Video on doctrine of divine simplicity

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
This video interview with the author is excellent background to pair with and interest folks in this important short work by Gisbertus Voetius on the divine simplicity that appears in the current (2019, vol. 15) issue of The Confessional Presbyterian journal. Well worth the purchase price given all the other great content in the issue. Links are given at the site or go to https://www.cpjournal.com/product/the-confessional-presbyterian-15-2019-gisbertus-voetius/ for US and Canada ordering. Internationally the issue can be ordered from James Dickson Books in Scotland. https://jamesdicksonbooks.com/shop/new-books/the-confessional-presbyterian-journal-volume-15/

This video interview with the author is excellent background to pair with and interest folks in this important short work by Gisbertus Voetius on the divine simplicity that appears in the current (2019, vol. 15) issue of The Confessional Presbyterian journal. Well worth the purchase price given all the other great content in the issue. Links are given at the site or go to https://www.cpjournal.com/product/the-confessional-presbyterian-15-2019-gisbertus-voetius/ for US and Canada ordering. Internationally the issue can be ordered from James Dickson Books in Scotland. https://jamesdicksonbooks.com/shop/new-books/the-confessional-presbyterian-journal-volume-15/

Is that the one with Ryan Hurd? Ryan could singlehandedly make shock waves through Reformed and Evangelicalism by simply (sorry, bad pun) translating Voetius's works and making them financially accessible (e.g., no Brill publishing).

Is that the one with Ryan Hurd? Ryan could singlehandedly make shock waves through Reformed and Evangelicalism by simply (sorry, bad pun) translating Voetius's works and making them financially accessible (e.g., no Brill publishing).
Actually, and your turn to pardon the reference, it "takes a village" to get translation work done; good translation work I mean. The journal now has a dedicated editor for the translation pieces and peer review in place requiring two Ph.d. level readers. I know Ryan had at least two folks reading for him, so that is at least five people involved, and then add my assist in running down a good portion of the often not very easy to find references. Aside from gratuities for the peer reviews, it is all gratis labor. So unless and until Ryan is independently wealthy, you can see why Brill et al. are the main ones doing this type of thing instead of individuals.

Actually, and your turn to pardon the reference, it "takes a village" to get translation work done; good translation work I mean. The journal now has a dedicated editor for the translation pieces and peer review in place requiring two Ph.d. level readers. I know Ryan had at least two folks reading for him, so that is at least five people involved, and then add my assist in running down a good portion of the often not very easy to find references. Aside from gratuities for the peer reviews, it is all gratis labor. So unless and until Ryan is independently wealthy, you can see why Brill et al. are the main ones doing this type of thing instead of individuals.

I see. Next year in Jerusalem (to switch another reference).

Just listened to the talk. I'll say this about Ryan. He is one of those few people who "won me over." I used to think his emphasis on the medievals and divine simplicity was overdoing it, but as I worked through Thomas on one hand, and saw the disastrous effects of rejecting classical theology on the other hand, as well as my own interest in Latin, I realized Ryan was right.

And the way he learned Latin is a neat story. After taking a Latin class, he spent one summer in a baseball field reading Thomas Aquinas in Latin for hours a day.

There have been ongoing discussions about translating Voetius. An able Latinist is wanting to take it on. The issue right now is time as they are in the midst of a demanding project. The last I heard was that they pitched translating him in between the volumes they are currently translating.

My apologies that I can't share more. Hopefully, it is enough information to encourage those of us that long to see Voetius in English.

I don't see it happening in a systematic way. It's too huge. Maybe just the Selectarum disputationum by volume (still huge; decade or more maybe to do 5 volumes?) or the Politicæ ecclesiasticæ by volume (a little, just a little bit shorter set of volumes). Not unless one or more devote a good portion of their lives and livelihoods to it. I think we need to be happy if we can get some discreet bits done for now out of the disputations that have stand alone theses like the piece on divine simplicity. All the conservative Reformed "go to" Latinists are all busy per your observation and I've tried twice for a project I have in mind to twist arms to no avail. I'm looking beyond them in a last ditch to see if I can get something going for NPSE this year and or next before giving up for the short term with the one idea I have. Someone needs to convince Brill to take up Voetius. They should be finishing the Synopsis Purioris Theologiae with the final volume 3 this month. In fact, probably should check with them to make sure they don't have any Voetius projects in view. Or probably the smart people have already done this.
There have been ongoing discussions about translating Voetius. An able Latinist is wanting to take it on. The issue right now is time as they are in the midst of a demanding project. The last I heard was that they pitched translating him in between the volumes they are currently translating.

My apologies that I can't share more. Hopefully, it is enough information to encourage those of us that long to see Voetius in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back