Visiting a United Methodist Church Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been dating a United Methodist.

Then it's good you decided to visit her church with her. It ought to help you two engage in many important and necessary discussions about faith, no matter how good or bad you found the church to be.

As previous posts have mentioned, there will be many concerns with the vast majority of Methodist congregations in the US. But if you've been a Presbyterian I would think you found the Methodists not too weird style-wise. I wouldn't attend one regularly, but occasionally I visit a Methodist church with my in-laws. When I do, I remind myself that it is, after all, the church of the Wesleys. This means that when the pastor strays from the gospel it isn't me, but rather him, who is out of place.

Good evening, everybody!

Just to clarify the title of this thread - I do not have any plans on leaving my current church (PCA). I love the people, and I love Reformed Theology. So, why on Earth am I visiting a United Methodist Church tomorrow?

I've been dating a United Methodist. There. The cat's out of the bag. She's a genuine Christian, and she loves the Lord very much. She actually grew up in the EPC, and I get the feeling that she's more broadly evangelical then anything else. She's fine with where I go to church, but I cannot move forward with her until I make sure that her church is not apostate. From my initial research, it has all male Pastors. If there was even one female Pastor, I wouldn't even be visiting.

The purpose of posting this thread is: I was wondering if you guys could fill me in on any oddities that might be in a regular Methodist service? I do know that Methodists have a thing for waving flags. Other then that, I'm in the dark.

I'll be sure to post a follow up on Monday with what it was actually like, in case any are curious about what's going on in mainline denominations. I'll be sure to bring my trusted King James in case anybody pulls out a NRSV.

After I left the Roman Catholic church I explored all the major Protestant denominations...I knew I would become aProtestant ....but needed to know the theolgy of each group and how they worshipped. I was Episcapalian for a while , then Lutheran , then Methodist , explored the Baptsits and finally settled in and became a Presbyterian. So I can give yousome idea.

As a fellow Presbyterian you know our theology as Presbyterians is Reformed theology and emphasizes the sovereignty of God, the authority of the Scriptures, and the necessity of grace through faith in Christ. The driving principle in the development of the standards of Presbyterian worship is the Regulative principle of worship, which specifies that (in worship), what is not commanded is forbidden. In the United Methodist church I explored grape juice is used instead of wine and the Methodists belikeve pretty much as we do as Presbyterians that the sacrament is Memorialism. They do say it represents Christ sacrifice on calvary but they do not believe as the Roman catholics do the false teaching that the bread actully becomes Christs body. A typical worship service at a United Methodist church may include a greeting and opening prayer, time for people to greet each other, scripture readings, silent prayer and meditation, an offering, the Lord’s Prayer,( theu do not say Debts and debtors as we Presbyterians do) sometimes there is a children’s message, then the sermon, special music and hymns, and a closing prayer. Communion may also be served. They have an open communion table and I was welcomed to receive communion with them the very first Sunday explored the Methodist churc.All are invited to celebrate communion, but you can choose whether or not you wish to participate.

I attended a UMC while in middle/high school with a friend of mine. I don't remember too much of what was said, mostly because there wasn't much being said. The church's minister was a woman, there was small choir where members often held little American flags for some reason, there was an encouraging children's bit, special music, a sort of homily, and at the end of the service we sang "Let There be Peace on Earth and Let it Begin With Me." Still don't understand that last one, but I distinctly remember attending their youth group multiple times and understanding that the lady who often lead the teaching times had no clue what she was talking about. They were evangelistic but there were multiple openly gay students from my high school who attended there with no repercussion. And, as mentioned before, there were extreme feminist overtones.

Be wise, brother.

It's not hearsay. BUT, you can attend a UMC for years and be unaware of the craziness if you are in a church with older members and a more traditional pastor.
If you get to reading some of the official websites (UMC Reconciling Ministries and UMC Board of Church and Society are 2 good ones) and check to see what kinds of causes they are spending UMC money on you will be enlightened. Unhappily so I might add.

