Very very open Prison in Norway

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the Bible, murderers should be executed if there is the right level and quality of evidence.

Otherwise dangerous offenders that have to be incarcerated or isolated should do productive work to compensate their victims, or, in the case of "victimless crimes", society in general.

Norway seems to be heavily influenced by liberal and secular humanistic values.

How much is it believed in Norway that the individual is responsible for his crimes or his environment is responsible?

The more that it is believed that the environment is responsible, the less emphasis will be put on retribution, restitution and reparation, and the more rehabilitation will take precedence in penology. Deterrence doesn't appear to be a major consideration in this type of punishment.

Last edited:
If I ever plan on killing someone now I know where I am going to do it. But in all seriousness I wonder if this is just where the common western view that punishments should be rehabilitating leads.

Norway doesn't seem to understand much about justice. I can't watch the video you posted, but I read an article earlier today on the BBC about the man who murdered 77 individuals last July,

"Anders Behring Breivik, 33, admits the 69 killings on Utoeya, as well as eight in a bomb attack in Oslo earlier on 22 July 2011."

So what will happen to him??

"If Breivik is found guilty and the court decides he is criminally insane, the 33-year-old Norwegian will be committed to psychiatric care; if he is judged to be mentally stable, he will be jailed.

If found guilty and mentally stable for murdering 77 people in cold blood, the worst punsihment he can face is prison ( and I don't even think it's life in prison). Absolutely shameful.

My understanding after watching this is not that this is were a murderer of 77 people would go. It is instead meant for those who have shown good behavior within the conventional prisons, and if you step out of line once then you go back to the bar and concrete prison. No were in that clip or article did it say at all that this is were murderers would be sent.

He'd get 21-28 years maximum if judged sane. The thing is he's been judged sane and therefore allowed to go to trial. If he was judged not sane he'd be there possibly for a awhile long in a mental institution.

I hope that there are big changes in Norway because of this.

The prisons in Norway are more like celebrity rehab institutions with women 'guards' as to lighten the mood.

All I can say is wow....how many poverty stricken people would love to live in a place like this. They have a laptop, but no internet...that's a punishment....absolutely no reverence to God at all

Restitution should still be applied, or justice is not served. Restoration is not a bad thing, in my opinion.

Blessings!

How do I get interred?

I need a vacation.

The evangelists here just asked me for my old card-board boxes again (to sleep on as mats because they have no beds or mats).....

It is easy to find fault with Norway’s penal system and fail to see the woeful inadequacies in UK and US systems. It would not be too difficult to find examples of inconsistencies within our own systems.

Yet our governments would love to have Norway’s crime rate and Norway’s re-offending rate of 16%.

Here is a chilling thought. There is probably more crime committed within the US penal system than Norway as a whole.

I certainly prefer a more liberal system found in the UK and the US and Canada than the alternative where there is no due process of law and no presumption of innocence as found in many Islamic and Asian countries (Thailand for example).

Rehablitation - if retribution, restitution, reparation and deterrence are given priority - is not a wrong aim to have in penology for some criminals.

But if rehabilitation is placed too high on the desiderata of penology, it can lead to injustice and lack of deterrence.

One thing that I suspect exists there, is an enormous peer pressure to "act right". If someone, working in a group, acts up, it would draw unwanted attention to the group. That would put them in danger of being shipped out of the country club and back to the slammer. One benefit that I see, in this system, is that they are not going to be released as people who are doomed to fail again. This prison society has more structure that they need to understand citizenship. If they had this amount of structure from childhood on up, many of them would have never been arrested,because the low life they were living (at the time of arrest & conviction) wouldn't have been familiar to them. Yes restitution should be made. However, I do see this as a useful tool to re-introduce prisoners who have paid their debt, as prescribed by the court, to a society in a less dysfunctional lifestyle than many who merely get sprung from a cell after 30 years of lock up. We all know that only Christ makes a new man. However, being taught to respect your fellow man as a citizen isn't a bad thing. I don't see how this would profit a hardcore murderer or serial rapist. They need to be removed from society.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back