Using 2 Bibles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiu

Puritan Board Junior
For those who use two bibles how do you use them? I mean, for example, if you have an ESV (can be the Study Bible or not) and a KJV, which do you use for daily reading and which do you use for church on the Lord's Day. Or do you mainly just use one multipurpose, for everything, while the other is used randomly, or when comparing texts?

I use a Thompson Chain KJV but sometimes when listening to a sermon, or studying, I check out some of the verses with Young's literal translation.
It helps show where God placed the emphasis.

I have several Bibles and various translations. I have a few in boxes that are not being used at this time. However, I have five in my desk drawer, three of them I use regularly. For my personal daily study, I use my KJV Thompson Chain. On Sunday morning, I preach from my Allen Longprimer KJV. It has larger print but is not as bulky as my study Bible. On Sunday evening, someone else preaches so I take my Allen Ruby KJV, which is a compact Bible. The other two Bibles in my drawer are a NKJV Thompson Chain, and an ESV Study Bible. I usually only use these two when comparing translations, or to look at the study notes in the ESV.

Last edited:
I usually use NIV for family and corporate worship and when I am in Bible studies, but am starting to use the ESV.

For personal study, memorization and meditation, I still often use KJV. Somehow, that version often says it best. I can still remember passages I memorized in KJV as a child.

I use multiple translations for reference, but I would recommend making a decision on one that you will use for memorizing verses and daily reading. I have, in the past, often found myself quoting Bible verses in discussion with people and I would mix translations (not on purpose). This can be confusing and is not good for memorization. So I think you should pick a main one for memorizing and daily reading. The other(s) can be for reference.

The first thing I do when studying a chapter is to read it three times, each in a different translation. I use KJV, NASB and ESV. I used to use a different traslation each year for my read the bible in a year daily plan. But, I just like reading the ESV so much it's become my exclusive choice for that. I hope someone comes out with an ESV chronological bible because they work really well with a yearly plan.

I usually use NIV for family and corporate worship and when I am in Bible studies, but am starting to use the ESV.

For personal study, memorization and meditation, I still often use KJV. Somehow, that version often says it best. I can still remember passages I memorized in KJV as a child.

Well, that's very similar to me. NIV for family devotions (since we have kids) and when teaching children. ESV for most personal reading and study. Occasionally the KJV when I'm feeling nostalgic for phrasing I remember from childhood.

As a family we use the AV but I do peek at the different literal translations offered online.

I have many bibles, in all the translations, but use my NKJV Reformation Study Bible for research, mark-up, preaching, and carrying along wherever I may be going and feel the need to have my Bible handy.

I also use a 1599 Geneva Study Bible and a Thompson NKJV (the only Thompson with all chains completed) to supplement my studies. For personal and devotional study I use a Zondervan KJV Study Bible, the Scrivener's paragraph translation. This version relies upon updated notes from the NIV Study Bible. Too bad it is only available in a bonded leather binding. One day I will send it off to be rebound in some luxurious leather and pass it along to my son when the day comes.

I occasionally refer to my ESV and NASB translations and study bible versions, too.

For my NKJV Reformation Study Bible, I extracted, by careful use of a dissecting surgical blade, the Open Bible's Cyclopedic Index, the various Confessions contained in the back of Pratt's Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible, and the topical index from MacArthur's Study Bible. I have these items taped into my NKJV Reformation Study Bible. Too bad no one offers an option to create electronically, by mixing and matching the features of others Bibles, a personalized Study Bible.

AMR

I was saved reading the Living Bible which is a paraphrase. I use the KJV the most for reference. I have an old acquaintance that did a few translations from his knowledge. One is the Modern KJV and the Literal Translation of the Bible. Both can be downloaded from E-Sword. I am not a critical text proponent. I am reading the Geneva right now. I think it is good to get a handle on all the translations. I think a study on translation concerning Formal and Dynamic equivalence translations is a good place to start. The understanding behind these two understandings leads one to either hold to a plenary or non plenary understanding of the word of God. Did God inspire breath the original, or did he not? Did he want us to understand conceptually or just plainly? Are the Bible's words God breathed or are the thoughts just conceptualized that he wanted us to understand?

Ever see John Gerstner teach when he was around? There are some great Sunday School video materials available that'll show what I'm talking about. He used to have like a swiss army bible. It was a couple bibles strapped together some sort of way along with a copy of the Hebrew OT and Greek NT all it one!

I primarily use the NASB in church and in personal study. But I also use the KJV especially when trying to determine whether the word "you" as it appears in modern English versions is singular (thou/thee) or plural (ye/you). Sometimes, I also read from the NKJV and the ESV.

I am a King James Bible "Cat", so that is my primary, my Church and my wife both use the ESV, thusly I both read and am becoming familiar with the ESV for the sake of my Wife and my Church Family. PAX.:book2:

I have several in use:

1) At the table I read the HCSB during my breakfast quiet time. I got this for a buck and don't get too upset if a stray drop of coffee lands on the page.
2) At work I have a 1599 Geneva to read during my idle time between routes.
3) For carry about I have a Key Word NIV (first generation). I mark this up with notes a bit.
4) On computer I have dozens.
5) I have some parallel 4 and Eng/Greek interlinear Bibles in my book case for reading when digesting tough passages.

When you have kids in Christian school, you tend to use whatever version the school uses at home for bible memory of course, and bible homework, but even for family devotions. It's just easier. That used to be NIV but now it is ESV in the current situation. Same for church- we take whatever the pastor or Sunday school teacher uses ( that was ESV, but now going to a church where the pastor reads from NASB...my favorite).

I can use the new ESV study bible now for my personal devotions, but I couldn't a year ago, I was too distracted reading all the notes. I find that I do better not using a study bible when I want to just read. But for an actual small group bible study, I take a study bible.

We are so blessed.....think of all the people overseas without even one bible!

I used to only use a NKJV bible..specifically the John MacArthur NKJV Study bible, but now I've been only using the KJV, and as soon as I get my Geneva Bible 1599 I will probably use that either a little more or just as equally as my KJV.

I have several bibles. I received a KJV Bible from friends when I became a Protestant in 2006. I like to read that often because of its beautiful and almost poetic verse. I also use the Authorized Version. Both bibles I believe are excellent as the scriptural source of authority that we Protestants look too. I have a Jerusalem Bible. I also have a Roman catholic bible being a former Roman catholic.

I have several bible versions. My church uses the ESV and at seminary the ESV is highly regarded. At home for personal devotions I currently use the NIV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back