The UMC Board of Church and Society had a study on their website about a year ago called "Sex and the Church" that had some of the most pagan writing you can imagine. You would think it had been put on the homepage of the cult of Isis.

Wow. I just looked up what you were talking about in your posts. Wow. Just an unintentionally funny excerpt:

Jesus opened up so much passionate power that the late first- and early second-century church, as seen in the writings of Paul and Timothy, had to wrap it all up again to shut women up, make sure they sat down and for God’s sake, kept their sensuous hair covered.

What writings of Timothy do we have?

I would strongly urge you to guide your Girlfriend in to the reformed faith and as a presbyterian I would seek to evangelize and convert her to Prebyterainism. i would suggest you have her join an inguirers class at your PCA churc.There are also many good books and articles on "Why I became a Presbyterian" and what be a Presbyterian or Becoming a Presbyterian that I mentioned the other night. They can be found and down loaded on line.

Is there another Methodist denom besides UMC, because what everyone is describing does not sound like the local Methodists around here. Also when I lived in Georgia, I went to a Methodist church for nearly two years. I chose that church because the pastor was the only guy in town who would bring from the pulpit.

I'm with you. I know more evangelical UMCs than I know evangelical Baptists. The ones I know are broadly Wesleyan, but then again, no moreso than the avg Baptist church.
Claremont does not receive apportionments from the denom for use in that program they started, btw, That was squelched last year in an uproar from conservative UMCs. From what I gather, there is a huge movement afoot similar to what happened in the SBC years ago (the 'Conservative Resurgence').

I join with Whitefield in that I'm stunned so many paint with a broad brush.

I have lived in Pittsburgh, PA, Portsmouth, OH, Clarksburg, WV, and now Ellisville, MS in the last 10 years. Every single UMC church in these areas that I was intimately involved with was liberal.

The local UMC Pastor here in Ellisville is pro-Gay Ordination, etc.

Maybe there are "conservative" UMC people out there, I just don't know any.

I was viewing some of the websites mention before which I navigated to this page from: Homophobia and Heterosexism | The General Board of Church and Society I had no idea that the UMC was doing all of this. I knew it was liberal, but was blind to how much. Maybe its time I begin to seriously look into finding somewhere else to attend.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

Introduction

Marriage is, essentially, a question of pastoral care. The church is called by God to support and bless the loving, lifelong commitment of two same-gender people as with any other family and loving commitment. Current United Methodist policy forbids marriages or Holy Unions in United Methodists buildings or by any United Methodist clergy person. Reconciling congregations have found a variety of responses to the question, how will we support and honor the loving commitment of same-gender couples? Congregations might:

* Invite gay and lesbian couples to reaffirm their vows in a church service;
* Hold no marriages in the church and ask the pastor to refrain from conducting marriages;
* Conduct marriages and Holy Unions accepting the risk of charges by the Annual Conference;
* Focus upon legislative and advocacy to change UMC policies
* Advocate for civil marriage and/or civil union equality
* Pass a marriage policy or statement of support for equality.

This list if from the Reconciling Ministries Network page. I had no idea it was this bad.

I was viewing some of the websites mention before which I navigated to this page from: Homophobia and Heterosexism | The General Board of Church and Society I had no idea that the UMC was doing all of this. I knew it was liberal, but was blind to how much. Maybe its time I begin to seriously look into finding somewhere else to attend.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

Introduction

Marriage is, essentially, a question of pastoral care. The church is called by God to support and bless the loving, lifelong commitment of two same-gender people as with any other family and loving commitment. Current United Methodist policy forbids marriages or Holy Unions in United Methodists buildings or by any United Methodist clergy person. Reconciling congregations have found a variety of responses to the question, how will we support and honor the loving commitment of same-gender couples? Congregations might:

* Invite gay and lesbian couples to reaffirm their vows in a church service;
* Hold no marriages in the church and ask the pastor to refrain from conducting marriages;
* Conduct marriages and Holy Unions accepting the risk of charges by the Annual Conference;
* Focus upon legislative and advocacy to change UMC policies
* Advocate for civil marriage and/or civil union equality
* Pass a marriage policy or statement of support for equality.

