Vin Scully

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Listening to Scully call a Dodgers game the other day, he sounded exactly as he did when I first started listening to him in the 1960s. He may be 78, but his voice hasn't changed a bit.

Team members come and go, but Vin Scully is forever!

UPDATE: Actually, Scully is 79; he'll be 80 on November 29th. His current contract with the Dodgers (running from 2002-2008) pays him $3,000,000 per year. Nice work if you can get it!

Last edited:
Scully is one of the games best. He tells tremendous stories during the game. As a Met fan I grew up on Lindsey Nelson, Ralph Kiner and Bob Murphy. "Murph" was the voice of the Mets from 1962-2004. I remember sitting on the beach in Jersey listening to Murph call Met games with his Oklahoma lilt. Most present day announcers lack the artistry that goes with brining a game to life on the radio.

Scully is one of the games best. He tells tremendous stories during the game. As a Met fan I grew up on Lindsey Nelson, Ralph Kiner and Bob Murphy. "Murph" was the voice of the Mets from 1962-2004. I remember sitting on the beach in Jersey listening to Murph call Met games with his Oklahoma lilt. Most present day announcers lack the artistry that goes with brining a game to life on the radio.

I'm a bit biased in that I grew up in the Seattle area and consequently love Dave Niehaus (Mariners) and Bob Blackburn (Sonics) and think they are and were two of the best... but I agree Vin Scully and Jack Buck are neck and neck for top awards in sportscasting prowess (in my book).

Even though a Padres' fan, Scully is the best announcer on radio of any sport. in my opinion, second place goes to the late Chick Hearns though my father would have said "Red Barber".

I'm a bit biased in that I grew up in the Seattle area and consequently love Dave Niehaus (Mariners) and Bob Blackburn (Sonics) and think they are and were two of the best... but I agree Vin Scully and Jack Buck are neck and neck for top awards in sportscasting prowess (in my book).

I hope Scully keeps going through the end of the 2010 season, at least. That would give him 60 consecutive years of calling Dodgers games! And, if he keeps it up through the 2013 season (let's see, he'd be 86!), that would give him 60 consecutive seasons as the Dodgers's lead broadcaster (starting in 1950, he was #2 to Red Barber until Barber left to become a Yankees announcer in 1953).

My dad actually became a dodger fan growing up because of Scully.
He would listen on the radio and he said the dodger games were always more exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back