Use of the term Sabbath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zimon

Puritan Board Freshman
I noticed many people here use the term "Sabbath" for the Lord's Day, which surprised me at the beginning since it is not common where I live, only Jews and STAs would use it. While I understand why they call the Saturday "Sabbath", I do not understand why Christians should call Sunday "Sabbath". I think it is very clear that the biblical Sabbath for Israel was on Saturday, not on Sunday. Of course, we do not have to keep the old-covenant Sabbath on Saturday like STAs do, but why should we then call the Sunday Sabbath?
The passages that proof that the early Christians did meet on Sunday (Acts 20:7, 1 Corinthians 16:2) do not mention the term as well.
Thank you!

Westminster Confession of Faith

Chapter XXI
Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day

I. The light of nature shows that there is a God, who has lordship and sovereignty over all, is good, and does good unto all, and is therefore to be feared, loved, praised, called upon, trusted in, and served, with all the heart, and with all the soul, and with all the might.[1] But the acceptable way of worshipping the true God is instituted by Himself, and so limited by His own revealed will, that He may not be worshipped according to the imaginations and devices of men, or the suggestions of Satan, under any visible representation, or any other way not prescribed in the holy Scripture.[2]

VII. As it is the law of nature, that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God; so, in His Word, by a positive, moral, and perpetual commandment binding all men in all ages, He has particularly appointed one day in seven, for a Sabbath, to be kept holy unto him:[34] which, from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week: and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week,[35] which, in Scripture, is called the Lord's Day,[36] and is to be continued to the end of the world, as the Christian Sabbath.[37]

The Sabbath, the Christian Sabbath, also known as the Lord's Day in the New Testament, remains as a moral perpetual command- for all men in all generations.

Last edited:
Simon, after our Lord's resurrection, the Sabbath was moved from Saturday to Sunday. Sunday is both the Lord's Day and also the Sabbath day and I find both terms to be acceptable, although i do see your point that using the term "the Sabbath" could be confusing to a Jew.

While I understand why they call the Saturday "Sabbath", I do not understand why Christians should call Sunday "Sabbath". I think it is very clear that the biblical Sabbath for Israel was on Saturday, not on Sunday. Of course, we do not have to keep the old-covenant Sabbath on Saturday like STAs do, but why should we then call the Sunday Sabbath?
The passages that proof that the early Christians did meet on Sunday (Acts 20:7, 1 Corinthians 16:2) do not mention the term as well.
Thank you!

Simon, the main reason why you'll see folks around here using that terminology is because that's how the Puritans and reformers used it.

Simon
"Sabbath" for the Lord's Day

The Sabbath is called the Lord's Day in the Old Testament Scriptures e.g.:

"If you turn back your foot from the Sabbath, from doing your pleasure [fn] on my holy day, and call the Sabbath a delight and the holy day of the LORD honorable; if you honor it, not going your own ways, or seeking your own pleasure, [fn] or talking idly; [fn] (Isaiah 58:13, ESV)

It's just that for the appropriate reason that Jesus rested from the completed work of the New Creation on the first day of the week - just as Triune God rested from the completed work of the Old Creation on the last day of the week - that the Sabbath/Lord's Day changed from the seventh to the first day.

There remaineth therefore a (weekly Sabbath) rest to the New Covenant people of God. For He that is entered into his rest (i.e. Christ), He also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his (Heb 4:9-10).

There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God [did] from his.(KJV)

There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His. (NKJV)

There remains, then, a Sabbath‑rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his.(NIV)

So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his. (ESV)

There remaineth therefore a sabbath rest for the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest hath himself also rested from his works, as God did from his. (ASV)

So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His. (NASV)

Christ entered His rest on that first resurrection day, so we rest with Him on that day each week, until we go to that rest also.

Last edited:
While I understand why they call the Saturday "Sabbath", I do not understand why Christians should call Sunday "Sabbath". I think it is very clear that the biblical Sabbath for Israel was on Saturday, not on Sunday. Of course, we do not have to keep the old-covenant Sabbath on Saturday like STAs do, but why should we then call the Sunday Sabbath?
Thank you!

Simon, the main reason why you'll see folks around here using that terminology is because that's how the Puritans and reformers used it.
No, not the main reason. It is because we actually believe it to be the sabbath.

As I said, you are following the Puritans here. I'm more or less ambivalent as to the terminology.

The reformers used the terminology because "sabbath" is the fourth commandment, and that is the moral perpetual commandment that is binding on all men in all generations.

