War of the Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformingstudent

Puritan Board Junior
Anyone going to see it? Looks like I will have to wait till it comes out on DVD as I promised my wife she could pick the nest movie we see and she has her heart on seeing Herbie
next week.

The previews look like "Independence Day". :down:

I don't plan on seeing it for several reasons: Tom Cruise bores me, and it's probably me, but I just don't get the hype about Spielberg movies. But mostly, I have decided not to give my money to scientologists.

Perhaps all this recent media overexposure of Cruise is for a reason? One would think a blockbuster with Spielberg and Cruise would be enough to get people in the theaters.

Cruise is the star of one of my all time favorites....A Few Good Men!

The one review I read for this film claimed that Independance day was a BETTER movie!:barfy:

"It's a rare thing -- a summer movie that demands to be taken as a serious emotional experience." Village Voice Michael Atkinson

3/4 "War of the Worlds may not stand up well to careful inspection and it may not be the smartest science fiction film brought to the screen, but it is an intense, visceral experience." ReelViews James Berardinelli

2/4 "The movie is no fun. There's none of the spirited adrenaline you expect from a bang-up blockbuster. I've docked it a star or so because it is nasty and mean-spirited, and plays on shocking allusions to 9/11 imagery." New York Daily News Jami Bernard

2.5/4 "War of the Worlds pushes some of the right buttons and enough of the wrong ones to make you wish that Spielberg would move on from aliens already and use his unparalleled talents to focus once more on earth." Boston Globe Ty Burr
"War of the Worlds can be a nightmarish trip, but it's a terrific film, a blockbuster that lives up to its billing." CNN Paul Clinton (CNN)

C+ "Much is destroyed in Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds, but the movie never quite delivers an emotional knockout blow." Denver Rocky Mountain News Robert Denerstein

2/4 "War of the Worlds is a big, clunky movie containing some sensational sights but lacking the zest and joyous energy we expect from Steven Spielberg." Chicago Sun-Times Roger Ebert

A- "War of the Worlds is an attack-of-the-aliens disaster film crafted with sinister technological grandeur -- a true popcorn apocalypse." Entertainment Weekly Owen Gleiberman
"Exploring the dark side of his old films E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Spielberg more than does justice to the granddaddy of all alien-invasion tales, H.G. Wells' still terrifying novel published in 1898." Hollywood Reporter Kirk Honeycutt

i liked it quite a bit acutally...

Its really not an action film, so be forewarned before going in.

i definitely enjoyed it more than independence day, though i think the two are really different kind of films.

Originally posted by houseparent
Cruise is the star of one of my all time favorites....A Few Good Men!

The one review I read for this film claimed that Independance day was a BETTER movie!:barfy:

Ha Ha :lol:

If it's if ID4 was better, than it must be a dog. Even Roger Ebert gave it bad marks so that must be saying something.

[Edited on 6-30-2005 by Reformingstudent]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back