Ursinus' Summe of Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

panicbird

Puritan Board Freshman
Is Ursinus' Summe of Religion the same as his Commentary on the Heidelberg Catechism?

Last edited:
Yes, I believe that they are essentially the same with the Summe being the original English title which we now refer to as Ursinus' Commentary.

THE SUMME OF CHRISTIAN FAITH DELIVERED BY ZACHARIAS URSINUS First, by way of CATECHISM, and then afterwards more enlarged by a sound and judicious EXPOSITION, and APPLICATION of the same. First Englished by D.HENRY PARRY, and now again conferred with the best and last Latine Edition of D. DAVID PAREUS, sometime Professour of Divinity in Heidelberge. LONDON, Printed by James Young, and are to be sold by Steven Bowtell, at the signe of the Bible in Popes-head Alley. 1645. This commentary on the catechism by its primary author was translated into English in editions published in England in 1587, 1591, 1611, 1617, 1633, and the one cited in 1645.

Thanks, Andrew.

Two things about the quotation in your post:
1. I like the word "Englished". It sounds funny yet it gets the point across.
2. "Popes-head Alley" The First London Baptist Confession was printed there. It, too, makes me laugh; it also makes me wonder where the name came from.

Thanks, Andrew.

Two things about the quotation in your post:
1. I like the word "Englished". It sounds funny yet it gets the point across.
2. "Popes-head Alley" The First London Baptist Confession was printed there. It, too, makes me laugh; it also makes me wonder where the name came from.

I like the word "Englished" too. I've noticed it before, for example, in the title of Henry Ainsworth's psalter: The Book of Psalms: Englished both in Prose and Metre.

Here is a bit of info on Pope's Head Alley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back