This list if from the Reconciling Ministries Network page. I had no idea it was this bad.

If you will do your homework, you will find out that The Reconciling Ministries Network is NOT an official organization within the UMC. It is an ultra-liberal caucus which has been repeatedly opposed by the General Conference. In fact, some were arrested at the last General Conference for disruption and trespassing. There is a fundamental battle going on in UMC, and stereotyping by any group is not helpful, especially to the conservative side. The Board on Church and Society is not taken very seriously by the mainstream in the UMC. That Board has been on the extreme left for many decades, and they have continually gone beyond their mandate given by the General Conference. That Board has gone through some radical budgetary cuts due to de-funding of much of what they advocate. At the past couple of General Conferences there has been a growing movement to disband the Board of Church and Society.

The SBC is much larger

The SBC is not considered mainline. That would be Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, and Episcopal.

Or more to the point, the American Baptist Churches USA is the mainline baptist denomination.

Just curious, what % of the SBC is truly mainline? I know the good guys have commandeered the majority of the votes, thankfully, for a good period of time.

Are you asking what percentage of the SBC is liberal in orientation? The term "mainline" is a term of art for the original "seven sisters" that represented "respectable" Protestantism in the early to middle portion of the last century: ABCUSA, Episcopal, Disciples of Christ, Evangelical Lutheran Churches of America, PCUSA, UCC, and United Methodist Church. As Pentecostalism, broad evangelicalism, and the independent church movements grew, the mainlines became more sidelines on a trajectory to become flatlines.

My denom of more than 50 years was the ABCUSA so my knowledge of SBC is largely anecdotal. However, the truly liberal elements of the SBC were strongest in the denominational staff and institutions (prior to the resurgence), and in a few of the congregations located in university towns and urban settings. The truly liberal folks generally joined the Alliance of Baptists (relatively small group) or the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship that formed out of disgruntled SBC churches, now with 1,800 congregations and a $14.5 million annual budget.

The UMC froze Claremonts funding when UMC members complained but then chose after a period of time to send the money.

I just checked the UMC homepage and Claremont is on the list of semanries that are funded.

Last edited:
I'm with you. I know more evangelical UMCs than I know evangelical Baptists. The ones I know are broadly Wesleyan, but then again, no moreso than the avg Baptist church.
Claremont does not receive apportionments from the denom for use in that program they started, btw, That was squelched last year in an uproar from conservative UMCs. From what I gather, there is a huge movement afoot similar to what happened in the SBC years ago (the 'Conservative Resurgence').

I join with Whitefield in that I'm stunned so many paint with a broad brush.

Funding for Claremont was briefly rescinded, but was restored in June of 2010. In a clever move, the school decided to organize its new endeavours so that UMC funds are ostensibly only going to the Christian school of theology. The Claremont School of Theology will then participate in the new multi-faith "University" programs alongside the Jewish and Islamic groups (link). This is a victory for orthodoxy?... :confused:

If you will do your homework, you will find out that The Reconciling Ministries Network is NOT an official organization within the UMC. It is an ultra-liberal caucus which has been repeatedly opposed by the General Conference. In fact, some were arrested at the last General Conference for disruption and trespassing. There is a fundamental battle going on in UMC, and stereotyping by any group is not helpful, especially to the conservative side. The Board on Church and Society is not taken very seriously by the mainstream in the UMC. That Board has been on the extreme left for many decades, and they have continually gone beyond their mandate given by the General Conference. That Board has gone through some radical budgetary cuts due to de-funding of much of what they advocate. At the past couple of General Conferences there has been a growing movement to disband the Board of Church and Society.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize this.

Wow! This thread grew fast! Thank you, everybody, for the words of wisdom.

