Virginity More Important for Women than Men?

Status
Not open for further replies.
but don't forget the massive and repeated emphasis that the early chapters of Proverbs place on avoiding the adulteress.

Correct, but the primary reason for these warnings is that a young man will not sin against another man. Same goes for Joseph with Potiphar's wife, who said he will not lay with her because Potiphar is a good master and "because you are his wife," (Gen. 39:9). Absent in both these examples is the notion that a young man has a "virginity" to be guarded.

Sin is always first of all against God.

Yes, but adultery is spoken of, even in the NT, as "defrauding" a brother.

I will say the more I've looked into and studied this, the more I am starting to see that the idea of virginity is a feminine concept overall. In an agricultural sense, the man is like the one who plants and the woman is the fertile ground. The field is either untouched (virgin) or else it has been penetrated by the farmer (non-virgin). We can all understand that. The farmer, on the other hand, is not altered by the process the way the field is.

A man is not a field.

These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb. (Rev. 4:4)

I see this as speaking of a group of men and women (the 144,000) and also referring to spiritual virginity, as opposed to the spiritual harlotry of Rev. 17:1-5. I don't think you can use this verse to make a case for the NT describing men as virgins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back