Vin Scully

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
On Wednesday (7/29), legendary Dodgers announcer Vin Scully announced that he will be retiring at the end of the 2010 season, after 61 consecutive seasons (since 1950) calling Dodgers games. He made the announcement through Los Angeles Times sports columnist Bill Plaschke's regular column.

He says that, at 81, his health is good, and he wants to work one more season after this one, then retire. By the time he finishes the 2010 season (DV), he'll be almost 83 (born on November 29, 1927).

I've been listening to Vinnie since the 1960s. He's simply the best there is.

Vin is one of the best. Of course, I was partial to Bob Murphy and Lindsey Nelson. What I like best about Vin Scully is his stories. When the game is boring he could always keep your attention with a timely story.

I grew up in LA--Vin was my favorite. We had (in my opinion) the best in baseball (Scully) and Basketball (Chick Hearns). Wow! both top of their fields.

Never forget Johnny Most. "Havlicek stole the ball! Havlicek stole the ball!!"

Vin Scully is a living legend for sure, but growing up my favorites were Ken "The Hawk" Harrelson & Tom "Wimpy" Paciorek (Chicago White Sox, WGN-TV, throughout the 1990s). I have yet to see another broadcasting team with such personality and rapport. They knew how to kick back and have fun during the game (a trait which broadcasters for the Toronto Blue Jays -- my team -- have always seemed to lack). And they were obviously and unapologetically on their team's side, characterized by Harrelson's signature yell "You can put it on the board... YES!!!" whenever a White Sox player hit a home run, and their affectionate nicknames for White Sox players. That's not so common these days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back