Her church was very interesting. My greatest concern turned out to be Arminianism, which is actually a relief. While it is error, it's SO much easier to deal with then the other problems of the UMC. The only real weird thing was in Sunday school, they were discussing types of Christ, and somehow made the "sun" (yes, the glowing thing in the sky) to be a type of Christ. It was a weird analogy. All of the Pastors were male, and oddly, all of the people that served communion were male as well. (I'm wondering if they were elders, bishops, or whatever Methodists call them.) I did feel comfortable taking communion, which is saying something considering I'm a puritan. Remember when I mentioned flag waving in my first post? Well, there was a woman walking around waving a giant "Jesus" flag. The service kinda bordered on charismatic. I did end up concluding that her particular congregation is not apostate... just very broadly evangelical with weird things that occasionally trickle down from the UMC.

For those who are asking why she isn't going to church with me, she actually is. She's coming to my church next week. She really loves her church, though. Very deeply. She will not be leaving it. Thankfully, she is a genuine believer.

She really loves her church, though. Very deeply. She will not be leaving it.

This would cause me serious concern for the future. I would refrain from further emotional involvement until she is willing to sit under Biblical teaching.

Men, I thank you for the advise and words of wisdom. I did, however, determine that her church is not apostate. I was comfortable taking communion there. Though there is error in her church, there is also error in my church. I believe that she has placed herself under Godly authority. I will not see the full scope of this until I see how she reacts to my church, which is very much Reformed. As of what I know now, I will not be ending the courtship over this.

All I'm saying, Friend, is that if she's resolved not to leave her church, are you going to go to separate churches after marriage? Are you going to compromise and go to UMC? Here's to hoping that neither would be the case.

I agree, brother. That will have to be addressed, if we get that far.

Biblecyst, you have my prayers. Either way, some form of "compromise" will occur should the marriage take place. You and your girlfriend need wisdom beyond yourself for this.

Well friend, all I can say is guard yourself!!!!

I say this because God may be using you as a light in there to draw oput His chosen one's.

Remember God always has a purpose for everything that happens or you would not be attending there.

Brother, you say that Presbyterians believe that the sacrament (the Lord's Supper) "is Memorialism". That may be the position of the PCUSA which your congregation belongs to, but it certainly is not the official position of the more conservative Presbyterians such as the PCA, OPC, the RPCNA and even the RCUS, URCNA and historically Congregationalism and Reformed Anglicans. Question 96 of the Shorter Catechism says that not only do we feed on the Lord spiritually, but that this sacrament is a means of grace.

UMC is a liberal denomination. This is not to say that all churches in and of themselves are liberal, but the denomination as a whole takes a very unscriptural stance on many issues.

To tell the truth, I concur with others here who have said that she should be going to your church.

Men, I thank you for the advise and words of wisdom. I did, however, determine that her church is not apostate. I was comfortable taking communion there. Though there is error in her church, there is also error in my church. I believe that she has placed herself under Godly authority. I will not see the full scope of this until I see how she reacts to my church, which is very much Reformed. As of what I know now, I will not be ending the courtship over this.

Hi. I don't want to keep repeating what Josh and the others have said, but I feel like I should. I too was dating a girl who went to a methodist church- and lets just say, she didn't want to leave her church. Pray about it. Talk to her. I'm assuming you would have her become a member of your church when the time is right. So, just make sure you guys are on the same page.

I grew up in the UMC, and while there may be some elements of flag waving, feminist theology, etc., what one finds at any given church will vary from region to region, and church to church. I went to a decent UMC church in Mobile, AL while I was in high school, and while there were things there of concern (women elders, church-growth models, etc.), I wouldn't call the church apostate since they reflected the more conservative end of the UMC spectrum in their Gospel beliefs. I went to many UMC churches growing up across the south, and worked at a few as well, and never ran into flag waving... so maybe that's a northern thing. Anyhoo... Introduce your girlfriend to the original Methodist - George Whitefield - and have her read Dalimore's biography, and she'll probably want to be a true methodist after that instead of a UMC'r... Just say'n.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back