Visiting a United Methodist Church Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

BibleCyst

Puritan Board Freshman
Good evening, everybody!

Just to clarify the title of this thread - I do not have any plans on leaving my current church (PCA). I love the people, and I love Reformed Theology. So, why on Earth am I visiting a United Methodist Church tomorrow?

I've been dating a United Methodist. There. The cat's out of the bag. She's a genuine Christian, and she loves the Lord very much. She actually grew up in the EPC, and I get the feeling that she's more broadly evangelical then anything else. She's fine with where I go to church, but I cannot move forward with her until I make sure that her church is not apostate. From my initial research, it has all male Pastors. If there was even one female Pastor, I wouldn't even be visiting.

The purpose of posting this thread is: I was wondering if you guys could fill me in on any oddities that might be in a regular Methodist service? I do know that Methodists have a thing for waving flags. Other then that, I'm in the dark.

I'll be sure to post a follow up on Monday with what it was actually like, in case any are curious about what's going on in mainline denominations. I'll be sure to bring my trusted King James in case anybody pulls out a NRSV.

Last edited:
I would assume different churches do things differently. Why not just ask the gf?

I have asked, and from her descriptions, it sounds VERY broadly evangelical. But, I've never been to a UMC church in my life*, so I have no idea what their distinctive traits are.

*Edit: Now that I think about it, I actually did go to one when I was very young. I wasn't paying attention to distinctives or RPW violations then, though. lol

I am confused. Are you looking for things like when to stand up, when to sit down, when to take communion, or are you asking about things theologically?

Unlike the Presbyterians and the Episcopalians, the Methodists didn't really have anywhere to go. So you can probably find a wider range in the UMC than you would in some of the other mainlines. That being said, even the 'good' UMCs have unsound theology. There's also a range of worship styles. Most of the ones that I have visited have been liturgical; expect a shorter sermon that you should have been getting at your church - more of a homily. They can be somewhat legalistic.

Probably no harm from a one-off visit, but you shouldn't make a habit of it.

My wife grew up in the UMC and I'm pretty familiar myself with mainline denominations, having come out of the ABC-USA. There isn't necessarily going to be "a regular Methodist service." In my wife's neck of the woods, Methodist services look like Southern Baptist services, except maybe with a "Holy Spirit" candle.

Richard, I would challenge you to think very hard about the apostasy of the United Methodist Church. The hierarchical/episcopal structure of the UMC means that congregations are required to pay "apportionments" to the denomination. As just one example, these monies fund a Methodist seminary which is now endeavouring to become "the first truly multi-faith American seminary" (link). You can find more information on the activities of the UMC here. Is it possible for a congregation to fund such things without participating in their apostasy?

Even at a congregational level, you're going to encounter serious departures from Biblical teaching. Worship is not conducted accorded to God's Word, with numerous man-made additions. The United Methodist Church is confessionally Arminian and the preaching/teaching will be at least Arminian, if not universalist at times.

As Paul teaches in Romans 1, the embrace of homosexuality in a culture is ultimately a sign of God's judgment; the unbelief/apostasy has already occurred. As we see mainline churches such as the UMC locked in struggles over homosexual ordination, it is evident that they departed from God's truth long ago. The UMC and her constituent congregations are false churches and should be fled by faithful Christians.

I was in a United Methodist Church for most of my life. It is a denomination that is apostate. They give a HUGE amount of money to aid in the fight to keep abortion legal and support gay rights. Many in the denomination are Pantheist, and that includes some Pastors. They are madly in love with the feminist movement, much more so than they love Jesus. Their new hymn book has songs praising mother-god and nature worship. Most of their Pastors don't believe in hell. They are anti-reformed in every way that you can imagine.

My church was a small town church with about 25 elderly people. They put their money in the plate every Sunday and had no idea what that money was going to support. I did try to tell them what their money was supporting before I finally left, they would not believe it, because it is all so CRAZY, they just couldn't believe it.

They adore Brian McLaren and the emergent church.

They had an online free bible study last year that encouraged sex outside of marriage for everyone including Pastors. Yes, you read that right. And all of this is just the tip of the iceberg.

The final straw for me was last year when they began teaching Islam at Claremont Seminary in California. The Methodist Church gives Claremont $800,000 a year. This year they added Buddhism and Hinduism. A Denver, Colorado Methodist Church has a service which combines Christianity with Buddhism into one faith.

Cool, huh?

