Using Aquinas as a Primary Resource

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMK

Administrator
Staff member
No libraries within 30 miles of my home carry Aquinas in hardback. Is there a good 'citable' place online where I can research his Summa?

For the first:

For the second:
Both of these are great, Ruben. Thank you.

If you're looking for the best option for just searching Aquinas online, the best I've found is here. It's by the same people presently publishing all of his works in Hardbound Latin-English Edition.

For the first:

For the second:

These are very helpful. Thanks, Ruben.

Read an interesting thread by Fred Sanders on Twitter demonstrating that both Thomas Aquinas (died in 1274) and Dante Aligieri (died in 1321) knew the earth is round and presupposed it in their writings. The idea that the medievals thought the earth is flat is a myth.

Read an interesting thread by Fred Sanders on Twitter demonstrating that both Thomas Aquinas (died in 1274) and Dante Aligieri (died in 1321) knew the earth is round and presupposed it in their writings. The idea that the medievals thought the earth is flat is a myth.
Yup. The question was as regards its size.

Dante literally had this hero climb through the middle of the earth to end up on the other side.

Never do page numbers on Aquinas, as different volumes will have different pagination. Follow a similar format to how you would cite Calvin. The only time you might cite page numbers is from one of thomas's commentaries. Another is when you are working with an individual volume like Being and Essence.

Great. The next time that I am (falsely) accused of being a flat-earther, I will reply, "Sorry, I am actually a Thomist." :cool:

Actually it's not. Historically the Aristotelians knew the earth was round, and Aquinas was a key player in the recovery of Aristotle. But Aristotle was not big with the church fathers and medieval Christians prior to Aquinas, and many did think the earth was flat, or at least might be flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back