Update: Mail a red envelope Mar. 31 to protest abortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

a mere housewife

Not your cup of tea
I received this and wanted to pass it along (I am unsure which forum this should go in, as not everyone can see politics and govt?):

Just in case you hadn't heard:

Get a red envelope. You can buy them at stationery stores, craft stores, or party supply stores. On the front, address it to:

President Barack Obama
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington , D.C. 20500

On the back, write the following message:

"This envelope represents one child who died because of an abortion. It is empty because the life that was taken is now unable to be a part of our world."

We will mail the envelopes out March 31st, 2009.

Put it in the mail, and send it. Then forward this to every one of your friends who you think would send one too. I wish we could send 50 million red envelopes, one for every child who died [in the U.S.] before
having a chance to live.

It may seem that those who believe abortion is wrong are in a minority. It may seem like we have no voice and it's shameful to even bring it up. Let us show our President and the world that the voices of those of us who do not believe abortion is acceptable are not silent and must be heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder if this could be brought back up March 30 to remind us people who have short memories? :D

I got a copy of this in my e-mail as well, but I think it might be better served not just sending them to the White House, but also to our Congressmen and Senators..asking them to support this: (maybe write/call your reps asking them to support this bill)

Issue Center: Families - United States Representative Steve King

In the 108th Congress, I was a co-sponsor of H.R. 3069, the Life at Conception Act, which would recognize the sanctity of life from the moment it begins. Unfortunately, the Life at Conception Act was not passed in the 108th Congress. It has been reintroduced in the 109th Congress as H.R. 552, the Right to Life Act. Once again I am glad to co-sponsor the Right to Life Act. The bill is currently in the Judiciary Committee Subcommittee on the Constitution, of which I am a member.

What do you think about sending a book to Obama such as Defending Life: A Moral and Legal Case Against Abortion Choice by Francis Beckwith and a letter that asks him to read it? This book makes an excellent case for the pro-life position and answers the objections of the pro-choice position.

Last edited:
Wonder if this could be brought back up March 30 to remind us people who have short memories? :D

Sarah I put a reminder on my google calendar for Mar. 30 to remind me to remind you people :).

-----Added 3/11/2009 at 12:18:10 EST-----

What do you think about sending a book to Obama such as Defending Life: A Moral and Legal Case Against Abortion Choice by Francis Beckwith and a letter that asks him to read it? This book makes an excellent case for the pro-life position and answers the objections of the pro-choice position.

I doubt that he himself actually reads much of his mail: but perhaps someone on his staff would read it? I am not sure what they do with books that are sent -- I would guess that most either get filed or recycled somehow. My brother in law works at the white house in security and my sister (who is on the board of directors for a pro life agency in her area) tells me not to expect the President to ever personally receive anything sent to him. Thus the red envelopes and the hope of many people sending: what the President does get is an idea of how many people care about certain issues from his mail reading staff.

-----Added 3/11/2009 at 12:21:12 EST-----

I got a copy of this in my e-mail as well, but I think it might be better served not just sending them to the White House, but also to our Congressmen and Senators..asking them to support this: (maybe write/call your reps asking them to support this bill)

Issue Center: Families - United States Representative Steve King

In the 108th Congress, I was a co-sponsor of H.R. 3069, the Life at Conception Act, which would recognize the sanctity of life from the moment it begins. Unfortunately, the Life at Conception Act was not passed in the 108th Congress. It has been reintroduced in the 109th Congress as H.R. 552, the Right to Life Act. Once again I am glad to co-sponsor the Right to Life Act. The bill is currently in the Judiciary Committee Subcommittee on the Constitution, of which I am a member.

Bobbi I think it would also be good to contact senators and representatives, but I think this initiative is aimed more at making President Obama realize how many people are not ready to roll over and play dead on this issue; and as such I can understand why whoever is heading this up is trying to keep it as simple as possible, so that as many people as possibly can will participate (sometimes complicating with several people to contact etc. simply gets put on a 'to do when I have time' list that never gets done)?

This is great. A gal at our church is hosting a get together to write letters to legislators against abortion. I am going to take a box of red envelopes I think. :up: :up:

I was speaking with my mentally disabled daughter Saturday night.

She told me that she would have named her baby girl Vanessa. I asked her who did the abortion. She said it was "family planning something". I said, "Planned Parenthood?" She said, "Yes! Planned Parenthood of Madison".

She told me that the 'caring' doctors there told her that if she tried to have the baby that she would bleed to death. Aren't they wonderful?

They killed Vanessa and I'm going to send them a letter every year on what would have been her birthday and remind them that they took advantage of a mentally disabled girl in order to kill my granddaughter for money.

I'll try to find a red envelope as well but it just doesn't seem like it's enough.

I pray it will help toward curing our national insanity.

I'll try to find a red envelope as well but it just doesn't seem like it's enough.

If you don't have a red envelope, you can make one out of construction paper. Just fold it to the correct size. This is what we did for our letters to the Prime Minister and MP.

I doubt that he himself actually reads much of his mail: but perhaps someone on his staff would read it?

It is unlikely the he will see any of the letters, but others will.

We (and by "we" I mean, my wife) organized our church's participation and will mail a bunch tomorrow. They will be seen, if not by the President, then by those in the Postal Service.

Mine is addressed and ready to go. Though I lacked the push to go and find red envelopes myself, one of the ladies from my bible study class brought them in for everyone.

Couldn't find just the envelopes cheaply, so we went to the dollar store (2 cards for a dollar) and picked ones we'd eventually use that had red envelopes. Ours are addressed and ready to go today.

thanks for the reminder! my son and i just colored some envelopes--far from professional, but hopefully it will serve as a reminder that this is important to all people of all ages.
we're off to the post office now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back