It is called the Christian sabbath particularly in honor of the Lord's resurrection, and so Westminster XXI summarizes the doctrine of Scripture to say that.

The reformers used the terminology because "sabbath" is the fourth commandment, and that is the moral perpetual commandment that is binding on all men in all generations.

It is called the Christian sabbath particularly in honor of the Lord's resurrection, and so Westminster XXI summarizes the doctrine of Scripture to say that.

Granted, there's scriptural evidence for the use and I have no problems with this proper use as such. What I do have a problem with is the use of the term as a shibboleth, that is to say using it to connote "I belong to X group within the Christian tradition." That is to say, I have no problem with calling the Lord's Day "Sabbath," but I do have a problem with using the term "Sabbath" to imply, "I observe the Lord's Day in the proper confessional puritan way." That's why I avoid using "sabbath" and instead use "Lord's Day" or even just "Sunday."

I'm not accusing anyone here of doing this, I'm just saying that terminology can become this (take the history, in our circles, of the word "theonomy"), where using or not using a certain term becomes as much of a denotation of faction as it is of actual content.

Here's a question: are the terms "Lord's Day" and "Sabbath" interchangeable?

but I do have a problem with using the term "Sabbath" to imply, "I observe the Lord's Day in the proper confessional puritan way." That's why I avoid using "sabbath" and instead use "Lord's Day" or even just "Sunday."

(take the history, in our circles, of the word "theonomy")

Not quite sure what you mean.

The Westminster Standards classify law as:

1) moral-
perpetual commands for all men in all generations
2) ceremonial-
ordinances given Israel prefiguring and then fulfilled in Christ
3) civil-
laws given the unique old testament theocracy of Israel, not strictly binding on us today (though principles contained in them may still apply)

The Standards summarize the sabbath, the fourth commandment, as moral law.

What has been set aside are the ceremonial laws connected with the sabbath (cf. Numbers 28), as well as the man-made rules of the Pharisees (those never came from God).

But the heart of the command, the Christian sabbath is moral law, which was, is, and shall be commanded all God's creatures until the end of the world.

That is to "sabbath" (cease) from the ordinary work and recreation of the other days and to "make holy" the day by setting it aside to prioritize the worship of God, individual, family and corporate, all the day.

I hope that helps.

Here's a question: are the terms "Lord's Day" and "Sabbath" interchangeable?

It's interesting that one interpretation of Matthew 28:1 is "And on the eve of the sabbaths, at the dawn, toward the first of the sabbaths, came Mary the Magdalene, and the other Mary, to see the sepulchre" (YLT)

But I also find it interesting that Luke still refers to Saturday as the "Sabbath" throughout the book of Acts. Sunday is called "the first day of the week" or "the Lord's Day." The Early Church Fathers apparently called it the "eighth day," "the day of resurrection," or "the Lord's Day."

Of course, that doesn't mean they didn't treat the day as a sabbath, but it appears to me they did want to make a distinction between the OT shadow and the NT reality. Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, so they wanted to name the day after Him!

And if the reality is far more glorious, why would we not want to spend it in corporate worship, prayer, rest, fellowship, doing good to our neighbor, etc? It ought to be our delight! Honestly, early on, when I first became a Reformed Baptist, I wanted a list of do's and don'ts for the Lord's Day, and I was personally uptight about it in many ways. But then I realized that, as Jesus said, this day was given for man, not the other way around. I realized that when I contemplate Christ and His Gospel, when I truly ask God to search me and try me and fill me with His Spirit, when I ask God to show me how I might serve and edify the Body, when I am aware that Christ is walking among His lamp-stands in our corporate worship, when I seek to fulfill the law of Christ by bearing the burdens of others, the need for a list basically disappeared. It's a reminder that we serve in the newness of the Spirit, not in the oldness of the letter!

Isaiah 58
13 “ If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight,
The holy day of the LORD honorable,
And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways,
Nor finding your own pleasure,
Nor speaking your own words,
14 Then you shall delight yourself in the LORD;
And I will cause you to ride on the high hills of the earth,
And feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father.
The mouth of the LORD has spoken.”

If this promise was given to Israel, how much more to us on the Lord's Day!

Scott, I'm not disputing that the term is accurately applied to the Lord's Day. I'm simply saying that sometimes I wonder whether it is being used in reformed circles as a term of exclusion.

