Visiting SBC church for the first time this Lord's Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

Puritan Board Senior
I've spent my entire Christian life in the PCA and will be worshipping at an old country SBC church with a friend over the weekend. What to expect?

An American flag, a Christian flag, revivalistic songs, an out of tune piano, an out of tune choir of old ladies, simplistic preaching, and an altar call.

An American flag, a Christian flag, revivalistic songs, an out of tune piano, an out of tune choir of old ladies, simplistic preaching, and an altar call.

Stereotypes rule. It might be a Founders church. Most of them are not like that at all. But, statistically you would be spot on.

An overweight pastor with a thick drawl.
"Every head bowed and every eye closed..."
"I see that hand... I see that hand..."
A potluck with delicious food, if you're lucky.

I was going to say that's an over generalization then i re-read the OP and ...
old country
... decided there's a 9.5 out of 10 chance you are right. :detective:

Yeah, it was his inclusion of the phrase "old country" that generated that image.

Would you believe that around here there is an old country church that for some reason joined the PCA a while back... and it fits that bill to the t as well?

Minus the altar call and the "simplistic" preaching (depends on how you define it) sounds like a lot of Reformed churches I have been in (of course outside the RPCNA churches I have been to...)

How bout that?! Just found the church on the web and grabbed this pic (attached)...

Seeing that is enough to make me physically ill.

I think the concept of a Christian flag is pretty silly and certainly unnecessary (at best), but if you're going to have it, you don't fly it below anything.

The caption is incomplete. It ought to say

"The Glory of the Lord........

......comes in second."

Told 'ya.

But I will say that this is a larger and nicer facility than I had imagined.

So it may be that the piano and/or choir WON'T be out of tune...

Yeah, I was told that it's a big church. Guess I'll have to post an update on the piano and choir.

My PCA church only has 50-60 members (which is a blessing in my opinion). The larger crowd is going to be a little different for me.

A potluck with delicious food, if you're lucky.

Raekwon is correct. Baptists, just like Presbyterians, know how to eat! They'll probably have a church cookbook full of all the ladies' best recipes. They usually cost between $8-$15. Make sure to get one. And another for me. ;):p I collect church cookbooks. :drool:

Michael, I'm from Lawrenceville! Is the church you'll be visiting in that area--I may be able to be more specific about what to expect.

Michael, I'm from Lawrenceville! Is the church you'll be visiting in that area--I may be able to be more specific about what to expect.

Hey, small world! Actually I'm going to be up in Forsyth County this weekend at Coal Mountain Baptist Church.

That said, I spend a awful lot of time at the stop light every day in front of the big First Baptist Church of Lawrenceville downtown. I think they program the light that way so everyone has to pause and check it out. :think:

Michael, we used to drive by that church on the way to a PCA church in Cherokee County (when we used to live in Cumming). It is only half mile or so from a local megachurch (a cookie-cutter megachurch, forget the name, but you can't miss it). I've never set foot inside, but it reminds me more of a small town First Baptist type church than strickly a rural church. But if I had to guess (knowing the area somewhat) it's likely to be a typical Arminian sermon you'll hear.

BTW, the governor's son has a church near there (meets in one of the local schools) and one of Andy Stanley's satellite churches meets not too far away as well.

I concur with Tim--It doesn't appear old-style to me, and the couple people I know that attend aren't old-fashioned rural dirt-scratchers but suburban types.

Minus the altar call and the "simplistic" preaching (depends on how you define it) sounds like a lot of Reformed churches I have been in (of course outside the RPCNA churches I have been to...)

Thankfully, I've not personally been to a PCA church with any of those things. I guess I've only been to six or so, though.

An American flag, a Christian flag,

Most likely displayed in that order

How bout that?! Just found the church on the web and grabbed this pic (attached)...
ICK.

Thanks Tim. Gotcha. I heard it was pretty traditional. Wasn't expecting it to be reformed but your insight helps since I'm not real familiar with the area.

Seeing that is enough to make me physically ill.

I think the concept of a Christian flag is pretty silly and certainly unnecessary (at best), but if you're going to have it, you don't fly it below anything.

The caption is incomplete. It ought to say

"The Glory of the Lord........

......comes in second."

Actually according to flag protocol it means that the U.S.A. is soverign over the church. :barfy:

I've spent my entire Christian life in the PCA and will be worshipping at an old country SBC church with a friend over the weekend. What to expect?

The singing of hymns or contemporary praise songs with instrumental accompaniment.

I doubt that there will be any kind of responsive reading.

No praying of pre-written prayers.

A baby dedication depending upon the Sunday.

It is unlikely that the preacher will say something like this at the end of the service: "May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord shine His face upon you."

Last edited:

Expect and pray for the blessing of God upon the word preached. If it is a founders church you should here the doctrines of grace put forth. pray and expect that in the providence of God, there will be a word in season for you.:book2:
If the church is not as faithful to the word,then the list of bad things in this thread will be inflicted upon you, and you will lament the sad decline in some of the churches in the day we live in.:(

Expect and pray for the blessing of God upon the word preached. If it is a founders church you should here the doctrines of grace put forth. pray and expect that in the providence of God, there will be a word in season for you.:book2:(

I will, sir.

From all appearances from the church's website it is not a Founders-friendly church. Also, Southern Baptist churches in various parts of our country are very different. I'll be quite frank: I wouldn't expect much. I might be very wrong but I don't think so. I sense that this would not be a church that I'd be comfortable being a member, but for a one Sunday visit it may a good experience. The pastor says on the website that they are a King James based church.

I suspect you will find them to be very traditional, friendly, and warm. However, I think most of the comments above are pretty accurate. Other than that, enjoy, Michael!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back