At my university's "alternative" editorial publication, we had a most wonderful article on religion by a truly ignorant individual (both in the article and in real life - I have the misfortune of knowing her). This is the Ten Commandments (in bold) with her suggested Ten Amendments
- Thou shalt have no other gods before me...unless you're not Chirstian.
- Thou shalt not take the name of God in vain...unless it's reflexive.
- Thou shalt not make unto thee an idol...unless it's purely symbolic.
- Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy...unless you must attend to thy family and kin.
- Honor thy father and mother...unless they encourage you to break the other nine rules.
- Thou shalt not kill...unless protecting thy self and thy family from dire harm.
- Thou shalt not commit adultery...unless it ensures the safety of thy loved ones.
- Thou shalt not steal...unless thou art starving.
- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor...unless thy life or the life of a loved one necessitates it.
- Thought shalt not eveny thy neighbor's possesions or situation...or at least make great effort to do so.