Video interview with Dr Daniel Hill (philosopher) on whether God intends that sin occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulster Fry

Puritan Board Freshman
I thought some of you might be interested in this video. Dr Daniel Hill is a Reformed and evangelical philosopher at the University of Liverpool, here defending the thesis that God intends that sin occur to bring about some greater good. Of course he emphatically argues that God himself cannot sin, and makes this clear throughout. The first half of the video deals with the philosophical issues surrounding the topic, while the latter gets into the relevant biblical texts.

I found it to be quite compelling, particularly when they look at Romans 9 later in the video. One interesting point to note, which they bring up, is that Turretin sided with Aquinas in this debate over Calvin. Personally, at least in terms of the philosophical arguments, I find myself agreeing with Hill's more Calvinist interpretation, similar as to how I find myself siding with Helm in his debate with Muller.

Either way it's interesting that the Reformed tent is broader than some allow for, with softer (Turretin) or harder (Edwards) notions of divine sovereignty.

I thought some of you might be interested in this video. Dr Daniel Hill is a Reformed and evangelical philosopher at the University of Liverpool, here defending the thesis that God intends that sin occur to bring about some greater good. Of course he emphatically argues that God himself cannot sin, and makes this clear throughout. The first half of the video deals with the philosophical issues surrounding the topic, while the latter gets into the relevant biblical texts.

I found it to be quite compelling, particularly when they look at Romans 9 later in the video. One interesting point to note, which they bring up, is that Turretin sided with Aquinas in this debate over Calvin. Personally, at least in terms of the philosophical arguments, I find myself agreeing with Hill's more Calvinist interpretation, similar as to how I find myself siding with Helm in his debate with Muller.

Either way it's interesting that the Reformed tent is broader than some allow for, with softer (Turretin) or harder (Edwards) notions of divine sovereignty.

I did not realize Daniel Hill was a professional philosopher. Thank you for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back