VIDEO - 1647 Westminster Confession of Faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
[video=vimeo;29815066]http://www.vimeo.com/29815066[/video]

Tell your friends at church, your pastors, your seminary teachers, your seminary bookstores, your neighbors, yes - tell everyone.

I having a hard time envisioning what this will look like. Can you post a scan of one of the pages? Is it basically the Free Presbyterian Edition of the Standards with notes from the Geneva at the bottom where they place the full Scripture text? Help out a brother here...

No, it has absolutely nothing to do with the other Free Pres version (which I own).

And keep in mind, it is also in a very nice eBook version in both ePub and .mobi. formatted for electronic use.

More info will be posted with a preview of the book once we get a little closer to the launch date.

I'll have to check that out.

Why is it when you think of somebody that is reformed, you picture a guy sitting in a study smoking a pipe, reading a book and listening to classical music. Watching this video reminded me of that because of the music.

No, it has absolutely nothing to do with the other Free Pres version (which I own).

And keep in mind, it is also in a very nice eBook version in both ePub and .mobi. formatted for electronic use.

More info will be posted with a preview of the book once we get a little closer to the launch date.

Does anyone understand what this book will be?

The Free Pres version of the WCF is hard to come by (in and out of production) in small print, not an eBook, and the internet versions of the Confession are either filled with typos and changes or a modernized version.

This book is the 1647 Confession with proofs and texts from the Geneva Bible, with all subordinate documents included.

It is not a book ABOUT the confession. IT IS THE CONFESSION as it was in 1647.

It will come in hardback form, and it will come in eBook form.

For now, does that help explain?

I want it!
Where is the per-order link?
Any more descriptions?

No pre-orders.

The eBook version will be a deal and a half. It will be better than a pre-order.

And don't worry, unlike the Free Pres version with the KJV, this one is not going to be out of stock. We won't run out.
Will it get WLC 105 correct, or has the Free Pres version corrected that yet?

What about thier version is incorrect?

Joshua,

Yes, its a typo.

It will be corrected in the new version I have.

In the 1789 and 1792 editions the word "lawful" was changed to "unlawful" and then carried through.

Makes sense now. Thanks.

Why did you choose the Geneva Bible as the footnotes and proofs? Was that strictly a marketing idea (which is fine) or is there a theological/historical purpose?

The Geneva Bible was the Bible of the Puritans. Like we have the ESV Bible today, the Puritans had a Geneva Bible in every house.

Even the KJV was 80% copied from the Geneva Bible.

It was the Puritan's Bible. In most of the sermon's and books I'm dealing with right now they are quoting most from the Geneva.

Stop asking so many questions! Dr. McMahon is wearing a funny hat and a gown. Just buy the book!

Matthew, I'm not sure what editions of the larger catechism (or standards) these dates refer to; do you mean FPP editions of 1989 and 1992?.
My note shows the error was first intro'd in the Blair and Bruce edition of 1831 and this was not corrected until the Mair text. In the FPP edition of the full standards the WLC is still I believe simply a reprint of the 1855 Johnstone and Hunter editions which retained the error. The FPP printing of just the LC has the correct text (forget the date).
In the 1789 and 1792 editions the word "lawful" was changed to "unlawful" and then carried through.

The Geneva Bible was the Bible of the Puritans.

Altering the translation in the Scripture proofs of the Confession will certainly leave that false impression with the reader.

The faithful translation of the Bible was the Bible of the Puritans. As the preface to Matthew Poole's commentary indicates, the Puritans regarded the version under King James as an improvement upon the Geneva Bible.

Maybe at a later time we'll take the original WCF, LC and SC and create a version with the NEW KJV or the ESV?

That may help the modern reader as well.

Chris,

I was referring to Warfield's work, The Printing of the Westminster Confession. He notes on page 76 that unlawful/lawful was in the 1789 amnd 1792 American editions incorrect. It was corrected by one edition after that, then, it seems, the FP edition copied a MSS that had the error.

The Geneva Bible was the Bible of the Puritans.

Altering the translation in the Scripture proofs of the Confession will certainly leave that false impression with the reader.

The faithful translation of the Bible was the Bible of the Puritans. As the preface to Matthew Poole's commentary indicates, the Puritans regarded the version under King James as an improvement upon the Geneva Bible.

Yes I understand that the faithful translation was the translation they would have preferred, just like we do today when we exegete a passage or passages for a book or sermon, etc., we want our translation to be as accurate and faithful as possible. However, I have on my desk an ESV version and a NKJ version. I also have the Geneva Bible simply because I like the way it reads in a number of places better than other versions.

On the Puritan's desk, or coffee table of the day, the everyday household of the Puritan Family, they had the Geneva Bible.

(Plus, I always disliked the idea that the KJV took out the notes of the Geneva Bible, and keep in mind that after the King James Version was published in 1611, the Geneva Bible was banned in England. OUCH! At least King James tried to make that happen.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back