Update on LA Presbytery

Status
Not open for further replies.
FV sympathizers?

What is an 'FV sympathizer'? Is it someone who agrees with FV, or someone who does not agree but doesn't think it is that big of a deal?

:detective: This is an insightful question, and I appreciate the humor with which others have answered it, but I have chosen to deal with it seriously. In fact, I revised my current story on the LaP, to comment on this question.

I think if you read my original story on the Jan. 19 LaP meeting, you will get a sense of how some of the votes were subtly nuanced, with commissioners voting the same way for different reasons. Perhaps I was not subtly nuanced enough, as I got private correspondence from a friend of mine in an FV church, chiding me that there were commissioners at the Jan. 19 meeting voting in a perceivably anti-FV way, who really were pro-FV, but who were voting the way they did in order to protect the LaP vis a vis the SJC. That may be the case, somewhat, but I think not significantly. I think the over-arching point is that groups arrive at truth, or clarify truth, gradually, with different members getting it quicker than others.

Let's take a concrete example. Rev. Wilkins' associate pastor made a motion at the Jan. 19 meeting to disapprove Rev. Wilkins' FV views. He was hoping a negative vote would be construed as a "vote of confidence" on Rev. Wilkins. That motion failed. I voted against it, not because I favored Rev. Wilkins' views, but because I felt the motion was out of order. The moderator had ruled it was in order, and I had not had the presence of mind to appeal the decision of the chair. Probably I would have lost that vote, if I had appealed it.

The point is -- there were subtle shades of issues. We got there gradually. Those of you from elsewhere who are so sure you are clearly pro-FV or clearly anti-FV have trouble understanding why we did this or that. The answer is, I think -- truth is a process, not having arrived fully.

If you know who it specifically was, I might be able to help you. Normally if the clerk of the session remained in good standing membership with AAPC, it is likely that he went with them into the CREC and is no longer the moderator of the Presbytery. But I confess a degree of ignorance on these matters.

I believe his last name was Peabody.

Close enough. Since he is a good friend of mine, and a man of integrity, I don't really want to disclose names nor speak of him in an informal forum. I know who you are talking about. I am sure he went with the church when they switched denominations. But to be honest, I don't know. I haven't seen him in a while.

That is fine, brother. I do not want to put you in a awkard sitution. I have never met him, but knew only of his connection in this.

Yes, Jacob you are correct on Peter Leithart. I checked the current PCA ministerial directory and he is still a member of Pacific NW Presbytery, but he is laboring out of bounds at St. Andrews College with the FV Pope, Doug Wilson. What a shame that the Presbytery never found his views to be problematic. You wonder who is in that Presbytery.

I really don't wonder. The FV should have never gotten as big as it did. It is conceptually abstract and represents a microcosm of an already tiny group (e.g., the Reformed church). People should have ignored it from day one and it would have been relegated to obscurity. Instead, everyone wanted to be Luther and Machen and look what we got now.

Also, For what it's worth, even though I disagree with Dr Leithart on FV, I love most all of his works.

I find it extremely interesting that the "high ecclesiology" of Rev. Leithart permits him to plant a church in another denomination whilst staying in the PCA. When the Committee for the Review of Presbytery Records raised this fact (which would have raised a storm had it been an OPC church that was being planted) the "be charitable" types shouted it down.

I have real concerns for the PCA when they start doing this kind of thing. We can surmise that issues of worship or women in leadership will split the denomination, but these kind of actions is what led to the demise of the old PCUS. The "be charitable" types are more of a threat to the unity of the church than the so-called TR's (which I am happy to be a member of that club :)

Last edited:
At one time the clerk of the AAPC session was also the clerk of LA Presbytery, so is he still in the PCA?

You are speaking of my friend M. Dale Peacock. He went with his church into the CREC, and has resigned as stated clerk of the LaP (PCA).

The new stated clerk is Dr. James Jones, a TE, who was one of the witnesses for the prosecution at the SJC yesterday. The other prosecution witness is our current LaP moderator, Troy Richards, a RE, as I explain in my story, "LaP Admonished," posted today.

Thanks, brother. The sad thing in all of this is it puts friends we love on the wrong side of the issue. We all find ourselves in similar situations.

Last I heard, Leithart re-submitted his views to the NW Presbytery after the decision at GA last summer. A committee was formed...

I hope not another committee to find him in conformity with the Westminster Standards. I sometimes wonder why these Presbyteries or members of Presbyteries do not leave the denomination or at least throw out the standards. Little by little they keep chipping away at our confession until nothing is left. :( I would encourage everyone to read Dr. Morton Smith's excellent book, How The Gold Has Become Dim.

Imperfect perceptions of truth

Question for Haiglaw; Did you really mean to say that "truth is a process"?

Yes, in the sense we are all sinful and fallible and non-omniscient.

Jesus Christ is Truth incarnate, and the Word of God written is inerrant.

But our perceptions of Truth are in the process of sanctification, just like everything else about us. Paul said he had not arrived, he was continuing the course, he was fighting the good fight.

That was what I meant. :think: Make sense?

But our perceptions of Truth are in the process of sanctification, just like everything else about us. Paul said he had not arrived, he was continuing the course, he was fighting the good fight.

Yes, thanks!

BTW, as a PCA member in the NW, I would like to request prayer for our presbytery that it would make a wise diecision re; Leithart which will protect us from FV but also be fair to Rev. Leithart. (I haven't read him, so don't have a formed opinion, but I do have an opinion re; FV).

prayer and discernment?

Yes, thanks!

BTW, as a PCA member in the NW, I would like to request prayer for our presbytery that it would make a wise decision re; Leithart which will protect us from FV but also be fair to Rev. Leithart. (I haven't read him, so don't have a formed opinion, but I do have an opinion re; FV).

Yes, indeed. I have not read him either. I do pray for your presbytery's discernment as you approach these important issues.

Yes, thanks!

BTW, as a PCA member in the NW, I would like to request prayer for our presbytery that it would make a wise diecision re; Leithart which will protect us from FV but also be fair to Rev. Leithart. (I haven't read him, so don't have a formed opinion, but I do have an opinion re; FV).

This blog has periodic updates regarding the proceedings about Leithart in the PNW Presbytery.

De Regnis Duobus: Cult, Culture, and the Christian's Dual Citizenship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back