Vegetarians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Bushey

Puritanboard Commissioner
There was a thread recently posted in regards to vegetarianism or vegetarians etc. which got me to thinking: I perused the archives and TimV stated in a old thread:

"But we are allowed to inflict death on certain animals, even though it causes them pain. We are instructed by Scripture to do it as mercifully as possible. These are two separate truths that aren't contradictory. The wise man regards the life of his beast (even when he slaughters it) but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel. Cruel meaning inflicting needless pain."

In this vein, being merciless with Gods creatures would be considered sin-no? For instance, beating a dog that's chained up to death with a bat?

After much research, apparently, much of the animal food we believers partake of could fall into this category. I could provide many links showing the cruel and inhumane treatment animals suffer for the sake of our dinner plates....

Comments?

It's part of the reason that we like to raise and butcher our own. It means that we know what goes into it (actual food, not growth-hormone-laced commercial feed) and we treat them properly. We're not tree huggers by any stretch, but if stewardship extends to money today, I think it practically applies to animals as well.

(Good to see you again, Scott.)

Does anyone know of any nationally distributed brands of beef or chicken that are raised/slaughtered in an appropriate manner?

An animal has no soul and though it reflects God's glory, as does all creation, it is not made in the image of God.

Beating an animal to death is wrong because of the damage it does to the image of God within the one doing the beating. You are not showing the mercy and gentleness or God's Spirit in a sadistic killing.

Buying meat that may have been killed without gentleness is similar to paying taxes that kill babies. You can't follow every dollar, you can't assure that every animal was killed humanely. We can, however, educate and persuade those who do the killing to be mindful of how they rob themselves of their own 'humaness' when they don't show mercy to an animal.

You can tell a lot about a man's character by how he treats his beasts. You can tell a lot about society in how it treats beasts. Our society is tainted at every level by sin just as the individual is corrupted in every cell. God's quicken changes the individuals and the persuasive preaching of God's Word can turn back societal sin.

So it comes down to a matter of conscience. Put your money into industry that takes into account the careful treatment of animals and expose the industries that do not.

SCOTT!!! Great to see you, brother!

RE: the OP. There are some slaughter houses that 'abuse' the animals. But, most don't. That doesn't mean that we would 'like' what happens there. I grew up slaughtering our own animals. Even in the most humane manner it is very messy and most folks today would call it abuse. I don't think many people have a clue how messy and smelling OT worship was.

This is way :offtopic: but, SCOTT! It's been awhile man! I had just joined the last time you posted.

Good to see you.

Grace and Peace,

Don.

Does anyone know of any nationally distributed brands of beef or chicken that are raised/slaughtered in an appropriate manner?

I think if you only buy kosher then it is supposed to be slaughtered by Jewish standards only, which are humane etc. Here is a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher"]wiki article[/ame]about it. It says the animal must not feel pain when slaughtered.

Good to see you Scott!

HOw about pulling the wings off a fly? Must we kill an insect in the most "humane" way?

If you did that, it wouldn't be a fly anymore. It would be a walk.

Theognome

Theognome: :rofl:

Pergamum: I personally wouldn't pull the wings off a fly. I hate to see things suffer. If I have to kill a bug in my house, I want to do it quickly and without lingering pain. I hate torture of any living thing. :(

There was a thread recently posted in regards to vegetarianism or vegetarians etc. which got me to thinking: I perused the archives and TimV stated in a old thread:

"But we are allowed to inflict death on certain animals, even though it causes them pain. We are instructed by Scripture to do it as mercifully as possible. These are two separate truths that aren't contradictory. The wise man regards the life of his beast (even when he slaughters it) but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel. Cruel meaning inflicting needless pain."

In this vein, being merciless with Gods creatures would be considered sin-no? For instance, beating a dog that's chained up to death with a bat?

After much research, apparently, much of the animal food we believers partake of could fall into this category. I could provide many links showing the cruel and inhumane treatment animals suffer for the sake of our dinner plates....

Comments?

I think the meat sacrificed to idols passage would apply to this. We can buy from the shambles/grocery store, not knowing the exact origination of what we buy, without sinning. If your conscience will not allow you to do that then you shouldn't.

No they don't have souls, but a person who doesn't mind being cruel to animals shows the state of their soul! Often times people who get their jollies out of being cruel to animals get bored with that and move on to being cruel to humans...Jeffery Dahmer comes to mind.

I say string them up!!!

No they don't have souls, but a person who doesn't mind being cruel to animals shows the state of their soul! Often times people who get their jollies out of being cruel to animals get bored with that and move on to being cruel to humans...Jeffery Dahmer comes to mind.

I say string them up!!!

I don't know about stringin' 'em up, but what you say is true. People who are habitually cruel to animals betray a sadistic spirit that is most unChristlike in my opinion.

A good friend of mine who is a pastor once preached this, " A Christian should strive to be gentle. A Christian should even be as gentle as possible to a fly when he kills it."

I always think of Proverbs 12:10 in this situation. "A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal, but even the compassion of the wicked is cruel." I know it doesn't exactly apply to flies and animals raised for food, but I want my compassion to be so deep that it extends to animals and bugs rather than being like the wicked whose "compassion" is even cruel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back