Warfield and Edwards advice sought

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccravens

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello,

After hearing much praise for BB Warfield, and that ML Jones highly regarded his writings, I was able to aquire four cheap used copies of his Works, volumes 2, 3 5, and 9. Maybe I was unwise in purchasing 4 volumes, but the prices were right. What I have found is that most of the chapters were articles written for publication in scholastic journals, or theological dictionaries. The articles written for publication in journals (often polemic) really isn't of much interest to me, and a little academic for my preferences. The chapters written as articles for theological dictionaries are a little more my speed.

My question is, aside from the 10 volume Works, are there any books that he wrote specifically as books, and not comprised of a compilation of articles? Are there printed sermons?

As for the Edward question, I was given to understand that the 2 volume Banner edition of his Works had very small font. Is that true, and if so, what are my options if I need larger font? I don't need huge, but I also don't need real small. If you are familiar with John Gill's commentaries on the books of the bible, those are much to small for me to be able to read without magnification.

Thanks in advance!

Regarding the Banner Edwards set, the print is exceptionally small, and the book gargantuan in size. It is quiet difficult to hold. If you’re looking for more practical editions, you can always browse through Yale’s complete collection of Edwards’ works and choose the ones that interest you. They are expensive, though.

Hello,

After hearing much praise for BB Warfield, and that ML Jones highly regarded his writings, I was able to aquire four cheap used copies of his Works, volumes 2, 3 5, and 9. Maybe I was unwise in purchasing 4 volumes, but the prices were right. What I have found is that most of the chapters were articles written for publication in scholastic journals, or theological dictionaries. The articles written for publication in journals (often polemic) really isn't of much interest to me, and a little academic for my preferences. The chapters written as articles for theological dictionaries are a little more my speed.

My question is, aside from the 10 volume Works, are there any books that he wrote specifically as books, and not comprised of a compilation of articles? Are there printed sermons?

As for the Edward question, I was given to understand that the 2 volume Banner edition of his Works had very small font. Is that true, and if so, what are my options if I need larger font? I don't need huge, but I also don't need real small. If you are familiar with John Gill's commentaries on the books of the bible, those are much to small for me to be able to read without magnification.

Thanks in advance!

Most of the older Banner books are small font. It's not great but it's readable.

Regarding the Banner Edwards set, the print is exceptionally small, and the book gargantuan in size. It is quiet difficult to hold. If you’re looking for more practical editions, you can always browse through Yale’s complete collection of Edwards’ works and choose the ones that interest you. They are expensive, though.
Another option would be to buy the ebook versions of his works.

If you can afford it, the Yale editions are the best option. They can be pricey and they take up more space than the BoT set. On the other hand, they are the standard reference style in the literature and most come with excellent introductions.

For B.B. Warfield, there are a number of books that are somewhat different in character from the 10-volume collected works.

Faith and Life, available from Banner of Truth, will give you some excellent sermons.
The Plan of Salvation is a coherent book on a less academic level.
The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit is a great collection.
There are other choices as well, but the two volume Selected Shorter Writings has Warfield at his most re-readable, and is eminently enjoyable and profitable.

For B.B. Warfield, there are a number of books that are somewhat different in character from the 10-volume collected works.

Faith and Life, available from Banner of Truth, will give you some excellent sermons.
There are other choices as well, but the two volume Selected Shorter Writings has Warfield at his most re-readable, and is eminently enjoyable and profitable.

Awesome, just what I was looking for. Just found a used copy of Faith and Life on Ebay.

Will look into the Shorter Writings.

Just ordered Faith and Life. I was also considering his Inspiration and Authority of the Bible. Is that something that would fit with what I've described that I'm looking for?

The prices on his Selected Shorter Writings are pretty high..

I've gotten Yale editions of Edwards at reasonable prices on ebay from time to time. Warfield's Shorter Writings in the P&R publication are in a comfortable font, and here again, used copies pop up on ebay, Bookfinder from time to time.

Another item of interest might be Fred G. Zaspel's 'The Theology of B.B. Warfield.' It is a synthesis of Warfield's writings divided into theological categories by the author.

Warfield never wrote a systematic, saying that he couldn't improve on Charles Hodge. I didn't like the book when I first got it because I expected it to be more text by Warfield, but I've since come to appreciate it more and more. Warfield wrote so voluminously that a distillation is helpful in understanding his thought, and figuiring out what you want to go after out of his own works.

Used hardcovers are relatively inexpensive at this time.

https://www.amazon.com/Theology-Warfield-Foreword-Sinclair-Ferguson-ebook/dp/B0042JSLP6

Warfield never wrote a systematic, saying that he couldn't improve on Charles Hodge. I didn't like the book when I first got it because I expected it to be more text by Warfield, but I've since come to appreciate it more and more. Warfield wrote so voluminously that a distillation is helpful in understanding his thought, and figuiring out what you want to go after out of his own works.

Used hardcovers are relatively inexpensive at this time.

https://www.amazon.com/Theology-Warfield-Foreword-Sinclair-Ferguson-ebook/dp/B0042JSLP6

Just ordered one thanks.

The Banner of Truth 2-volume edition of Edwards' works is identical to the 1830s Westley and Davis and 1840s Ball, Arnold printings, both done in London, except that these two 19th century editions have a 52 page introductory essay on the genius and writings of Edwards before the memoir which is the first item in the Banner reprint.

If you don't mind reading on a computer screen, for instance, you can find many different editions of Edwards, including some of the Yale volumes, at archive.org. This will overcome the print-size issue, at least.

The Yale volumes reproduced at the Internet Archive are:

(from the University of Florida)
Vol 1: Freedom of the Will
Vol 2: Religious Affections
Vol 6: Scientific and Philosophical Writings

(from Claremont School of Theology, in the "Books to Borrow" programme which allows only one internet user to read at one time, and no downloads)
Vol 7: Life of David Brainerd
Vol 8: Ethical Writings
Vol 9: History of the Work of Redemption
Vol 11: Typological Writings
Vol 12: Ecclesiastical Writings

The Banner of Truth 2-volume edition of Edwards' works is identical to the 1830s Westley and Davis and 1840s Ball, Arnold printings, both done in London, except that these two 19th century editions have a 52 page introductory essay on the genius and writings of Edwards before the memoir which is the first item in the Banner reprint.

If you don't mind reading on a computer screen, for instance, you can find many different editions of Edwards, including some of the Yale volumes, at archive.org. This will overcome the print-size issue, at least.

The Yale volumes reproduced at the Internet Archive are:

(from the University of Florida)
Vol 1: Freedom of the Will
Vol 2: Religious Affections
Vol 6: Scientific and Philosophical Writings

(from Claremont School of Theology, in the "Books to Borrow" programme which allows only one internet user to read at one time, and no downloads)
Vol 7: Life of David Brainerd
Vol 8: Ethical Writings
Vol 9: History of the Work of Redemption
Vol 11: Typological Writings
Vol 12: Ecclesiastical Writings

Awesome, thanks!

When I first got the Edwards 2 volume set, I used cheap reading glasses of about 1.5 or 2.0. It was tolerable under decent light.

Just ordered Faith and Life. I was also considering his Inspiration and Authority of the Bible. Is that something that would fit with what I've described that I'm looking for?

The prices on his Selected Shorter Writings are pretty high..

I think Inspiration and Authority of the Bible is a very good work, but it will partake more of that academic character you've run across in the volumes you've acquired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back