US Supreme Court to decide case concerning right not to work on the Christian Sabbath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jie-Huli

Puritan Board Freshman
I was interested to read about this earlier today

https://www.nationalreview.com/corn...-can-punish-sabbath-observing-letter-carrier/

As I understand it, the case relates to a Sabbatarian Christian US postal worker who was being told to work on the Sabbath, apparently after the postal service entered into arrangements with Amazon to deliver Amazon orders 7 days a week.

Will be interesting to see what happens with this. Obviously society is very far from being in a position where the magistrate will actively protect the sanctity of the Sabbath as it ought; the case will be about how much accommodation employers must make for the free exercise of religion. But it could have wide-reaching effects on the ability of Sabbath-keeping Christians in the US to work in a variety of fields.

Thanks for the heads up. This is a situation where I wish believers were more universally consistent. We don't work on Sunday; we don't ask others to work on Sunday (outside of necessity and mercy); we teach our children to kindly contend to keep God's law ... How many will look at this case and ask, "Wow, is that still a thing?" I'll be interested in the justices' questions because I bet they'll either see this practice as fringe or will pound away at the inconsistencies.

Inconsistencies aside, if the Christian can prove that the practice of observing the Lord's Day is not a spurious excuse, but rather a legitimately held conviction as part of their faith, it should be pretty cut and dry.

In my eyes it should be as simple as presenting evidence that the Christian is indeed committed to their faith (active membership), and that observing the Lord's Day is a significant matter (historic confession/church doctrinal standards).

Unfortunately the current level an employer has to reach in order to deny a Sabbatarian employee’s request is rather low; “undue hardship”, as the courts understand it, is virtually anything that would cause them to make any changes.

If not working on the Lord’s Day would require changing other employees schedules, that would reach the threshold. Obviously antinomian professing believers (sounds odd to say) outnumbering us significantly makes it even that more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back