Is there another Methodist denom besides UMC, because what everyone is describing does not sound like the local Methodists around here. Also when I lived in Georgia, I went to a Methodist church for nearly two years. I chose that church because the pastor was the only guy in town who would bring from the pulpit.

Is there another Methodist denom besides UMC

There is the tiny Southern Methodist Church (the whole denomination claims to be slightly larger than the PCA church where I'm a member.)

Then, of course, there is the AME, AME Zion, CME (they've changed what the C stands for) but I think you'd have been noticeable in any of those 3.

And a little clicking on the internet turned up the Free Methodists.

Thanks Tim:

That song never fails to get the reaction that the guilty parties are intending.

That cover version would work just fine.

There are at least five different Methodist groups that I know of here in the U. S., the UMC being the largest. I was raised and pastored in the UMC. As far as the rural churches go, UMC is just a title and there is little difference compared to other rural churches. In the city there as as much adversity as you may find in the PCA, except you may find a few gay friendly folk. Many of the city churches are more traditional and similar to traditonal Presbyterian churches across the board, some evangelical preaching and some apostate. The UMC is a mixed bunch!

As a current UMC member, you are bound to find anything from liturgical high church to contemporary, depending on which congregation you walk into. Some churches have both kinds of services. The church I attend is a country church and it is conservative. I have never heard of this flag waving?

I'm stunned at some of the broad generalization and wholesale condemnation. I think some are speaking from hear-say and not their own research.

You might even find a CALVINIST in the pulpit this morning preaching in a United Methodist Church.

As a current UMC member, you are bound to find anything from liturgical high church to contemporary, depending on which congregation you walk into. Some churches have both kinds of services. The church I attend is a country church and it is conservative. I have never heard of this flag waving?

What's being referred to is something you may not experience in your own congregation or elsewhere, but the question could be answered in two ways 1) what's at the front of the sanctuary? Have you an American flag (and a "Christian" flag) at the front, in the corners? 2) Does your hymn selection for services near or on July 4 contain The Battle Hymn of the Republic, America, or God Bless America?

In the rural UMC churches I know of, both of these questions would be answered with a resounding "yes". THAT is at least part of the "flag-waving" sentiment that was described.

It's not hearsay. BUT, you can attend a UMC for years and be unaware of the craziness if you are in a church with older members and a more traditional pastor.
If you get to reading some of the official websites (UMC Reconciling Ministries and UMC Board of Church and Society are 2 good ones) and check to see what kinds of causes they are spending UMC money on you will be enlightened. Unhappily so I might add.

The UMC Board of Church and Society had a study on their website about a year ago called "Sex and the Church" that had some of the most pagan writing you can imagine. You would think it had been put on the homepage of the cult of Isis.

I've been dating a United Methodist. There. The cat's out of the bag. She's a genuine Christian, and she loves the Lord very much. She actually grew up in the EPC, and I get the feeling that she's more broadly evangelical then anything else. She's fine with where I go to church, but I cannot move forward with her until I make sure that her church is not apostate.

Then why doesn't she go to church with you?

The Free Methodist Church is what i think of after UMC. They are definitely more conservative.

That brings to mind. This year is the 100th anniversary of the decision of the Free Methodists to ordain women. But 'more conservative' does appear to be accurate in the comparative sense.

1) what's at the front of the sanctuary? Have you an American flag (and a "Christian" flag) at the front, in the corners? 2) Does your hymn selection for services near or on July 4 contain The Battle Hymn of the Republic, America, or God Bless America?

In the rural UMC churches I know of, both of these questions would be answered with a resounding "yes". THAT is at least part of the "flag-waving" sentiment that was described.

This may be true of many UMC churches, but it is also true of LOTS of churches in the rural south, irrespective of denominational affiliation.

1) what's at the front of the sanctuary? Have you an American flag (and a "Christian" flag) at the front, in the corners? 2) Does your hymn selection for services near or on July 4 contain The Battle Hymn of the Republic, America, or God Bless America?

This may be true of many UMC churches, but it is also true of LOTS of churches in the rural south, irrespective of denominational affiliation.

Certainly that's the case.... no denominational distinctions were implied (was just explaining flag waving as a concept). (and it's an abysmal practice regardless of the affiliation)

The UMC guy in my town is vintage "open to all people as an expression of Christian love" kind of person. While the national image is just as odiously mainline as some of the posts have suggested, I have known very strongly evangelical (but not Reformed) UMC pastors, especially in some parts of the south. They are the strongest mainline denomination numerically (almost 8 million), so it would be almost impossible to predict what you will find in your gf's fellowship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back