Various Views of Proverbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unoriginalname

Puritan Board Junior
I guess this is a spin off question from a spin off forum. While reading what a couple people debate what it means to discipline a child, I was wondering if there are multiple schools of thought on how we are to read the proverbs. Is there something akin to how with revelation there is preterism, futurism, historism and idealism? Is there a reformed view of the proverbs?

Proverbs is far from a random list of individual sayings, nor is it simply a book of practical advice. To understand the book of Proverbs, we must first observe the overall structure. Admittedly this structure is not easy to see, especially if we read proverbs with a hunt-and-find method-delving into the book as if it were a list of unconnected sayings, looking for those proverbs that are most relevant to our lives. We need to sit down and read the whole book from beginning to end without interruption. But when we do, we will see the difference between Proverbs 1-9 and 10-31. From How To Read Proverbs by Tremper Longman III. (No page number from an ebook.)

I followed his advice I used to read one Proverb a day but now read it in one setting. But thats how I read all books of the Bible, instead of chopping them up.

Downloaded! And not to sound ungrateful, I was more curious if there was a debate on what is the proper view or reading of proverbs, not what is the proper view. If that makes sense. If there is not a debate I guess I got my answer, thanks for the book :up:

I was more curious if there was a debate on what is the proper view or reading of proverbs, not what is the proper view.

I don't know that there are well-defined camps of differing interpretation. But certainly I have seen comments that are very hesitant of taking three verses of Proverbs as forming a sub unit, whereas others appear to think there is more structure than might be implied by "Sundry Proverbs".

It's not something I've studied extensively, but I think there is some debate. I have heard from at least one reformed pastor that they teach general principles rather than law, which, I think, is a controversial position.

Wisdom not law.

It's not something I've studied extensively, but I think there is some debate. I have heard from at least one reformed pastor that they teach general principles rather than law, which, I think, is a controversial position.

We ought to be careful not to make too big a distinction between wisdom and law, or "general principles" and law. Part of God's law is that we apply ourselves to wisdom and judiciously follow general principles. But that said, I believe strongly that we cannot see most of the Proverbs as absolute commands for black and white situations. They only work as a whole if they are general truisms to be applied in the gray areas of life, with an eye to the particular situation.

I don't know if there's major controversy over this, but I do know some people have disagreed with me and suggested it must mean I think God's Word only needs to be obeyed if we feel like it. Far from it. It means I believe God's Word is far MORE central to my life, applying not only in the black and white situations but also in the gray areas that call for judgment and careful consideration of the circumstances before following a particular proverb. The Proverbs are very useful in such cases, and God requires that I apply them.

Oh... and I think the OP is right that the discipline discussion is fundamentally about how we read the Proverbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back