Take, for instance, the difference between saying "Lord's Supper," "Communion," and "Eucharist." All three are properly applied to the sacrament of the bread and wine, but the term that you prefer may identify you as a member of a particular group.

Similarly, I wonder if "Sabbath" vs. "Lord's Day" vs. Sunday isn't being used this way. I'll go ahead and qualify this and say that I don't think it's nearly as intentional as the former case. Again, please don't mistake me for saying that the terms aren't properly applied---they are, but our choice of which one we use may convey more than we want it to.

Maybe I'm just being too deconstructive on this issue, but I keep seeing little buzzwords like this pop up in discussions ("Civil magistrate" is another good one) where yes, the term denotes something, but it also carries the connotation of "I'm really reformed, can't you see from my terminology?" Again, I'm not accusing anyone, I'm just saying that this is how it often comes across.

The only other thing to note is that all the terms, "sabbath," "Christian sabbath," and "Lord's Day," are used in the Westminster XXI summary of the doctrine of Scripture.

All three are good, biblical (and reformed) terms.

No need to hesitate using them- they are "ours" as believers, as God's people, and describe a command for, and blessing for all God's creatures. :)

Scott, I'm not disputing that the term is accurately applied to the Lord's Day. I'm simply saying that sometimes I wonder whether it is being used in reformed circles as a term of exclusion.

Take, for instance, the difference between saying "Lord's Supper," "Communion," and "Eucharist." All three are properly applied to the sacrament of the bread and wine, but the term that you prefer may identify you as a member of a particular group.

Similarly, I wonder if "Sabbath" vs. "Lord's Day" vs. Sunday isn't being used this way. I'll go ahead and qualify this and say that I don't think it's nearly as intentional as the former case. Again, please don't mistake me for saying that the terms aren't properly applied---they are, but our choice of which one we use may convey more than we want it to.

Maybe I'm just being too deconstructive on this issue, but I keep seeing little buzzwords like this pop up in discussions ("Civil magistrate" is another good one) where yes, the term denotes something, but it also carries the connotation of "I'm really reformed, can't you see from my terminology?" Again, I'm not accusing anyone, I'm just saying that this is how it often comes across.

One doesn't want to multiply artifical distinctions, or cause unnecessary division between the brethren, but sometimes those Christians who are unwilling to use the term "Sabbath" are those who are unwilling to accept that the ceasing for rest and worship on the Lord's Day/Sunday is a ceasing for the whole day.

They maybe believe that the Lord's Day is celebrated by a few hours of worship once or twice on the First Day of the Week. Or they may believe that the Lord's Day is celebrated by a few hours of worship plus refraining from their weekly labour, while the rest of the First/Eighth Day can be used for entertainments.

The (at least occasional) use of the word "Sabbath" or the words "Christian Sabbath" may indicate that we are not dispensational in this regard, so that is why some Reformed people will like to use the term.

It is a different Sabbath to the Old Covenant Sabbath, but not in respect to the fact that it is a Sabbath, our New Covenant Sabbath, and that it lasts all day.

Sunday does not mean Sabbath. The Lords Day is the Sabbath but it does not mean Sabbath. The Sabbath has a definitive precise meaning. It is a day of rest from......

The older I get the more sense it makes to use the term. It might seem old fashioned but what is wrong with getting back to where we ought to be. I admit it. I have been dumbed down and need to get back to where I should be.

"This unscriptural and unspiritual title for the Lord's day is doing more to destroy it than we can know. Besides putting a discount upon the holiness of the day, hanging a heathen sign upon a Christian institution, it debauches the public mind with reference to all for which the Sabbath stands. It is not surprising that so many preachers, teachers, and other Christian workers who in the pulpit, in the Sabbath School, in conventions and assemblies, and in the public print, are continually speaking of 'Sunday,' should be found on closer acquaintance to hold loose views as to the sanctity of the Sabbath, and to show a corresponding loose practice in its observance. The two things are related. If God has a name by which he means the Sabbath to be known, and we are fully aware of His will, we can no more habitually nickname the Sabbath and think of it in those terms without deadening the finer sensibilities of the soul, than we can decorate our parents or dearest friends with opprobious titles and not suffer for it within ourselves. For while God may forgive the dishonor, and men may pity our mistake, and we ourselves may have done it sincerely, nothing will save us from the natural results of a broken law."

Nicknaming the Sabbath-A Protest Against Using Other Than the Scriptural Names for the Lord's Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back