "Our Union with Christ in the Sacraments," but I wish he would have gone into more detail. One of the many great statements in that book is, "if we mean to enjoy in its fullness the love and joy of soul the Christ affords to those who are in union with Him, we must attend carefully to the duties which His Word enjoins upon us day to day." That statement is in the context of obedience to His commands, but diligently attending to the normal means of grace (Word, prayer, and sacraments) are also necessary.

I would recommend BB Warfield's article "The Fundamental Significance of the Lord's Supper", online at Monergism.com,as the most helpful thing I've come across on the Lord's Supper.

Being united to Christ by faith means that we are, or can be, nourished by Him at all times and not just at the Table ( see e.g. John 6:25-71), but He uses special means at the Table.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back