Was I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
A few weeks ago my wife and I took our pug for a walk. A mixed bread and boxer broke away from their owner (who I believe was drunk) and the two dogs jumped all over our dog causing her to yelp in pain. My wife picked our dog up and held her over her head while I grabbed the two dogs by their collars.

The lady mumbled sorry, grabbed her dogs and walked away...they broke away again and ran at my wife and dog until I grabbed them again. The boxer had jumped on the pugs back a couple of times and my dog had a limp the next day but she seemed alright.

Tonight I took my 10 year old daughter and her friend for a walk and we brought the dog along. The same two dogs broke away from their owner and came running at our pug. I kicked one in the head and other in the body, they turned and ran the other way.

Was I wrong to kick them?

I didn't know what else to. I feel kind of bad about it but they were wagging their tails when we seen them 5 minutes latter so I think they're ok.

No, they got off too easy. Even here in liberal California three attacks and a dog has to be put down.

The owner shouldn't be drinking and walking two powerful dogs...I still feel awful. Without knowing we walked by their place five minutes latter and the dogs watched us from the door of the house. The owner wouldn't even look at me.

I'm surprised you didn't get a bite from one or both dogs.

Why not carry a can of pepper spray from now on? Any laws against that in your locality? (a shame to have to ask)

Protect your dog, yourself and others from the dogs. Do what you have to do...and don't feel bad about it.

You did that right thing. I've taken my dogs to the dog park, walks, and just general canine socialization and find my self disciplining other people's dogs. What drives me nuts is people think I'm cruel because I keep my dogs controlled by remote shock collars. Some people think dogs are on the same ontological plane as humans.

You weren't wrong. Knowing what's "out there" I'd carry a short length of pipe wrapped in black duct tape, about 16" long. If they force you to use it that's not your fault.

I don' t think you were wrong, but as someone else mentioned, you don't want to rely on kicking. (If only because the dog could bite your leg). It seems like talking to the owner and explaining that you're worried about her dogs attacking your dog and children would be completely reasonable. If you don't get a good result from that, ask the police what your rights are. And if its legal, do carry pepper spray. I've used it very successfully against dogs, coyotes, and once a lynx. I haven't had it make anything more angry.

Edit: I actually carry bear spray, but I think regular pepper spray is more appropriate for your situation. (I use bear spray because we have the occasional cougar problem here, and I don't think regular pepper spray would cut it...)

No, I definitely don't think it was wrong. Honestly, I probably would have kicked the dogs the first time around.

You didn't overreact. I would have bit the other dogs (that's an overreaction).

:lol: that sound like my dad. whenever we were little and we would remark that something bit us - "dad, an ant bit me!" he would always respond without missing a beat, "well, did you bite him back?"

Where I grew up (WAY out in the country), there was a family whose dogs ran free through the neighbor hood. They knocked a lady down, chased dogs, attacked dogs etc. We called the police and asked them what could be done...they said, "Shoot 'em" (because they were considered a threat to people and property and livestock). So, we told the owners to get them under control, or we would act as the police told them to. That seemed to end it, mostly. They got loose once again, and another neighbor put one of the dogs down. So, a little kick is nothing -- I think it is well within your legal parameters to defend yourself (I don't know about shooting them in Canada).

You showed great restraint in my opinion. They would be perforated if they had done that when I was walking.

I think if you had stood passively by and not kicked them you would have been wrong.

p.s. My uncle had a pack of wild (well....domesticated dogs that had no owners and ran around sorta wild) dogs that always ran through his yard and also attacked his dogs. He finally prepared his guns. When they ran through , he shot about 6 of them within 30 seconds and thinned the herd by 80%. It gave him great satisfaction and I think was also justified due to the ferocity of the lead dogs in the pack. I think it made him feel like Rambo, which might not be a healthy emotion, but his actions still seemed justified. He didn't like all the burying he had to do, though.

I worked with a fella in Texas who said there were a couple of pit bulls that would come into his yard once in a while. With a little son, he was concerned with good reason. One day they came into his yeard, growling at the kid. My friend walked out, told them to leave and they growled at him. Returning to the house he emerged to end their growling forever.

Not the end of the story.

Not too long after he was talking to his fiance (maybe new wife by then) and she was telling the story of how her husband left her. She said when he left he let her keep the dogs.... two pit bulls. But she said someone shot them. After wiggling his way through telling her what happened she said, "it's okay, I never liked those dogs anyway."

You can't shoot them in Canada and pepper spray is illegal. I'll bring my hickory cane next time I go for a walk.

You can't trust people or other dogs. I think the wise thing to do would have been not to take the second walk.

If I knew that my dog, or worse yet my daughter, may have been hurt; I would have avoided the situation.

Even a pipe, cane, or whatever won't necessarily hold off an angry or attacking dog. My advice would be not to walk in that area again.

Pepper spray is illegal? What about way out in the country where you have wild animals?

I don't go outside without my bear spray... seriously.

The best thing to do with a dog, is to put it on its back, lay on top of it and bite the ear (not enough to cause harm) this shows you are the top dog.
Dogs are wild animals who are only tamed by humans but they are still animals.

The best thing to do with a dog, is to put it on its back, lay on top of it and bite the ear (not enough to cause harm) this shows you are the top dog.

Wait, are you serious? I mean, about the biting the ear bit...

I've definitely flipped dogs over before, but I believe I'll refrain from biting the ear...

I've definitely flipped dogs over before, but I believe I'll refrain from biting the ear...

It's an old Eskimo secret.

It's old training technique used on puppies. I doubt I would do that to a strange dog. :lol:

It sounds strange, but it works. When I was a kid, we got a new dog. He made the mistake of biting my dad. My dad bit him back (on the ear). The dog didn't do that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back