Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. According to The World is Flat (2005), Wal-Mart insures 45% of its eligible workforce (compared to Costco which insures 96%).

Wal*Mart does hire many part-timers, but that is good. Retirees and students are not able to work fulltime. The critics of Wal*Mart are not honest in their motives. It is not about equity for workers, it is an ideological attack against the nations largest retailer. But I digress.

Wal*Mart does hire many part-timers, but that is good. Retirees and students are not able to work fulltime. The critics of Wal*Mart are not honest in their motives. It is not about equity for workers, it is an ideological attack against the nations largest retailer. But I digress.

Or is it China's largest retailer?

Walmart good or walmart bad?

Truth is, Wal-mart is a mixed bag, just like every worldly institution.

Good: low prices, convenience.

Bad: pursuing the "gay" marketplace with gusto,
forces employees to work on the Lord's Day. This ought to be one of our top issues, as Christians! Every other group is catered to, except Christians who must absent themselves from worship in order to retain employment. There is a reason that the fourth commandment specifically addresses those who have "manservants, maidservants, oxes, and donkeys."

Walmart good or walmart bad?

Truth is, Wal-mart is a mixed bag, just like every worldly institution.

Good: low prices, convenience.

forces employees to work on the Lord's Day. This ought to be one of our top issues, as Christians! Every other group is catered to, except Christians who must absent themselves from worship in order to retain employment. There is a reason that the fourth commandment specifically addresses those who have "manservants, maidservants, oxes, and donkeys."

Not the mention the slave labor in third world countries used to make the products they sell. I know they are not the only ones, just the biggest. I recently read of a Chinese pastor in jail for illegal preaching who was forced to make 4000 christmas lights per day with beatings if his quota wasn't met. The lights were headed for America. This story comes from the VOM and is in the new updated english version of Foxe's book of martyrs.

Good thing I don't do Christmas...oh, I know...I do buy other things! I'm doing my best though. I buy alot of natural products and food products...all good ole' USA. However, I can't find material that wasn't made overseas.

Blueridge Reformer wrote:

Not the mention the slave labor in third world countries used to make the products they sell. I know they are not the only ones, just the biggest.

So is this a criticism of Wal*Mart or the American consumer? Why is this accusation levied towards Wal*Mart? You give assent to the fact that they are not the only retailers who sell foreign made goods, but it is an after-the-fact comment.

Ken Pierce wrote:

Again, is this a criticism against Wal*Mart alone? How many national retailers give their Christian employees off on Sunday as a matter of policy?

jfschultz wrote:
Or is it China's largest retailer?

No, Wal*Mart is not China's largest retailer. Retail is not the behemoth in China that it is in the United States.

My question is: why pick on Wal*Mart? You would think that Wal*Mart is evil and the rest of the nations retailers are clean on the issue.

Bill,

Absolutely not.

I think Wal-mart comes under special scrutiny because:

a.) They always used to feature "Made in USA" proudly on most of their stuff.
b.) They used to be closed on Sunday until Sam died (within last 12 years or so).
c.) They are the biggest kid on the block by about a factor of 4:1 over their nearest competitor, Target (if memory serves)
d.) They project a wholesome, family, down-home image that is belied by their courting of influence in the radical gay community.

So, yes, all are guilty, but some have fallen farther than others, and some have far more influence than others.

:banghead: Property - whatever WalMart wants, WalMart gets!

I have seen at least 2 instances where neighborhoods have fought battles and eventually lost.

In Vancouver, WA an entire apartment complex was razed to make way for the parking lot, displacing many people who could little afford a move.

In central PA people who had originally moved to a location for quality of life in the country lost it to noise pollution and an eyesore.

There is battle going on about 10 miles from here. Seeing what has happened in these last 2 instances, I'm sure that WalMart will win.

Whenever you fight WalMart, WalMart always wins.

There are too many "anti-Wal*Mart" posts to deal with them individually. There are two issues that need to be separated when scrutinizing Wal*Mart:

1. Reality
2. Perception

Just because a claim is made does not make it fact. Many times people are bandwagon jumpers. "Oh, time to bash Wal*Mart? I'm on board!" Keep this in mind, many Christians work at Wal*Mart. That doesn't make Wal*Mart a Christian company. But if sweat shop labor is going to be introduced into the equation, it is fair to bring up the fact that many believers work at Wal*Mart.

The reality is that Wal*Mart is an American business that seeks to make a profit. As a corporation it has no soul of its own. Its policies and practices are decided by a board of directors in Bentonville, AR. Wal*Mart provides the US market with low cost goods. Americans buy those goods in record numbers. Many of those who oppose Wal*Mart won't miss a sale at this retail behemoth. They act contrary to their convictions. In short, they really aren't convictions at all (I am one who believes that convictions are acted upon or they were never convictions to begin with). I do have respect for those who act upon their conviction and refuse to shop at Wal*Mart.

If anything, Wal*Mart is symptomatic of the greed and consumerism that permeates our nation. Wal*Mart only succeeds because people shop there. I have never seen a person walk into Wal*Mart with a gun at their back. In response to this I have been told, "In rural America, Wal*Mart is our only choice." First, that usually is not true. Second, the majority of Wal*Marts do have competition. Wal*Mart is no different than its competitors. KMart, Sears,Target, Kohls...these stores want the same customers. They all buy from Asian markets. They go to market differently, but they seek the same end.

Let me summarize my opinion. I do not see a business as good or bad. I see it as a business. I make my decision to shop there based on a number of factors. I am not pro-Wal*Mart anymore than I am anti-Target. Most of the time I don't shop at Wal*Mart! I go to other places because I hate the long lines and packed parking lots. But I also feel the same way about other mass merchandise retailers.

Oh, and yes...Wal*Mart has a strong legal arm and has used it to put up stores against fierce opposition. But you know what the hoot is? People shop there! If an entire community is against Wal*Mart coming in, why do they shop there? No one forces them to. In the end, the allure of spending less money motivates them to shop at Wal*Mart or at KMart. That is the part of the anti-Wal*Mart argument that galls me most. It is kind of like the fat person who walks 5 miles and works out on his total gymn, only to get a #2 meal "Supersized" at McDonalds. Lack of credibility.

I have stong opinions on this topic and do not intend for my response to be personal.

If anything, Wal*Mart is symptomatic of the greed and consumerism that permeates our nation.

Bill, I think this one sentence sums it up. The bottom line is the bottom line.

I work at Wal-Mart, for now anyway, and I can say without reservation that the associates at our store are treated fairly. We may not get as much per hour as we would like but it's better than the alternative.

I started at Wal-Mart because I could not find a job in the library field (that is a whole another story). Wal-Mart hired me when I was at the bottom financially. I started there under desperate straits. I am thankful that Wal-Mart gave me the opportunity to change that situation.

This may sound odd. Take it for what it's worth. I think God lead me to Wal-Mart because I was refusing to follow His will. I believe that God wanted me back in the pastorate, which I should have never left in the first place. I believe God chastened me and got me back on the right road again. It was a hard lesson, but I learned it well. Wal-Mart became the tool by which God taught me a number of things, mainly, to be obedient and humble before the LORD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back