Upgrading PB...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
Apologies to Robin and Rev Winzer. I've been trying to upgrade a dB and ran into some major errors. The only way to resolve the problem was to restore a previous dB.

To the rest, I'm trying to help upgrade the board. More later but please keep me in prayer right now.

[Edited on 9-26-2006 by SemperFideles]
 

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
PRAISE GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mean to be too emphatic but, brothers and sisters, I was stressed out while you guys were sleeping. I was at a point where I thought the database for this board was completely trashed.

Anyway, everything seems to be working now. If you guys note any issues then please U2U me. The version of XMB that powers this board was about 2 years out of date and had some huge security holes. Talk about Divine Providence that we haven't been hacked heretofore.

Add to that, I just happened to check the WHOIS information for puritanboard.com. Guess when the domain expires? TODAY. We're working on making sure we get control back of the domain. I'll also be working on getting the board on a more stable and quicker platform.

I'm just so excited that this is working correctly now. I don't want accolades. The fact that it works is a tremendous relief.
 

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
Rich,

On each post, next to the "posted on" date and time, there is a image that seems to be missing.

Can you check that?

I have a ticket into NoMonthlyFees to find out what we need to do for the domain name.

I'll let you know.
 

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
Originally posted by C. Matthew McMahon
Rich,

On each post, next to the "posted on" date and time, there is a image that seems to be missing.

Can you check that?

I have a ticket into NoMonthlyFees to find out what we need to do for the domain name.

I'll let you know.
Matt,

I was looking for that image as we speak.

I also sent an e-mail to NoMonthly Fees and CC:'d Scott. Please U2U me your e-mail address and I'll forward to you what I sent them.
 

jaybird0827

PuritanBoard Honor Roll
Rich - Question (when you have time)

God is good.

Did the upgrade plug the security hole that allowed not-signed-in lurkers to pick up our email addresses?

Thanks.
 

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
Originally posted by jaybird0827
God is good.

Did the upgrade plug the security hole that allowed not-signed-in lurkers to pick up our email addresses?

Thanks.
I'm not certain. Probably. They even took down the 1.9.5 version which was only a few months old because of security holes.

This upgrade was TOUGH because the release we're on was just released yesterday. I was actually having to help them de-bug the stinking upgrade script. Very frustrating.
 

Civbert

Puritan Board Junior
Originally posted by SemperFideles
PRAISE GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mean to be too emphatic but, brothers and sisters, I was stressed out while you guys were sleeping. I was at a point where I thought the database for this board was completely trashed.

Anyway, everything seems to be working now. If you guys note any issues then please U2U me. The version of XMB that powers this board was about 2 years out of date and had some huge security holes. Talk about Divine Providence that we haven't been hacked heretofore.

Add to that, I just happened to check the WHOIS information for puritanboard.com. Guess when the domain expires? TODAY. We're working on making sure we get control back of the domain. I'll also be working on getting the board on a more stable and quicker platform.

I'm just so excited that this is working correctly now. I don't want accolades. The fact that it works is a tremendous relief.

whew!! We need a sweaty little "whew" emoticon.

Good job! Thanks for keeping PB online!
 

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
I see that hyperlinks are different and there have been a couple of changes to the smilies (for example, there is no "thumbs up" anymore but there are a couple of new smiley faces).

Rich -- Thanks for preserving the intergrity of the board. I'm clueless about the behind-the-scenes work involved in maintaining this board but very grateful for all your efforts.
 

jaybird0827

PuritanBoard Honor Roll
If I enter a hyperlink, it no longer shows up in blue. I tried the tag as a workaround; this also failed.
 

py3ak

They're stalling and plotting against me
Staff member
Rich, I give you an accolade. I know that's why you do it.
 

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
I see that hyperlinks are different and there have been a couple of changes to the smilies (for example, there is no "thumbs up" anymore but there are a couple of new smiley faces).

Rich -- Thanks for preserving the intergrity of the board. I'm clueless about the behind-the-scenes work involved in maintaining this board but very grateful for all your efforts.
:up:
I added it back to the list but I'll have to figure out why it's not displaying...

Link color repaired. More to do...
 

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Good morning there Rich!
Hi. I have to get going to work now. A few bugs I've noticed and I'd love to repair them now but it's about 0620 now and I really need to get out the door. I've got meetings this AM so it's be pretty late your time by the time I get fully engaged on this again.

Blessings,

Rich
 

SRoper

Puritan Board Graduate
It's comforting to know that while we sleep there are little gnomes in a magical, faraway country tending to the inner workings of Puritanboard.

Just to add to your buglist:

Posting dates are displaying incorrectly.

Page titles are all showing "The Puritanboard - Powered by XMB" rather than the name of the thread.
 

jaybird0827

PuritanBoard Honor Roll
I like the links all showing in blue now.

I noticed a problem with [size][/size]. What used to be size=4 I have to use size=16 to get same effect. If I say size=4 you can't even read it.

This stuff reminds me of what has happened many times when I've put a program in production. Or had to fix while the program was in production.

I've noticed a big improvement in performance. :cool:
 

SRoper

Puritan Board Graduate
Strange. Here are some screenshots of what I am experiencing:

[align=center]

Title bar



Tabs with page titles



Post timestamp[/align]
 

turmeric

Megerator
Where did the Puritanboard logo go? Yeah, I know, complain, complain, complain!

Thanks, Rich, for preventing the Crash of "06!!
 

Augusta

Puritan Board Doctor
I see the logo and I don't see the things that Scott is seeing. Are you both using Firefox? I am using IE and don't see those things.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top